Real or fake?

GK34

Tele-Meister
Does this look like a real American Standard Tele to you all? The bridge is different, maybe replaced. The logo looks different than any American Standard or Series Fender that I have ever seen.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The neck looks like an aftermarket with a fake Fender decal.
There is no truss rod access insert, wrong logo and fender would never put a string tree over their logo.
This is my 2010 American Standard.

043.JPG

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm in the UK and have no real ideas about GC as a store but surely a major brand like GC would notice that?

GC doesn't pay their employees squat, the result being high turnover and a lot of people working there are noobs who don't know a lot. Gotta keep that in mind when you're dealing with them; I always make sure to do my homework on anything I'm considering buying. There are some really good people there too though. Had a guy who went the extra 9 yards for me this last year when my used amp got lost in shipping 2000 miles from the store.

In this case, someone accepted a fake as a trade-in, and they'll figure it out soon enough.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
You’d certainly hope so but sometimes those guys don’t know any more than the people in there, shopping.
Could work either way ‘1956 American Tele’ $250. On the wall as ‘1995 Chinese Tele relic $250’. Bet it seldom does though!

GK34

Tele-Meister
Thanks for chiming in. At first glance, I thought I may go check this one out. Then looked at the photos and thought this can’t be the real thing. Glad I did some checking before driving over there.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Well hopefully somebody points it out before some poor soul, with their hard earned cash, which they've spent months saving up, decides to buy it not knowing any better.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for chiming in. At first glance, I thought I may go check this one out. Then looked at the photos and thought this can’t be the real thing. Glad I did some checking before driving over there.
Glad you caught it before you wasted any of your time.

That's the great thing about forums like this- I bet this community and others like it have saved a lot of people a lot of money and heartbreak.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Many Guitar Center employees are OK. Many worked at Footlocker in their prior gig.
I got a guy during Covid that knowingly gave me the wrong, SE, case for a Paul Reed Smith USA guitar then charged me for it when it was supposed to be included. He pocketed the $. I got him fired and enjoyed it.
In my prior life I would have followed him home and hurt his feelings.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Just once, I want to discover that a post titled "Real or Fake" and includes the phrase "top-loader", to be about anatomy.....just once.