Realizing I have too many guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teledude66, Jan 16, 2019.

1. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I know its blasphemy to speak this way, but I was going through my "music room" which has become a catch-all room. I pulled all the guitars out into my main living room until I can straighten things out, yes my wife loves me a lot, or tolerates, it's a fine line. So I put the ones not in their cases back in them, and I get to counting, I hit 18, and she says, 'boys, if something happens to dad you can split them even." Then I realized I had one more in the corner, one in the bedroom, two more at different locations. Then last night, I moving stuff around, and locate two more! I'm not bragging, some are dismantled, others are crap pieces, and I inherited some of them from my Gpaw. Our house is 1800 square feet, and it's starting to be a space constraint. I've been better though, I actually purchased some guitars with the intent of trading to keep a cap on the situation, and have done some swapping, because their are some that will be left to somebody one day. We're not even going to talk about pedals, and amps. I guess it's better than some addictions. Anybody else want to join G.A.S Addicts Anonymous?

P.S. the line about "too many guitars" that was a joke...

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I'll be your sponsor and help you out by taking some off your hands.

You're welcome.

Kebmel, Shuster, Nubs and 5 others like this.
  3. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

I had the same realization a few years back, guitars were taking over the house. I gave it a lot of thought and was honest with myself, I really only play a handful of them. Here's what I kept:

• Taylor 2002 314ce ltd - this is my absolute favorite guitar, my most valued possession. I instantly bonded with it from day one
    • 1996 Fender Jag-Stang - I really don't play this much, only guitar I kept for sentimental reasons
    • 2000 Fender MIM Strat - Everyone should have a strat, right?
    • 2011 Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute - Excellent player, love those p90s!
    • 2016 Squier CV Tele - My main electric at this point, I just can't put it down
    That's it! I went from 20+ to what I have now and I'm much happier (so is the wife)

arnie5150, CV Jee Beez and teledude66 like this.
  4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

FIRE SALE!

(Bidding closed - you guys missed it)

5. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Been there myself. Only kept what was used often, or had sentimental value and sold off the rest. Now I have more space, and don’t carry the nagging thoughts about not properly caring for my toys.

teledude66 and Marc Morfei like this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I used to scoff at people who got rid of gear because they "didn't have the space". Now I have a hard time getting to some of my guitars because they're piled under other guitars, and forget about the amps in the back of the closet.

As we all know though, it's a buyer's market for MI gear and I just can't justify selling stuff for pennies.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    DonM, Shuster and teledude66 like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My herd has crept up to an even dozen.
    Dern creepin’ guitars!
    I’ll stop at a baker’s dozen.
    No, really, I will.
    It could happen.

Kebmel, LGOberean, Shuster and 3 others like this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

WE all know the answer

Bigger House

Kebmel, Gene O., Kreepy and 5 others like this.
  9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

This feels like one of those meetings " my name is xxx and I am xxx".
    That said I do seem to have accumulated too many guitars. I have a hard core of three - Baja and Cabs- that go to gigs or get played most at home. But I now have eight Teles, two Strats and an old Ibby.
    I can't decide whether to have an eBay purge or keep them in case I ever need the money as I'd only fritter the cash. Or buy guitars.

teledude66 likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have 6. 4 electrics and 2 acoustics. Even playing in three bands, that’s too many for me. I have to manufacture excuses to get to each electric. But I love them each so I can’t see getting rid of any. A conundrum.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Recently had that moment myself...

Just shook my head and started plotting the next one...

Eventually i WILL run out of room, and then it's time to move to a bigger house.

Crowcaster and teledude66 like this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

tried to make rules..main thing is ..playing music has to be the priority..every once and awhile the gear thing takes up too much precious time. I realize now there is only so much time left to actually play in life. That being said, am looking for a SG & Lp to customize to make that playing time more "special"...am at the dozen mark spot on and the bakers dozen special was the excuse i needed thanks Brookdalebill for the inspiration and justification//now my conscious is clear...

teledude66 and FenderGyrl like this.
  13. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I currently have 15 (10 elec, 3 acoustics, 2 basses). I was talking to my wife the other day and told I was thinking of getting rid of couple, but couldn't decide which ones. Her reply... "Keep them, I like all of them too." :eek:

I guess I'll keep her around another 35 years. :D

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have too many guitars too.
    I also have too many amplifiers.
    I also have too many speaker cabinets.
    I careth not a jot.

Were I to sell any of them, I'd probably get the equivalent of three fifths of naff all.

If I collected cigarette cards, or thimbles, or tea-pots or World War Two medals, they'd take up a lot less space and you can't rip a phat three-chord, three-minute punk opus on a thimble.

I need a bigger house.

15. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Hey if you need help I'll PM you my shipping address.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

teledude66 likes this.
  16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I also have too many guitars, and too many amps. That seems to be the right amount for me right now. It may turn out to be not enough, if I can't stay out of pawn shops.

Ben-Zion and teledude66 like this.
  17. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I've come to the realization that I don't play my Gibson solid bodies. I have two LPs and two SGs that are just taking up space. I just don't know how to sell them (I think I'll keep the "Classic Rock II, though. Just for collector's sake).

[​IMG]

18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The trick is to convert assets dedicated to musical instruments into gear that you will use or cashthat you need.
    It makes no sense to have a big investment in instruments that you don’t like and dont play.
    Start with the most obvious and sell off or trade them, then work your way into the ones that you are on the fence about.
    What’s left is instruments or gear that you need or want, no more wasted space, no more money tied up in stuff you don’t use.
    Unless money is of no concern of course, then it’s just about wasted space.
    Good luck,

Bjackcity and teledude66 like this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I reached my apex in late 2017/early 2018 I think. With both guitars, and amps. I think I was up to 11 or 12 amps. Mostly all vintage Fender amps. About 10 guitars too if I recall. I am down to 6 guitars now and 6 amps. It was a fun run. Every purchase bringing the adrenaline rush, followed by the honeymoon stage. I dove into the hobby pretty deep and really enjoyed myself. However I realize that life is constantly evolving. Your perspective changes and what you want changes based on your experiences in life. I let some stuff go and am still whittling down my collection. Playing in a gigging band really drove a lot of my gear purchases. I too have scaled that back to an acoustic cover band with no drum kit. That really knocked back my GAS for amps. I am happy today and content. I still have several great vintage amps and just the right guitars to suit me.

20. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

My wonderful fiance told me "you can have as many guitars/amps as you want." Now that my guitar collection grows(after years of having one acoustic and one electric)I've started getting creative. "This one's not a guitar babe, it's called a dobro, mandolin, banjo, ect."

Shuster and teledude66 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.