Realizing I have too many guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teledude66, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I had three guitars for twenty years until I started playing sessions. Two years ago I found that I was out of space in the guitar room (even after moving three to the studio). I've since dropped the group total by three guitars. I realized I was trying to get a particular guitar sound on the cheap, and failing, and so traded upwards, five out, two in.

I think I may have made one mistake in the bunch - letting one go I should have kept. Oh, well.

Bob

teledude66 likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have been thinning the herd a bit, but need to step up my efforts. One incentive is I can use the $$ to buy other things I need to perform and record whole songs at home. A synthesizer and a good PC AD sound interface are top of my list.

teledude66 likes this.
  3. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I’ve dropped down from a high of 18 or 19 guitars to around 10.

6 are acoustic. One strat.

I dropped to only three teles:

Custom Shop 2005 Ltd 52 Tele
    Custom Shop Tele Jr

I think I can make do . . .

teledude66 likes this.
  4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Downsizing one's living quarters forces some painful decisions, but it's really been for the best. I've whittled it down to three electrics, a bass, one tube amp and two solid-state "acoustic" amps.

I have too many steel-string flattops though. I have one for the stage. Since it doesn't sound that great unplugged, I wanted another good-sounding acoustic, so I got that. Then I inherited my dad's guitar (which is not very good, but you know, sentiment). Then I picked up a Craigs List special Yamaha that I couldn't say no to for only $50.

One of the electrics doesn't get played much, so it should probably go. And at least two of the acoustics must go. And one acoustic amp. I also still have a crap-ton of stuff like mic stands, cheap studio mics, a 10-ch audio interface, 3-space rack, music stands, etc. etc. that are just moldering away in closet and attic.

I think I need to stage a musicians yard sale.

Bjackcity and teledude66 like this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I do not have too many guitars.
    Last count stopped at 32. Not including 6 mandolins. They all get played.
    The secret is to store them vertically in their respective cases. (In closets with motion detectors) That way, they are all accessible when ever the mood hits.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't have enough guitars. In fact I may go out today to look for a beater to work on (have some extra pickups that need guitars).

teledude66 and bftfender like this.
  7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry I'm late to the meeting,,, I confess, I too am guitarded:cool:
    I now have 45 guitars, because a stunning Carvin guitar, which I didn't own before so there's that, kept whispering sweet nothings to me!
    I'm sick,sick,sick, and I don't give a damn,,, bra ha ha ha:twisted:

8. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

LocoTex likes this.
  9. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

I think, unless you're touring and really need all the gear, above 10 guitars is pretty excessive. How do you even play them all?
    Now, amps, on the other hand... Too much is not enough!! :)

teledude66 likes this.
  10. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I have one guitar,

And one bass.

Sure I would like to have a couple more, but it’s not quite possible right now, because of a bunch of reasons.

15 guitars? You lucky hoarders... :D

kodiakblair and teledude66 like this.
  11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you'd quit school sooner you wouldn't be able to count that high and it wouldn't be an issue. If you are highly educated you will arrive at a solution that is additive. I added a second story.

teledude66 likes this.
  12. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

A few years ago I sold 13 pedals and six guitars and was left with two pedals, one amp, and three guitars. Minimalist guitar makes me focus on playing rather than collecting. Just my two cents!

13. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I'm not telling besides I started another one today:rolleyes:

teledude66 and Shuster like this.
  14. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don’t have too many guitars; I have too much stuff in general. That includes books, outdoor gear, tools, kayaks, and a lot more. I plan on spending the next few years thinning out all my possessions.

teledude66 likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I only had a few. I think they've multiplied on their own. I think I have 20 instruments which includes, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins, basses, steel guitars, a tenor banjo... I'm probably forgetting something.

How many guitars do you need?

One more.

teledude66 likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My little passel is just right, I've decided. My "just one more" may or may not ever get built--a friend of mine is starting out building--and I'm very pleased with the quality and variety of the nine guitars and three amps I have.

I'm almost done moving into my new studio (I commandeered an unused bedroom), and now all my guitars are hanging out ready to go, none in cases. There are still four hanging around the rest of the house, where they've always been, but now there are five hanging in the study, and I've moved the amps in there now. When there's nobody home my Classic 50 can crank a bit higher than before, and I can sit out in the living room and play it at the end of a 30-foot cord. Sweet sound.

All the stuff I've brought in here came from nooks and crannies around the house, some from the back porch where it's been since I packed it home from school. Kind of dresses up the whole place!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

I have a couple of acoustics but I only count the telecasters; 12. Three years ago I had 1.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    triviani likes this.
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That hasn't happened to me, but then I only have eleven guitars...
    01-04-2019 - Couch shot of my collection (2).jpeg

Shuster, P Thought and tapollok like this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I just sold everything I didn't used for the last two years... and bought a 6120 with all that money

geobookman likes this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I have three electrics and 2 1/2 acoustics (two active, but another parlor sized acoustic that will live at my daughter’s place on the other coast so I’ll have something to play when we’re staying in her area). I enjoy em all and don’t need to get rid of any. BUT we’re in a winter rental for three months now and I only have one of each with me and I’m honestly loving the simplicity. I never have to think about what I’m gonna pick up. I may get down to two electrics and one active acoustic soon. I can’t go back down to one electric - I gotta have a strat but not ONLY a strat, gotta also have something a little beefier, with P-90s or humbuckers. But I could absolutely never see having MORE than I currently do. Also amps - I have a Blues Cube at home and bring a little Blackstar HT-1 to our rental, but really the Blackstar is plenty for the small rooms they both live in so I may go down to just the Blackstar too... They both sound great behind a small pedal-board but the blues cube is probably overkill since I rarely play it above the .5 watt setting...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.