1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real time band practice software - Zoom? FaceTime no bueno - IT people?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by teletimetx, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

My band is in the process of trying to use Jamkazam. I have a Tascam U16X08 interface and I got it up and running with very little effort. Other members are having driver and configuration problems. They all have Behringer interfaces and the drivers for some of their products don't work well with JK. If you're going to buy an interface, do some research to find out which ones are known to work. If you have an interface, you may have to do some searching for a driver that will work. The drummer has a Behringer UM2 and the driver that they supply for it didn't work with JK, but he was able to find one that did. I have been able to talk to and see three other members over the app, but a couple of them are having audio breakup problems and we have not played any music together at this point. I am hopeful it's going to work once they get the interface/driver problems figured out. When we talk, it seems to be in real time with no noticeable delay, but won't know for sure until we try to play. Latency is under 10ms. I will report back if/when we get things working.

2. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

\

Update: I had a very successful session on Jamkazam with our drummer. We could hear each other and our instruments very clearly and did some playing with no noticeable latency. The rest of our band is still working on getting their equipment set up and working in the app but it's very promising.

pinkpanda likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I fail to understand why people always want to do the most complicated things on computers.

You could probably just use the built-in sound card and plug in a microphone with 1/8" jack into the input and a stereo or boom box into the output, or use a splitter if they share the same jack.

I doubt the latency will be better with an external sound card, and the quality could be comparable as well with the built-in sound card.

I do see the use of interfaces for fancy stuff like multiple inputs and outputs though.

4. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

It's not that people want to do the most complicated thing, it's what you have to do to use the Jamkazam app. You need to have an external audio interface connected to the computer by USB. You can't just plug things into the sound card. You also need a hard wired internet connection, wifi doesn't work. It is complicated, but it's what you have to do to use the app and it's worth it when you get it working.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

soft ware and low latency
    upload_2020-5-11_18-38-50.jpeg

dougstrum and strat54 like this.
  6. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

strat54 likes this.
  7. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Latest update: The Jamkazam app works great when we have two members involved, so if you have a duo, it's very usable. When we add a third member, the latency becomes unworkable. It may be that the third member has an interface that doesn't work well with the app, since I see sessions going on that have 5 or more people involved, but it's not working for us. So, that is what a band is facing when trying to use Jamkazam. All members must have an interface that is very compatible with the app and internet speed and quality and computer quality also play a part. It's a lot for five members to all get on the same page. They are supposedly working on getting latency problems solved so maybe it will be usable for us in the future. Sure would be nice not to have to tear down my keyboard rig, make that hour drive to rehearsal, set up, tear back down, drive back home and set up again, even after quarantine is over.

8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a feeling this would be the case. For starters, it's only going to be as good as the weakest link. So, if one band member has a crappy internet connection, the whole thing blows up.

9. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Yeah, that's basically the problem. I do see sessions on the app of 5 or more people but they must all have the perfect setup. I think it's still going to be useful between two at a time though, just to work out parts and vocals between rehearsals.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

thanks for all the updates. I think I 'm going to be trying some stuff on Zoom, free and with an interface, the sound is ok enough. But no more than two at a time, and people in the same town.

I did one zoom that was transcontinental and one person in South Africa, and the latency to South Africa was significant and noticeable between east coast to west coast.

11. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

OK, latest update for Jamkazam. My band now has it working well with 5 members. Everyone needs a fast internet connection, around 100 mbps, a hardwired connection to your router, an interface with a compatible driver for the app and a decent computer processor. At least duo core, quad core is best. It took a while for everyone to get up and running, but now that it's working, it's awesome. Rehearsing at home in my music room instead of tearing down my keyboard rig, driving an hour to the rehearsal space, setting up, playing for a couple hours, tearing back down and driving the hour back home and setting up again is way cool. I have the other guys playing out through my PA speakers and it's like they're in the room.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Jamkazam won’t run on my Mac with Catalina OS. I just installed Jamulus- a simpler program where you only need client software. It seems leaner and cleaner with a lot less latency.

13. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

That is one of the drawbacks, it won't run on every platform. I looked at Jamulus but it seemed very complicated to set up and get running. The way I understand it is that they solve the latency by basically delaying everything until it sounds like it's in sync. You have to give it a tempo and play to a click track? Are you using it successfully?

14. chris m.

In Jamulus you just load the client program, not the server program, unless you are very computer savvy and want to become a host site to support the cause. Once client is loaded you just select a server nearer to you with low latency ( shows up as green vs yellow or red) and play with others on the server. If you want to play with certain individuals such as your band all of you join the same server and use mute feature to mute everyone except your group. I found it much easier than Jamkazam, which only booted up on wireless and failed to boot on hard wire, rendering it useless.

15. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

This approach might be a long way around, but it does seem to work. Unfortunately, I lacked the chops to get it rolling.

16. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Jam Kazam is a fremium service that is working on exactly this. You'll need an audio interface, but latency is better than on Zoom.

17. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Don't know if anyone will still see this old post but another update on Jamkazam. My band has been using it for a few months now with varying degrees of success. We've had sessions when it works great and others where the latency makes it unusable. I do suspect our problems stem from one of the members having an old laptop with a slow processor. The newest from Jamkazam though is that they are becoming a pay site at the first of the new year. There are different levels of membership ranging from free with a lot of limitations up to $20/month for the best package. Not sure yet if we will start paying or switch to another platform since it doesn't work for us all the time. Some of us have also been on Jamulus with promising results but one member can't get that to open on his desktop running Window 7.

18. chris m.

I get so much joy from playing in person with my band mates that I’ve decided on-line virtual jamming or practicing just isn’t for me. At that point I just do solo stuff like practicing, recording, playing along to recordings, etc.

dougstrum likes this.
  19. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Yes, I'm doing all those things too, but playing occasionally with my band is great when it works. I have them coming out of my PA at home and it's like they're in the room with me. It can be very frustrating though when it's not working well, but for me, it's better than nothing.

20. pinkpanda

pinkpanda TDPRI Member

I just put together all the software I came across. I have found Jamkazam to be quite more laggy than Jamulus. Someone suggested https://koord.live/ for using Jamulus. There’s also Jacktrip and tons of other software, but I would stick with whatever you have for the time being. If it works, it works, and let’s hope this situation doesn’t stay like this for another whole year.

In the meantime, my very clickbait-y video:

Ultimate (2021) Online Jam Software Update

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.