Real or Memorex ?

sammy1

TDPRI Member
Good Morning Gents, I am trying to determine if this Japanese Telecaster is the Genuine article or is a Parts caster in disguise. I would appreciate any information you guys can provide. Heres the deal:

*The neck has a date that appears to be March of 98
*The serial number does not come up on The Fender Site
*I did pull up a number on the Zing site that states it is a 93-94 Fuji- Gen Tele
*It has been modified with Seymour Duncan Antiquity PUPS at the neck and bridge positions
*There is no serial number or MIJ notation at the base of the neck as would be expected
*The back of the head stock has this number N800113
*The front of the head stock has Fender Telecaster notated infant of the Fender logo not below ( i have seen pictures both ways but I'm not sure if either is correct or possibly both
*I am going to provide pictures but they are small and can't be enlarged enough to see them clearly

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
It doesn't look real to me. Headstock shape looks off, logo looks fake, truss rod hole would usually have black plastic insert and serial number should, I think be on the front of the headstock for an early 90s Fender unless a reissue (which it can't be owing to the truss rod nut placement at the headstock).

It's impossible to tell from the dreadful screenshot photos, but does the neck pickup not say Duncan Designed on it, not Seymour Duncan? What makes you think they're Antiquities? If they certainly would be worth more than the guitar.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Something just looks a bit "off" to me on this one. The SN looks funny to me, and the font looks odd, likewise the stamping on the neck looks strange too as well as the logo. Headstock looks a bit out of shape, and it has a modern truss rod yet has 50's vintage style tuners, yet it has a humbucker and what looks like 9.5 radius neck? Agree with others that we really need to see more pics like the neck pocket, the electronics, etc. etc. But even still it seems suspect to me FWIW. I'm not up on MIJ Tele's so... maybe this is some sort of Japanese model? Dunno.

kinkstah

Tele-Afflicted
Body and hardware are most probably coming from a Indonesian Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special (see example here: https://reverb.com/fr/p/squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-special). Or, at least, it really looks like it is.
The neck is not a Fender Japan either (I even doubt it is a Fender). Might be a good partscaster guitar, though.
But it is not a MIJ/CIJ (oh, and the pickup looks more like the "Duncan Designed" take on the Jazzmaster pickup made for Squier, than a SD Antiquity)
Hope this helps,

AlbertaGriff

Friend of Leo's
It looks very much "not Fender" to me. The headstock, the logo, the body thickness, the neck plate... Basically nothing I see in the pics looks right to me.

Larger but blurry for me. What does it say on the P90 pickup?

I think it's a Jazzmaster pickup, and it says "Seymour Duncan" on it, like the Squier models.

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
It looks very much "not Fender" to me. The headstock, the logo, the body thickness, the neck plate... Basically nothing I see in the pics looks right to me.

I think it's a Jazzmaster pickup, and it says "Seymour Duncan" on it, like the Squier models.
The Squier models I've seen with "Seymour Duncan" Jazzmaster pickups say Duncan Designed on them. The second word in the blurry photo looks too long to say "Duncan". Here's an example.

Attachments

• thefljsxp63kgm5jsnwt.jpg
    thefljsxp63kgm5jsnwt.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27

sammy1

TDPRI Member
Hey guys thanks for all your input and I am sorry about the poor quality pictures however further investigation revealed it once again the form was correct this was a fake. It really perplexes me or someone with post for sale guitar that is clearly not what it is reported to be I tried to meet with the guy but he was a no-show so I guess now the only dilemma I have a should I report The ad as bogus and create controversy in the local and really only available guitar marketplace in my area anyhow I appreciate y’all’s input

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey guys thanks for all your input and I am sorry about the poor quality pictures however further investigation revealed it once again the form was correct this was a fake. It really perplexes me or someone with post for sale guitar that is clearly not what it is reported to be I tried to meet with the guy but he was a no-show so I guess now the only dilemma I have a should I report The ad as bogus and create controversy in the local and really only available guitar marketplace in my area anyhow I appreciate y’all’s input

Sounds like you dodged one here, good for you, and kudos for checking out here beforehand ;)

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted

Looks more like Duncan Designed to me. If it said Seymour Duncan, the first word on the pickup would clearly be longer than the 2nd. It's not. The 2nd word clearly has quite a few more letters than the first. That ain't "Seymour Duncan". Pull up pics of any P90 with Seymour Duncan on the bobbin and you'll see what I'm saying. Seymour is clearly longer than Duncan.

So the pickup in question can't say Seymour Duncan with the 2nd word being that much longer than the first. And the fact that the first word STARTS WITH A 'D', which can be clearly seen. The only logical explanation is that it says DUNCAN DESIGNED. Designed being a longer word than Duncan, it means the 2nd word would be longer than the first, which is what we see on that pickup. See the pics below for examples. That's clearly "Duncan Designed" on that pickup. The 2nd word is longer than the 1st, so it can't be Seymour Duncan.

IMG_2125_grande (1).jpeg
vwqrr40eyrejae3eomy9.jpg

I'm still pretty new to this and it was obvious to me at first glance it was fake. Serial number looks wrong. Space around the neck plate looks wrong. Headstock. Logo. Lots of stuff.

Edit: looking at that pickup compared to known genuine 'Duncan Designed' P90's, I'd almost say that pickup is likely a counterfeit "Duncan Designed" pickup, as well. A good $3 on AliExpress.

Last edited: