Realizing I have too many guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teledude66, Jan 16, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

nonsense, no one ever has too many guitars, if anything its merely a case of not enough guitar picks.

El Tele Lobo, Shuster and teledude66 like this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have the opposite problem. It's a guilt syndrome from feeling like I have too much (and I really don;t have too much, compared to a lot of other people). So my habit has been when I get something new, I sell something. That way I feel good about being thrifty, and I can justify new purchases to my wife. But it has caused a problem that sometimes I regret getting rid of things too quick, and i miss them. Right now I'm even thinking about seeking out a couple things I have let go in the past. So my new personal rule is: if you like something, and you think it sounds really good, just keep it!

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First

World

Problem

No

Tears

For

You

o_O

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I suppose as vices go, having too many guitars is relatively benign. But there's still a big part of me that can't stand to see perfectly good instruments parked in a closet for months on end, never getting played. I have 10, which is more than my gigging needs can really justify.

So at this point, if I want anything new, something old has to go away. That policy means some good guitars leave me, but forces me to only keep the ones I use.

5. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

209003-328369934bc3e473e776ef61f43ba88d.png

DonM, triviani, Shuster and 2 others like this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I just think that having fewer means more playing, plus I live in a small house and I don't like clutter. I currently have 8 (4 electric, two acoustic, one 12 string, one bass) and 3 amps + a toy amp, and that feels like a bit too much, and not ideally matched to my needs. I would like by the end of this year to have a bit less gear that is overall a bit closer to my musical needs. Maybe one or two fewer guitars and one less amp, and overall fewer pedals.

teledude66 likes this.
  7. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Wowsers.....

After reading this thread I feel like a total loser.

I only have (3).....all of which are my original purchases:
    1977 Ibanez Tele Silver Series - purchases 1978 for 300$
    1973 Guild D40 Acoustic Sunburst - purchased 1978 for 275$
    1974 Masanori (Japanese Martin copy) - purchased 1975 for 275$
    EDIT: my amp is a Randall Commander II (2x10's)- purchased 1978 for 300$

If you kick me out of this thread because my collection is only 1 digit of (3) I'll understand. :)

On a serious note....if I was rolling in green I'd have an ES335 (or similar) in the fold just to round things out a bit.

Back to it.....good day to all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    P Thought, stevemc and teledude66 like this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've been watching some of Keith Williams videos on Youtube recently "5 Watt World".

This blog post and the video on Youtube are relevant to this whole thing with ending up with a ton of guitars.

https://fivewattworld.com/2018/03/13/how-many-guitars-do-you-need/

Resonates with me but I was already heavily heavily inclined towards this kind of thing..

Point is a whole lot of the greatest players who've ever lived seemed to be glued to 1 guitar at a time and were totally immune to the GAS/Collector thing. Play 1 guitar almost all the time and it becomes a part of you and that's worth more than having different guitars with different sounds...

I go to a group session and this has become apparent to me.. some of the guys I play with have serious gas and have lots more guitars than anyone in this thread has mentioned... a couple of people have made funny remarks about me being talented and having "caught up" to the group in a year after being the obvious total beginner a year ago... well I only have 2 guitars, my guitar time is very very differently spent than someone with > 100 guitars. I'm not spending time on maintenance, looking through the stack of guitars for the one I want to play, adjusting amps/effects based on the guitar I picked up, etc.. not having to adjust to the feel of different guitars, etc..

El Tele Lobo, aerhed and teledude66 like this.
  9. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I didn't even mention the banjos, lap steel, and mandolins...lol. Trust me I'm not complaining, I have Teles, Strat, LP's, ES-330, ES-335, and Gretsch. I want an SG, resonator, and maybe one of those San Dimas Tele style...lol.

It doesn't help the there's a new store near me that has as good if not better selection than most chain stores, and does way better deals. I traded a guitar for the Gretsch, and walked out 200 bucks in hand. How many guitar stores are gonna give you boot?

