1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Really Short Tuning Pegs!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Nov 19, 2020.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

My bud recently dropped off his LP for a cleaning, restring, and intonation. I don’t know if you can see in my photos, but the shaft of the tuning pegs are really short! And, the hole for the strings is close to the bottom of the shaft. Is this typical on LPs? I’ve not seen it before on other Gibsons. It makes winding on the heavier strings problematic. Am I missing something?

79A5639F-7430-489B-92A0-417455A9EC3C.jpeg
    76CA7209-BED6-47C3-96D7-7AE2173D087F.jpeg

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

My R9 is like that too. Makes it difficult to restring.

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The thickness of the head as called out on my vintage LP plans is 0.575 - check yours. If yours is to spec you might want to go tuner shopping. Also, for what it is worth, when I restring any guitar I take the string to the next tuner and clip it off (about 1+ inch). Insert so 1/4 is sticking thru the hole and take one half wrap on top of the hole, then the rest below. It won't put that much string on the post and holds fine.

4. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I've used the below method on non-locking tuners for years. No need for extra wraps.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.