1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Really like the specs on the John Mayer OM Martin but.....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 2, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't want a guitar with his signature on the fretboard. (I felt the same way about the EC Martin).

I know it's petty but, although I recognize his talent, I am not a fan.

Honestly, it should be enough to just have his name on the interior label.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This, about $2400+ less!

My Blueridge ( OM scale but not the wider nut width, which I know folks dig)
    All solid- playing it right now!
    ( I'd LOVE the real deal, this was a very nice 60th Birthday gift from great friends)
    20190606_081953.jpg 20190606_082250.jpg

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My local music store has (had?) an OMJM and I spent a lot of time playing it. Its a very nice guitar but basically just a spruce over rose OM with a bit of aging toner. I've never been a fan of signature guitars regardless of how much I respect the player, but for the price of the JM (or the EC for that matter) there are a lot of great guitars I would rather have.

loco gringo and cravenmonket like this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

My uncle gigs with a OMJM, and it is easily the finest acoustic guitar I personally have held in my hands in ~35 years of playing guitar.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Just go with the standard Om? Cheaper. Unreal sounding guitars.

I mean, if there ever was "the one" I think the OM28 or maybe a OOO would be contenders.

spurgie79 likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

What a nice gift! Those Blue ridge guitars are very good, in my limited experience. They really sound and feel like craftsmanship

Treehouse and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Try a short scale 000 or 00. Tough to beat for the price. I prefer the 18 series in mahogany.

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It’s getting more difficult to find a Martin with a nut width of 1 11/16ths inches.

loco gringo and cbnutt like this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I've just gone and watch pictures of the model: the signature is quite low profile and I have nothing against signature gear really, provided it's an artist I like.
    I'm less than a fan of his, so it would really bother me.
    IMO, the fact that you're asking the question here proves that it would bother you as well. I would pass and search for another option.

10. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

+1

I've had a 000-28 for about a decade now and it's just a wonderful instrument. Looks great, beautifully balanced tone, nice mids, ideal for fingerpicking (which is what I do), and small enough to be comfortable for noodling for hours.

Tommy Biggs and spurgie79 like this.
  11. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Any experience with the 00-28? They look even more comfy.

cravenmonket likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I actually have a 000-18 which I love. I sometimes wish I would have paid a few more $$ for a 000-28.
    I know it's crazy but I want to upgrade at the same time as downsizing my collection. After all these years I've finally decided I don't need different types of acoustics. I would be happy with a single smaller body acoustic.
    The same is true for my electrics. I will keep a Strat and a Tele but not multiple versions of them and I will eventually sell or trade my SG. I can be satisfied with few guitars. There are no guitars that are sacred. I may upgrade my final Strat or Tele.
    I hit the big 7-0 so I'm going to make any upgrades I deem desirable.

13. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Never played one, but yeah, probably very comfortable to play. I think you'd probably hear more sparkly highs and subdued bass compared with a 000.

I don't use a thumb-pick or fingernails when I pick, so I'd be concerned that the bass notes would be too muted if I played a 00.

I also have a D-28 and it is wonderful. If I want more pronounced bass lines and volume, I pick the dread.

14. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I'm with you @burntfrijoles.

I'm probably a hypocrite because I own an Eric Johnson Strat. The only visual that Eric added was an engraving on the back neck plate. But looking down at the fretboard while playing and seeing a signature would truly bother me....although I might be willing to overlook the 'C.G.P.' on the Tommy Emmanuel Maton guitar!

spurgie79 likes this.
  15. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

The only signature I want on my guitars is the company founder's last name or that of the guy who actually built the guitar.

16. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Yes ! there have been several guitars i have passed on because of that , i dont know what Martin , and other makers are doing that for ?

black_doug and spurgie79 like this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, nut width is getting more and more important to me. Fortunately, there are Obsessive People in the world who ask questions and make lists like this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186657

Hanzalot, I salute you!

black_doug likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks that was a very nice gift
    it was basically a payback or a thank you from a left-handed buddy of mine who really wanted to get a Lefty D-28
    I had played a few Blueridge guitars before and had read that the Blueridge BR 160 which is basically a D-28 copy was a fantastic guitar for $700
    he has some money so I said buy the Blue Ridge if you don't like it you can return it and get a real D-28
    So he bought the Blue Ridge and basically it is the best acoustic that he's ever owned and it is an amazing sounding guitar unfortunately I can't play it cuz I left so he returned the favor along with the help of a few friends sorry for the voice activation

19. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a OM-28 Retro that I absolutely love. Its a good alternative to the "EC or JM" ones. It is expensive. I also have a standard D-28 that I also love.

20. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought the M-21 Steve Earle Signature model about five years ago. I was looking for a M series Martin as a good sized guitar for finger style and rhythm playing. I had a very nice J-45 that I loved the sound of, but not the depth. My shoulder started aching after long periods playing it. I’m 5’ 7” tall.

There was also a M-36 there that I played. I like the neck on the M-21. But I talked the store down on the price and took it home for $2700. The fact that it was NOS may have been in my favour.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.