Really enjoying semi-hollow and hollow body electrics lately...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Jan 4, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My first electric guitar was a solid body '64 Silvertone with amp in case. My second guitar was a '66 Penncrest, (J.C.Penneys), smaller version of a Gibson ES-335, (much like the later Gibson ES-339). During the whole psychedelic era of the '60s that Penncrest was my guitar. I played it exclusively until I got my Gibson SG Deluxe solid body in December of '71. In '71 I had discovered The Alice Cooper Band and just had to have an SG just like Michael Bruce was using. While I loved the way the SG played, (a super freakin' fast neck), I missed my semi-hollow almost immediately. There was just something missing. This goes double for clean tones. I knew the difference as soon as I started working on the then recent radio play of Ten Years After's "I'd Love To Change The World". The SG could never ever create the clean tones of Alvin Lee's guitar work. Those haunting clean leads were just out of reach. Today I own a Gibson CS-336 to cover those tones and a Rickenbacker 1993 Plus 12 string to cover the clean psychedelic tones from that time period. I've owned multiple hollow body electrics but have never found a keeper. I love the way you can control feedback by adjusting your position to the amp but I've just never found a hollowbody that produces the sustain of solid or semi-hollows.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve recently jumped on board as well. My wife grabbed this for me as a gift a couple months back. Totally out of the blue. It just showed up on the doorstep because she thought I’d like it.
    234D04AD-4C46-4257-8F32-C6305A5C9FC7.jpeg

It’s a D’Angelico Ltd Ed Grateful Dead model.

Ridiculous sustain, and thick juicy tones. Dark and smooth, but not at all muddy. I love how thick and fat it sounds, but that I can still play open position chords with overdrive and hear every note clearly. Great chime and separation. Plays like a dream, too.

drlucky, FenderGyrl, Vanzant and 12 others like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Me too. My last two acquisitions are semi-hollows/center blocked instruments.

D79185E3-7647-472C-B258-B990F1B3C3E9.jpeg EFE2DF05-A209-40C8-8AB5-715322981B61.jpeg

8trackmind, Zepfan, bender66 and 10 others like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I completely agree.
    They look super cool, but don’t quite get it sonically, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve always thought of it like a non-functional hood scoop. Looks fast, but in reality, doesn’t do jack.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

7. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Nice collection!!

DHart likes this.
  8. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Just for fun, I did a test/demo where I play a Gibson es335 and a extremely cheap Harley Benton Hb35 side by side. Interesting results

Hiker and Mad Kiwi like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Perfect timing for this thread. I just added a full hollow thin line to my old goto semi-hollow Sheraton II: IMG_4163.JPG

Binx, telestratosonic, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  10. Obsessed

BTW, did you take that photo? It should be mounted and framed. Beautiful.

John Backlund and DHart like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

That's another Grote! I debated getting one like yours or the 335 type......I ended up with the 335 semi-hollow. My tech and I simply can't understand how they can make the quality they do at the prices they charge. Prison labor, maybe?

telestratosonic and Obsessed like this.
  12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I scratched that itch with the Ibanez artcore line. I have an AM73 and an AS73. Pickup changes are a PITA through sound holes but otherwise I am very happy. The action on the 73 is so slinky and low I had to go up a string gauge.

13. Obsessed

I gotta believe this is the same production line as the Epi "inspired" 1966 Century. The tooling to press the arch top piece alone could not justify these Grotes. Just a theory of course. The electronics are crap, and the finish needed some extra elbow grease, but otherwise the fit and overall quality is almost par with the Epi that cost 4 times more.

A keeper for me. I already replaced the output jack. Pots and switch are next, plus some arch matching work on the floating bridge.

14. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I play hollow and semi-hollow guitars 90% of the time.

A quick cross section...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

drlucky, Zepfan, c.winn and 20 others like this.
  15. nojazzhere

I've wondered about who actually produces them. I looked mine over VERY carefully when I got it, and the only flaw I found was the first fret marker (faux MOP) was loose, and I reglued it. The wood finish is flawless.....I don't believe a Gibson could be any better. As mentioned, it did require a full fret dress and level, but even still, at $160 for the guitar and $80 for complete setup ($240 TOTAL) it's an incredible value. Since I prefer a master volume/master tone arrangement, I rewired mine that way, but that's just me. BTW, I haven't gigged with, or even had band practice with it yet, but my initial appraisal of the pickups is pretty favorable. I may keep 'em......

telestratosonic and Obsessed like this.
  16. Obsessed

I have extremely limited experience with P-90s, so I really can't assess it objectively, but it seems quite adequate to my ears and responds as it should.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh, that Framus!!

Personally, I think it’s mandatory to have both solid and hollow (or semi-hollow). Whichever is your preference, you need the other for balance.

Hiker, telestratosonic and DHart like this.
  18. nojazzhere

I'll have to wait and see (hear) how I like the 'buckers, but if I WERE to replace them, it would probably be with P-90s. I have two P-90 guitars.....my 1960 LP Jr, and a PRS SE One. Both incredible guitars.

Obsessed and telestratosonic like this.
  19. Christeefur

Christeefur TDPRI Member

It’s perfectly acceptable to need to have solid, semi, hollow and acoustic instruments preferably more than one of each...apparently

Obsessed, telestratosonic and DHart like this.
  20. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

76E639CD-26A3-42B1-B707-F8226DD5ACB8.png If I could own one guitar only and price was not a option.. this would be it.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.