REALLY?!!!!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by lowatter, Aug 20, 2019.

1. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

I don't hate it.
    Curious about specs, how it plays, and how it sounds.
    For the price, if it passes all of those tests, what is so bad?

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I’m so shocked by all the negative responses! :rolleyes:

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

So it's a Helm's Deep tele then.

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It's a better deal than the road worn Strat I saw at Guitar Center under glass; $15,000.

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Made in World war 2

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Laughably absurd relic-ing. This fad has gotten so intense that a completely ridiculous treatment like this one gets taken seriously by some because relative to other nonsense "relic" jobs, it's similarly terrible. I have spent a lifetime immersed in guitars, and I have never, ever encountered a real guitar, including ancient ruined ones, that looks anything like this. I think it's stupid -- yup, stupid -- plain and simple. There are plenty of guitars out there, and I wouldn't be caught dead with an obvious joke like this one. I'm sure it took a lot of work for the "artist" to ruin it. I don't like to be so critical, but this is bad crap, IMO.

stevemc likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

OK this guitar has been a thing of nightmares for me over the weekend so I did a little sleuthing and found the origin story of this guitar.

Apparently around 1988 there was a young lad who came into some money from a job he had just finished. He just so happened to have a friend who wanted to become a luthier and commissioned him to make a guitar for him. This young man had been a rhythm guitarist in the past and wanted something that would pay homage to the rock and roll legends of his youth. He really like the Stones (he actually felt that Keef and he were so similar that Keef could possibly be his father) and he wanted something that would fill his Micwaber needs.

Originally the luthier parts master was a little worried about trying to build a "Micwaber" clone so the client and the parts master decided to just build a Butterscotch body with a tele neck and call it good.
    The original guitar looked like this...very clean lines and pure.

upload_2019-9-3_10-17-37.jpeg

The young man loved the guitar and played it for a while with his new band. He fell in love with that guitar to the point that he took it everywhere with him. In late 1989 he scored a great role in a movie but the role required him to sit for hours at a time while his character's makeup was applied. It was there that this young man put this guitar through its paces playing power chords galore and the major pentatonic blues scales for hours and hours as his makeup was applied. Alas some of the parts of his wardrobe did cause some issues while playing guitar but the young actor soldiered on and continued to shred for hours. I have attached a picture of the guitar player so you can see the obstacles he had to overcome while preparing for his role and still trying to get some practice in.

upload_2019-9-3_10-25-48.jpeg

The young guitarist/actor eventually went on to even greater heights of fame and still plays with a band today.
    Sadly he traded off his butterscotch tele at a GC in Los Angeles back in the late 90's and secured a nice Fender Tele with a white finish on a payment plan with a trade in credit.

[​IMG]
    Here he is today with his White tele.

So snatch this guitar up people, it has a piece of Hollywood history attached to it.

***this is a work of fiction, the names and places of this work are fictitious and bear no resemblance to any character real or imagined*** ;-)

lowatter likes this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll spend my $400 on a shiny, new Squier Tele. Probably end up with a much nicer guitar. That thing is nothing less than nasty looking.

9. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

Just don't get the fake abused look but to each their own. Comes with a gig bag. but why bother just toss it in the trunk with the spare tire and beer cooler.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Just once I wish there could be an intelligent discussion about relics without the "relic haters" coming out of the wood work. I don't think the point of the OP is hating relics. Its about the poorly done relic in the pic. We get it. There are those that hate relics. I don't know why the need to invade every relic thread. I don't particularly like Gibsons. Guess what? I don't go on Gibson forums.
    And this notion that its Poserism is just laughable. Some people play so bad they're a poser just for owning a guitar I guess.
    I used to have a Master built heavy relic. It was one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. Like a well worn slipper. I'm sure you've heard all the benefits of owning a relic yet you choose to paint relic owners as poor slob posers that don't deserve to live.

All I have to say about the relic it self is, what do you want for $400

Steve Perry likes this.
  11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I would. I love a guitar that you don't have to prance around worrying about every ding and bump. But then I don't treat any of my guitars (Martin authentics, Masterbuilts custom shops, etc) like the queen of the ball.
    I'll bet these guys that say "earn the bumps and bruises on a guitar the honest way", are the same guys that spend more time shining their guitars up than playing them. Their guitars will stay pristine for life. Ha, who's the poser?

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I'd say the discussion has been intelligent up until now. The inconvenient thing about opinion forums is that they welcome opinions. You don't get to tell people to shut up just because they don't ascribe to your worldview. If you are looking for a safe harbor, maybe ask the mods to create a relic subforum for everyone to agree with each other.

I guess a more intelligent discussion among "relic enthusiasts" would be a critique of the relic job itself. Well, have at it; What makes you say it was poorly done? Looks like a relic job to me.

Mosstone likes this.
  13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

You call intelligent logging in to a discussion simply to say you hate something. Why bother. I don't call that too intelligent. And its the same rhetoric that happens every time.
    "Polly wanna cracker"

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

LUF.gif

Mosstone and JuneauMike like this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Sure, I think having an intelligent opinion on something means that you can back up your opinion with a reasonably understood argument. Doesn't make you right, or wrong, just means you've put some thought into forming your opinion.

You've not argued effectively that this has been a "poorly done" relic job. It doesn't appear to be a poorly done relic job to me, it's just a relic job. What makes it "poorly done?"

16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

does'nt look any worse than other relics.reminds me of rory's guitar.i'd take one for the right price.it would have to be a real player for me to pay extra for one though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.