I could get a bigger house or wait til my sons move out, then the collection would fit better...lol.

edit to add: I only play my 96 MIA Bender, or my Epi ES-335 Pro on gigs.

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My best friend and guitar mentor goes through this problem every five years or so. Realizing he can't get into the kitchen because of too many guitar cases, he starts a mega sell off at a loss, until he gets down to five or so. I turn my head for what seems to be a moment ... and he is back up to fifteen or more again. No doubt some sort of addiction problem. Seek professional help.

El Tele Lobo and teledude66 like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My brother in law lost his wife a couple of years back, but she was a delight. No matter how many guitars they had, they could always make an emergency run to buy one more. They each had their own stash, and would trade back and forth between them. She was a great bass player, and a solid, solid rhythm guitar player. He is unlikely to marry again, and he'll never be able to replace her if he does.

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I have six guitars four electric and two acoustic and four amps. I also have a large shot glass collection from places I have been. The shot glasses take up far less space.

teledude66 likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh c'mon Mike where's you sympathy for this man. Consider the angst he faces everyday just from the criticism on the Bad Dog alone, let alone fussing over his guitar collection. First world problems are REAL!

[​IMG]

DonM, Asmith and teledude66 like this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

She was probably thinking, "how many guitars could he want? Three, four maybe?"

El Tele Lobo, teledude66 and aerhed like this.
  15. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

She's an artist herself. I think she realized that collections grow. It's just seeing them all in one place at once...

El Tele Lobo and teledude66 like this.
  16. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Mmm. Here we go again. I sense another market opportunity. You know how all the contractors have these job trailers now? Like mobile workshops. Toy haulers? How about this? THE GUITARV! Nice simple RV all tricked out with a hunnerd guitar slots and amplifier racks. Smartnav with all the GC's tagged, big refrigerator. You can even drive it down by the river and dime your twin before dinner.

teledude66 likes this.
  17. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

That's what I do and yeah, I feel that way too, sometimes. But so far I've only bought stuff that I like better than what I had. So that helps.

teledude66 likes this.
  18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I've recently moved house finally have a bit of a music room albeit very small, rather than having my gear divided throughout the house. I'd say that's put a healthy cap on my gear count, if I can still move around the room comfortably without tripping I have space. FWIW I only have 5 guitars and 1 serious amp, in the process of building one though and would like another amp, something for fender style cleans and whatever the budget affords.

teledude66 likes this.
  19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I have one parked in "must sell one of these days", it's boxed up, just waiting for me to put together a Reverb.com ad. My Steinberger Spirit doesn't get played much but it gets thrown in the back of the car for vacations. Beyond that I'm down to 4 electrics, each of which has a unique tone, 3 of them with vibrato arms, also unique (which I can't tell is an advantage or disadvantage).

I had momentary GAS for a round-hole mandolin (I already have an F-hole and an electric), but I really convinced myself I wouldn't play it very much if I got it, and that passed. I did buy a used rack mount preamp just the other day, but it was dang cheap and lets me use a few things that had just been sitting there (two Tech 21 Power Engines, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal). As I was spinning through presets with it yesterday, I thought, "here I go dicking around with sounds instead of playing a whole song or writing or recording something". Maybe that will be a good rat hole to go down, or maybe it won't.

Last night I pulled my Taylor acoustic out of the closet for living room duty.

teledude66 likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The great thing about reaching "truly too many guitars" is, you see things in the store, play them and think "aw, I have a couple better than this, why buy this?". And so you don't buy them and wouldn't even if the discount was 40%. And why is that? Because you know even at 40% off, you paid less back then.

I have a score to settle with Hurricane Katrina, even now. I figure these horrendous storms will stop when they see where there were once X number of guitars, destroyed, and now in the aftermath there's 20X number of guitars. Storms realize they met their match, and they hang their head and give up.

teledude66 and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.