Really Upset

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jklotz, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most are in their 90's or dead now........could it be sail?

A lot of people here get DWI's sitting in the drivers seat with the car turned off in a bar parking lot or near one..............

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

a homonym error at 6 am....

shakin' it here boss.

:oops:

3. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I have a no tolerance attitude for drinking and driving, but I still sympathize. You're definitely going to get a lot of responses you don't like. On a forum this size there are going to be more than a few that have known someone affected, even killed by a drunk driver. It's going to be a touchy subject. That' s not really he issue here though, and it' s really none of our business what the actual situation was.

I had a girlfriend that acquired a stalker who just happened to also be an officer. It was scary how much power he thought he had. It was also heartbreaking to see how miserable fear of being on the wrong side of the law can make someone. Camaraderie was so strong between the officers they just didn't believe her even after she started recording his calls and logging the stalking.

I have a lot of respect for law enforcement. Most officers are good straight shooters. One bad apple can really make your life a living hell though.

My sympathies to your family.

4. rolling56

Well when i lived in SoCali and it's the only place i've seen it used........people have 4 sail on their cars/trucks so i thought it might be a Cali thing :lol:

5. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Two years to sort out a DUI, what is wrong with your legal system?

I've known people with similar problems here in the UK get it fixed over a weekend.

Seriously the American legal system seems totally screwed, it's the one place in the developed world I fear most getting caught by the police.

I was watching a documentary recently about a 16 year old girl who killed a guy by mistake (well when I say mistake she thought she saw him go for a gun and pulled her's first) and not only got tried as an adult, but the trial took years and she got found guilty even though she should have been plead down to a lesser charge.

Recently a similar case occurred here in the UK (well a stabbing rather then a shooting) it took about 6 months for the whole trial and the kid was given an appropriate conviction and sentence.

Why is the legal system so bad in the US, is it the politicizing of the judiciary and police forces, or just a general disregard for modernization?

6. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

thanks for the kind words. I agree with the part about driving drunk, and I sympathize with anybody who has been a victim of the terrible things that can happen when somebody does it. In this case, she was not drunk. I've known her for 7 years - I've never seen her drive drunk.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Havent thought about my ex in over 25 yrs.. I know what state she lives in though.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good thing for him he got "promoted" when he did.

A cop walks a fine line with the judges. When they make fools of themselves on the witness stand, judges can tolerate only just so much of that. Up to that point, the judge and policeman are a sort of a team. Once the judge (especially elected judges) get embarrassed by this enough, they start complaining to the cop's boss. Sometimes a policeman had better get that promotion or they'll be looking for work at the Shop N Mart.

To those of you in communities with a quota system like this, lean on the administrator that's doing it. Same thing with photo-speeding and photo- red light tickets. Make it hurt, to the fool who introduced these procedures. Throw them out if they refuse to fix what they're doing. I don't care if it raises money - the next time it will be you they rip off. So what if your local town budget is balanced, if all the most worthwhile people decide to move on.

9. rolling56

off topic:

They put red light cameras in Springfield,MO a few years ago. A retired hwy patrolman got a ticket in the mail and took it to a higher court and challenged it. The law in MO says only towns of 500,000 (Springfield is 160,000 or close to that) i think it is that can use them so they had to turn them off till the state law changes if it ever does. The law also says a person can challenge it which it was not set up that way and people just had to pay like it or not. Now the town has to eat the cost of the cameras.............

10. Skintight

Skintight Banned

Did she fail a breathalyser test?

11. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

No, she did not fail the test, nor did she fail the field sobriety tests.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I think you have every right to be pissed. Police has becomne the problem, not the solution. Sad but true

13. Skintight

Skintight Banned

How can she be tried for a crime without any evidence?

14. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Try to find a lawyer who will work for a percentage, and sue EVERYONE involved in the case.
    Hit the police and the city where it hurts most....in their wallets!!
    My younger sister is an attorney, and has sodomized more deserving A-holes in Court than a serial rapist.

Steve

15. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've had many friends receive DUI's when they probably shouldn't have (and, no, I don't condone drunk driving at all), and I understand why you are pissed. However, when I still drank (sober 2 years), I did so at home, so as not to tempt any over-enthusiastic patrolmen, and got a designated driver if I were going to have a drink while at a gig or a party, etc.. The last time I got pulled over was on the way home from a show, 2 in the morning, and I was damned happy to be able to tell the officer that I hadn't had anything to drink. It just makes life easier.

16. Skintight

Skintight Banned

I think having even one drink is asking for trouble when getting behind the wheel of a car.

The only people who will win in this situation are the lawyers :(

17. GMAN715

GMAN715 Tele-Meister

If cops wanted to bust for DUI, why don't they just park outside bars & observe the stumbling drunks? Then bust them when they leave.

18. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

That's the point. They had none. The jury acquitted her of all charges in under 3 minutes! Her defense attorney said that may have been a record for Fulton County court. It was almost comical. The cop testified she took 10 steps instead of the 9 she was instructed, she had slurred speech, that she was traveling on a road that she was not on, on and on. Then they played the video of the arrest for the court. The defense attorney asked him to verify his testimony. He then changed it and said, no she only took 9 steps, no, her speech wasn't slurred, etc.

I though this stuff only happened in the movies.

19. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

No nations and politics, let's keep it forum-legal.

I've never been pulled over for DUI. I was stopped for weaving once when I was so dead tired I should not have been behind the wheel. That's very dangerous and I've had a few close calls due to exhausted driving - I'll never do that again. I'd rather get behind the wheel after a few drinks, than when I'm falling asleep (not that I'd advocate either one - both are really bad ideas).

Getting caught up in the legal system can wreck your life, or at least derail it for a while. A lot of it is about making money for towns that rely on fines to meet their budgets.

At least around here, the system is anything but fair. When I first moved here I was stopped at a checkpoint and ticketed for being a couple weeks overdue for my annual auto inspection. I had the car inspected immediately and when I went to court, I apologized, explained that I had just moved into the state, and showed proof that the inspection had been done. The judge said something to the effect of "too bad, we like people to obey the law around here" and slapped me with a hefty fine. The thing is, while I had been sitting in the courtroom waiting to be called, I saw one of the local town drunks come in. He had missed his court appearance date and this was his umpteenth time in for public drunkeness, misbehavior and whatnot. The judge gave him a friendly wave and told him to take care of himself. WTF?

A few years later I was a reporter on the local paper in the same town. I got pulled over for speeding. The officer told me he wasn't going to call it in, because he didn't want my name to go out over the radio, and let me off with a warning. Hmmm.

And a few years later still, I got pulled over in the same town - but after I was no longer a reporter - and busted for having a headlight out (it had just blown). No special treatment this time.

I've seen people who carry half a dozen different policy benevolent society cards for all the surrounding towns and counties, just so they can get out of tickets when they speed. It's not the policing that bothers me - it's the double standards.

20. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

A while back there was a cop here who did just that. He would follow the cars of people leaving the bar and pull them over a block or two away, then subject them to a breathylizer etc. The bar owners complained to the town board because the cops were hurting their business... people were afraid to patronize the place. Later the same cop was fired after he picked up a teenaged girl hitchiking, told her she was being investigated by the police (not true) and then propositioned her.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.