1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real Tube

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitapik, Mar 2, 2021.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm looking to sell some old pedals. Got a lotta them.

Started digging around in the closet.

This Real Tube 901 was in there. I used this all the time in the '90s. Then I went acoustic for almost 15 years. When I came back to electric, I got turned on to some others and just kept the RT in the box.

Until yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took it out and put different tubes in there. AX7, AU7, AT7. My brother had given me a Telefunken AX7, too. Everything sounded really good.

So I hooked it up, next to my KoT.

I won't say it's better. But I also won't say it's worse. They're both great. It's just different and it's a really fine pedal! Beautiful!

Keeping it next to the amps, now. Enjoying it on it's own, at this point. Thinking I might pull out my old Dyna Comp and Boss DD-2. Vintage Mini-Board time!

Found some other old Boss pedals, too (Flanger, Phaser, Octave, and a modded Metal Zone!). Maybe put one of them on there...

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have one from that exact same era, before Butler put his name on the front. Bought it in '89 or '90. Been playing it for the past couple weeks, actually. I decided on a 12AU7 for it a number of years ago. Every time I out the AX7 back in it it's just too much.

Pretty exhaustive page on them, if you haven't seen it: http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Tube_Driver_Sound.html

noname_dragon and gitapik like this.
  3. gitapik

I liked the AU7 best. Followed by the AT7. I have the original Yugo AX7, which is what I used back then, but the Telefunken was cleaner, which is more my thing, nowadays.

Yep...read that page, yesterday. Guy gets into detail. Wondering how this 901 compares to one of those Tube Drivers.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I believe he says in there that the real tube is very similar to the 911 tube driver, with just the addition of the mid control.

5. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Yeah, there are several versions of that thing.
    I just checked my old pics from back in the day, I had the exact same version as yours.
    I agree, it was a pretty awesome pedal, not a bad thing to say about it.
    I did some tube swapping, found one I liked, never opened it again.
    Cool find.

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had the Real Tube rackmount back in the 80s or 90s, along with their Mosvalve rackmount power amp. I also had one of the combo amps with the grey carpet covering, which was a Real Tube type preamp, and a mono Mosvalve type power amp in a combo with a speaker. I think I had the 30 watt 1x10 one, but they also had 50w and 100w 112 ones. here's one that appears to have been recovered with tan Tolex, unless my memory is failing me.

s-l1600.jpg tubeworks_902_001.jpg i1exrqlv3bjon1vqrlth.jpg

7. gitapik

I just spent some more time with it tonight. Here's my report:

1) Definitely love the 12AU7 over the others. It sounds best at all gain levels and is much more useable than the others when above 12:00 on the gain. It's what I'd put in there years ago when I put it away and now I see why (again). It's a keeper.

2) It cleans up beautifully.

3) No tonal bleed when it's off.

4) Very, very nice unit. I'm into it.

Dyna Comp works great both with and without it. Wish it had an LED (I know they started putting those in, later) and an adapter plug. That's a negative. Lol...I can remember those days of carrying extra 9v batteries with you to gigs and rehearsals.

I first got interested in the Real Tube when I walked into Manny's and heard this guy playing through that rack mount version, DougM. He was a really good player and the sounds were fantastic.

I was 1/2 joking about a vintage pedal board...but this could actually be very nice. Gonna start playing around with the other older gear before selling any of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.