Really cheap ($70) Tele copy...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not inclined toward a Tele myself right now, but if I wanted a cheap one to mess around with, I doubt they get any cheaper than this...

Monoprice India Tele (Red)
If I were looking for a "cheap" Telecaster-style guitar, (I'm not) I think I would look for one that I was reasonably sure would accept standard-ish parts......including necks. I was fortunate when I bought my first Tele, a 1993 Made in Korea Fender Squier, over twenty years ago. That poor guitar suffered through so many changes (multiples of bridges, pickups, pickguards, even necks) that it probably has identity issues now. (although it's a GREAT player)
None of that would have been possible (easily) if it hadn't had pretty accurate Fender specs. Working on that guitar for so long allowed me to know EXACTLY what I wanted when I decided to build (assemble) my own.
BTW.....my first cost $100 used, at a Guitar Show. ;)

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I do not need another cheap project guitar.
I do not need another cheap project guitar.....

(Oh, no, I just got an email from them saying I could get an additional 15% off. The struggle is real....)

EDIT #2: I ordered it. It was just too hard to resist at that price.

Last edited:

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
For that money why not. I have some cheap guitars that I like as much as my expensive ones.

Also did you notice the black guard style switch tip.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
That's a great deal if you like the color. The blue one was on sale a couple of weeks ago. The more popular colors never seem to be on sale. I'd grab the blonde one if it ever gets to that price.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
With those kinds of guitars, it's what kind of wood are they made or how much slave labor and/or working conditions were they constructed from? I could never touch that price even if I got super deals on the parts. If you just need a disposable guitar, then maybe, however most people get the urge to upgrade parts and pieces and then that is when you start to throw good money after bad. You usually get what you pay for when it comes to guitars. Take it from me, I have owned the cheapest of cheap all the way to the top of the line, and that that statement still rings true. I still have some of those cheap guitars sitting in their original boxes. I am just looking for some worthy kid to give them to and then I will be done with them.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
With those kinds of guitars, it's what kind of wood are they made or how much slave labor and/or working conditions were they constructed from?

In this case, basswood but basically it's whatever the bulk buyer wants in terms of wood and price point.

You can go on YouTube and see the working conditions in these factories. Almost all of them are in a relatively small industrial park in southern China. It's actually not significantly different from manufacturing operations (non-guitar products) I've supported in the US South and Mexico. And, it is significantly better than the factories my Grandfather worked in as a kid 120 years ago.

If you just need a disposable guitar, then maybe, however most people get the urge to upgrade parts and pieces and then that is when you start to throw good money after bad. You usually get what you pay for when it comes to guitars.

What you get for your money now in terms of guitars has vastly improved. Most inexpensive guitars now are quite good these days, a lot better than their counterparts from 20+ years ago. That's why pros can grab an off-the-rack Squier and play it in front of 1000's of people with few, if any, modifications and a little setup work done by a good tech.

Bob Mc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A few years back I bought a Monoprice J bass copy to leave at our rehearsal space. Not sure if they get them all from the same source/factory, but mine was serviceable OOB (and damn near in tune). I think it was sub $100. Over the years I have upgraded it when I found bargains (like a set of USA Fender pups shipped for $50), but its a solid instrument for what it is.

I have no doubt that they sell some lemons, but I am very happy with mine. Enjoy

Paca G51

TDPRI Member
One of our neighbors , 11 year old boy wants to be a rock star and wants one of my guitars ! Well , I can’t go there , but would one of these Tele’s be a good starter for the future “American Idol” ? For that price I would purchase one for him

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
One of our neighbors , 11 year old boy wants to be a rock star and wants one of my guitars ! Well , I can’t go there , but would one of these Tele’s be a good starter for the future “American Idol” ? For that price I would purchase one for him

I'll post a review when I get mine, it looks like it will arrive on the 24th.

Usually these guitar will need some setup work. Are you prepared to do that?

Something else to think about is that for the average 11 year old, a Tele style guitar might be on the big side.

Paca G51

TDPRI Member
I can do all the set up work and mods if needed . As fas as the size of the Tele , Richie is smaller than average and I was thinking about a mini Tele or Strat ????

Dino Velvet

NEW MEMBER!
The quality of the cheap stuff just keeps getting better. The CNC machine doesn't care which country its sitting in.
We keep forgetting that places like Rondo have been selling cheap playable guitars for 20 years.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I can do all the set up work and mods if needed . As fas as the size of the Tele , Richie is smaller than average and I was thinking about a mini Tele or Strat ????
My son is big for being 10. I think that he would probably struggle with a full sized tele. He has a Squier mini strat which fits well. Could probably get away with a Mustang as the next step up in size.

Mini strats are usually pretty inexpensive (under $100) on the used market because they are no longer of any use to the seller and there is a limited number of buyers. I've come across a couple of used Bullet Mustangs for $100.

Paca G51

TDPRI Member
What could you do? You had no other choice!
My son is big for being 10. I think that he would probably struggle with a full sized tele. He has a Squier mini strat which fits well. Could probably get away with a Mustang as the next step up in size.

Mini strats are usually pretty inexpensive (under $100) on the used market because they are no longer of any use to the seller and there is a limited number of buyers. I've come across a couple of used Bullet Mustangs for $100.
Thanks for the info . The search begins for a Mini