1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Really BAD Insomniac! Advice??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, May 11, 2015.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Exercise, don't eat like a horse at too late an hour, no coffee in the afternoon, drink more water...exercise. Don't fall asleep too early on the recliner.

That's always been my issue. Then I have to go work out in the shop til 3 just to get tired again.

That doesn't work well. lol

2. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

OP you've been given some great advice, particularly regarding not sleeping during the day.

I think it's important you realize the human body will always eventually get the sleep it needs. If a person is up all night most will doze and nap the next day. You must establish a schedule where you only sleep at night and then you will sleep at night. Do not take naps in the daytime.

If you've been up all night try to not drive.

3. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Look on the bright side, only 3 more sleeps till Christmas.

4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. Plenty of cultures utilize the "Siesta" to stretch their daytime
    activities into the night.

5. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I use the unisom sleep capsules. They're the same medication as benadryl but in a higher dose. They put me right out, with no morning handover whatsoever.

6. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Some tips:
    Don't get on or in the bed except when you are going to go to sleep. (this is of course, excluding the other obvious reason)
    About 2 hours before bedtime don't eat or drink anything except water. This doesn't need to be lifelong, but just until you get back into a normal sleep cycle.
    Keep your room cool. This above all else will help you sleep the best.
    As much as it would be nice to do don't nap during the day at all. Train your mind to know that "it's 11pm and we're going to sleep".

Have you had a sleep study? I had one done and due to my snoring I was waking up at least 60 times an hour during REM sleep. After a while this led to insomnia and I got a C pap machine.

This along with the great advice above should help with sleep.

7. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

A couple of other things.
    Have you added or withdrawn from anything in your life that used to be part of your
    daily routine?
    The other is a noise machine. Studies have shown that while some have a rough time at first getting used to it, a steady even noise that drowns out other noise makes you sleep better. I use a fan. Works great.

I don't do it, but one of the things that helps is if you are going to bed at 11, about 10:30 sit down and relax. Just let your mind wander and clear itself of the stress of the day.

But really one of the things that may be keeping you awake is going to sleep in the chair when you get up.

8. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

At my age,yes it is!

Tell her,this is all about getting to sleep,tell her not to be selfish. ;)

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Grab some old electrolytics books from the golden age of vacuum tubes.
    Besides putting you to sleep you'll slowly learn more about your amplifier.

10. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, a boring or even a good book will put me out in no time.
    Another one that never fails-
    If I try watching a program on TV that I really want to see, I'll dose off for sure.
    Last night I sat down to watch Don Rickels and Howard Stern on the Late Show and woke up just in time to see it was over. :(

11. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

All good advice here (though I'd be wary myself of using sleeping pills). I was a bad insomniac when I was younger. A white noise machine is what cured me (a fan works well too, and helps keep you cool). For me, the white noise just shuts my brain off.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Enya Orinco

If she doesn't put you to sleep seek medical advice.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yes I have a playlist that rarely fails to put me right out

14. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

my other advice isn't allowed on this forum :)

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THIS

16. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

+1

everyone I know in my circles that has tried it has had the same result. Makes you do bad/crazy stuff...:eek:

17. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Warm milk before bed no caffeine after 3 pm go for a brisk walk

Ambien Is evil,my dad took it one time he got up trying to get his guns
    And he said the Serbs are coming lol he did not remember nothing the next day

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I've been an insomniac all my life. But I've found something in the past year that has really worked for me. Once in bed I'll watch 20 min of TV (usually old western TV series). Then TV off and mini iPad on. I watch my favorite show on Amazon video - 'Deadwood'. Always with CC (closed caption). There's something about the completely dark room with only the light from the iPad that I find comforting. Never takes longer than 10 mins to fall asleep.

19. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Lots of good advice here.. One thing I can add is daylight.. Get up and out early and get some daylight to help set your body clock.. Be careful with sleep meds, lots of side effects and their effectiveness wears off quickly. If it's a hiatal hernia (reflux) diet can go a long way help. Google GERD DIET.

20. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've suffered on and off with this for years. Its can be extremely frustrating. In recent times, I seem to have gotten control of it. There's not a magic trick to cure it, but there are lots of little things you can do. Among them....

1) Avoid sweets, especially chocolate before bed.
    2) Munch a small handful of nuts (almonds,peanuts) an hour or so before bed. Protein supposedly helps.
    3) Don't fight it. If you can't sleep don't wrestle around in the bed. Get up, get a book or something, and soon you'll find yourself sleepy.
    4) Meditation. If you do it right....it really works.
    5) Someone mentioned "imagine yourself building a house". This is what the kicker is for me. Its sort of like the counting sheep theory. Sometimes I inventory my guitars, and try to think of the mods I'd do to each one as I think of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.