Really?! Why One Would Do This to a CS Nocaster

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by tube.tone, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

He's different.
    some players just want to have food on the table, he can have food on the tele. :twisted:

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Who cares? It's not my guitar.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Meh, that’ll buff right out with some compound.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

C'mon we really need to keep this private or I'll need another stash hideout for traveling state to state.

5. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

349A706A-1556-4BCE-9333-EDE090B0F085.jpeg I’m guessing this is probably what Micawber looks like if you were to lift the lid on it. If anyone has a smuggler tele I’m guessing it’d be Keef

rze99, 41144 and koolaide like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The guitar in the OP isn't rare, it's just over-priced

bender66 and Skydog1010 like this.
  7. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

Bad job

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

DanDII, Skydog1010 and Brocephus like this.
  9. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

There is no accounting human stupidity. And yes, that telecaster is now worthless except as a player / ashtray.

Some people in the world you just want to give an enormous kick in the ass, that person is a deserving one.

Maybe the idiot was planning on installing the world's biggest Humbucker PuP in the neck pool size cavity.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he was just routing for a humbucker and got distracted?

Brocephus likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Really, this.
    The guy assumedly owns the guitar. It's his to do with as he sees fit.
    Including running it through a woodchipper, if that's what he wants to do with his guitar.

You may not like it.
    It doesn't matter, at all.

12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

It's referred to as the "Smugglers Mod" but it's really for weight relief on those really heavy examples of Northern Ash.

As silly as it is to do it to a CS Tele, it is something people used to do back in the day, before people knew how valuable those old Teles were going to be. So I'm assuming that's how this guitar owner justified it.

If I ever finish this bad boy I'll be able to tell you how much that mod affects stability under string tension.

20170813_174901_HDR.jpg
    20170813_174640.jpg

A buddy's dad saved this wood for me when clearing part of his property. At first I was going to make a traditional Tele, but it was so damned heavy I decided to try something else. Will maybe do a belly cut & arm contour. Not because I think a Tele needs them but because it's still heavy.

opticnerv likes this.
  13. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

Probably done for weight relief, some ash Telecasters can be really heavy.with a bit of a tidy up and a nice piece of swamp ash it could be easily patched. I’ve got an old Tele body that had been routed for various pickup combinations over the years so it had huge amounts of wood missing under the scratchplate. I just tidied everything up with a router, cut a piece of wood to neatly fit the hole and stuck it in with Titebond. It’s now an Esquire partscaster that sounds great.

14. Brocephus

Brocephus TDPRI Member

For whatever reason, guitar owners are similar to Glock owners, in that they seem completely unable to stop ****ing with their perfectly good **** !!!!! And then, when they decide to sell that toy they swore they'd keep forever (to buy the next toy they think they'll keep forever....lather,rinse.repeat), then they invariably ask completely ridiculous prices on the classified sites, and are just mystified that no one is interested in helping them recoup their investment.
    I've all but begged my younger brother to stay the hell away from the Krylon and the power tools, when he's been drinking ! (and not because it's dangerous, he could pilot the damn space shuttle after a bottle of vodka,LOL, but because he goes off on some idiotic irreversible tangent "modifying" perfectly good stuff. )

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

The real question is "Why does it matter?" Like it hate it burn it chip it (wood-chipper) unless you want to copy it or buy it why would it be worthy of three pages?

Skydog1010 likes this.
  16. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

It appears to have plenty of space for an aggressive arm relief, but, a belly cut appears to have to stay steep and conservative to avoid breaking through your route. Nice looking body and route work.

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

I've heard the he expression eat you heart out but not. .... Eat the heart out of your Tele!

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I'm also working without templates but at least I have a router. Instead of "The Smuggler's Route" we'll call this "The Pharmacy".

Part of me really wants binding (at least on the top) so maybe there will be no contours. We'll see. I've had this wood for at least 10 years, so clearly I'm in no hurry to make up my mind.

I have Mahogany I'm using for another Tele I've had for almost 20 years. Lol. Good thing I don't make my living off guitar work.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  19. Skydog1010

Warren Buffet swears that much of his success is due to his ability to buy once, keep for eternity MOST of his holdings and personal possessions. I'm 66 and only in the last 20 or so years have I been able to buy vehicles and not purchase and install any aftermarket accessories. Current car 15 years old, 153k on the clock and still running strong.

As for the Glocks, stippled everyone one of them to fit my hand, 25 cent trigger job, and Lone Wolf barrels for all, my 23 shoots: 9, 357sig, and 40. My 20 shoots 357sig, 40S&W, and 10 mm.

I think the OP was just enlightened by how someone can make a mess of something nice and then probably wanting to sell off the mess, and wanted to share what they had run across. It happens a lot in consumer driven America.

20. Skydog1010

Bound would look nice.

G.Rotten likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.