1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Really frustrated with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitlvr, Oct 19, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

My new laptop has Windows 8 on it. It works well, I don't have any technical problems, but it is so darned hard to work with. I have such a hard time understanding how to even find things on it, or install new programs on it.
    For instance, I download things onto it, and then either cannot find them, or cannot get the computer to open them.
    i recently downloaded a free amplifier simulation(can't remember what it's called, but I got it through a link from a thread here), and when I go to open the file I get a warning about it being a dll file, and these files are not a good idea for me to open. It asks me what I want to open it with, but I can't open it with any option it gives me. And it seems really keen to direct me to "the store" to purchase something to open it with. On XP or Windows 7 it would have either opened the file, or given me an option to extract if I right clicked the file; something. With Windows 8 it's like pulling eye teeth. This happens over and over. I cannot download practically any type of application and get it to work, or half the time even open, in this version of Windows. Even if it is designed to work with it. I would like to meet the design team for Windows 8 so I could personally tell them just how much they SUCK!

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I am sure the Windows team would love to communicate with you but I don't think they have figured out how to open the windows. :D

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Word.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I downloaded an evaluation copy a few months before the release. Spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to move something from one directory to another. Uninstalled it and switched to Macs.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yeah, basically because this version of Windows is so different from everything previous to it, I can only use it to surf the web. If I want to actually do something else, I have to go to my older computers. If I had known this, I'd have bought one of those cheap web books or net books or whatever they're called and saved my money. Could have built a nice guitar with the savings, too. :cry:

6. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

I have it on my new laptop. It's not bad at all if you have a touch screen.

I'm coming from a Mac and windows 7 computers, and I'm young, so maybe that has something to do with it:p. I only use that computer for CAD/CAM work, so I mostly just open and close Mastercam on it and occasionally hook the computer up to the tv to watch Netflix on the big screen.

I can see how those without the touch screen would hate it, though. I end up reaching for the screen to navigate, then the mouse when I'm actually in the program I need.

7. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Note to self:

Sell all Microsoft stock NOW.

8. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Go to http://classicshell.net/ and download the free Classic Shell. It will make a huge difference in Windows 8 usability (returns the Start button and Programs menu that you're used to). Microsoft isn't concerned about the traditional PC market any longer. They are like land-line phones were ten years ago - still plenty around then, but the numbers showed they would extinct in about 15 years, and now we are just about there. Same with PCs or anything that isn't a tablet or a phone.

Also you need to find the .exe file to load the app, not the .dll. Scroll through all the Tiles to the right and I'm sure you will find your downloaded program. Google Windows 8 tutorial and read through a few - it will really help you out.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

take a look

I think Win8 is the right step for them.
    change is hard. the link above will help ease the transition, is simple and won't break.

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have no problems with it. Been using it on my computers for over a year. Upgraded to 8.1 when it went gold last month. Even better. I also use Win 2012 (the server equivalent) on my server. Again, no problems. I use Office 2013, multiple graphics/photography programs including an artists stylus and pad, astronomy and astrophotography programs, various music programs including vinyl conversion programs, all with no installation or operation problems. And I only have a touch screen on one of my computers at work. Last weekend, I bought my first smart phone, a Windows 8 phone. Times change.

11. ss_convert

ss_convert TDPRI Member

Ironwolf has the right idea. Upgrade to 8.1. I just came out. It adds the start menu back and lets you boot directly to the application desktop, bypassing the whole tiles experience.

12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The 'Start' button in Windows 8.1 just pops you back to the App tiles. The same as hitting the Windows key. Right-clicking the 'Start' button does what Windows key-ctrl X did, plus a few more options (like Shutdown, which is nice).

Windows 8 is rock solid - but for most people, most working people, you still have to hop between two interfaces more than you'd like.

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It takes awhile to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's easy.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

8.1 or 8, the start button secret is to right click on it.

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

+1

16. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

I just spent 3 hours trying to get it to connect to my airport extreme. Whats weird is it did fine initially with the little airport express during the initializing process for the laptop when new but not so with changing to the extreme. It finds the airport extreme but it cant find an ip address for the cable modem/internet. I finally gave up in misery.

17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

They make it just hard enough so that when you can run rings around it, there's a new counterintuitive system to occupy you, similar to crosswords or knitting. I confess that's when Google comes in handy.

18. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I like it. The tiles are just a different way of displaying what was the old start menu with a few things missing, non essentials really.

I am downloading 8.1 as I type this, it should make the experience even better.

But I agree with the guy that said Microsoft is treating the desktop like the landline...something that is necessary but headed for the sidelines. Mobile touch devices are king. I personally have 4 such devices in my house. I only use my laptop for certain MS Office documents that I have to work on. But I'm sure even that will end up entirely cloud based soon (program and files).

I believe that all our devices will basically end up being "dummy terminals" that are just used for input/output through which we access the cloud for all our programs, apps, and files.

We will all have to learn to let go of that "big brother" fear if we want to keep up (I'm glad I have). Otherwise put down the devices and go practice guitar. Lol!

JMHO. YMMV.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I find it's much easier to integrate and create a flexible network with 8, and this does pose something of an indicator to what Chris just said above, regarding clouds. But once those dissipate and the big alien cyborg is revealed, you better hope your credit is good! And they said libraries were dead. Pshaww!

20. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Ever time the current. version of window just about has the bugs ironed out the "up grade", and it's
    here we go againand apple???????don't ask mac my power book had the mother board and the hard drive fail after two years. Never left the studio , never left the table that it sat on.
    Cost of repairs.$1100.00 , no ! No! I'm sporting a nook. I'm kinda done with fancy computers for a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.