1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real or fake MIA pbass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Whatizitman, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Looks fishy to me. But I’m no expert on dating fenders. The E7 and the “made in the U.S.A” don’t seem right. I have a MIJ E7 which is legit. Can’t find definitive info on this for MIA, though. According to Fender’s website there should be no E7 for MIAs. And I have only seen “made in USA”. No “the”.

Fake decals? Or could this be real?

271CE61D-49FE-4512-A461-4AF9EFD2F674.jpeg

2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Serial number search says MIJ, and i also have never seen "the" Screenshot_20210422_124811_com.android.chrome.jpg

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I believe it might be fake.

Fender didn't like to waste parts, so when Fender re-established building instruments in the USA in 1986 they used serial numbers starting in E4. My '87 Strat has an E4 serial number. However, I don't for sure know that those E4 serial numbers were used on basses, too, but I don't know why they wouldn't.

More pics please!

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I am not any kind of authentication expert. But in my mind the small font "Precision Bass" instead of the larger wrap lettering is from MIJ. And I do not recognize the "Made in the USA". Can you pull the neck? There's giveaway information in the pocket and on the heel, if it is USA the markings would tell you right away.
    E+6 digits is Japan 1984-1987 according to Fender. E5, E6, E7 all models all numbers are MIJ.

aadvark likes this.
  5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Hard to say without seeing the rest of the bass but the decal is fake. Why would anyone put a fake decal on a genuine Fender?

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Need to see more pics of the bass to tell you what it is. But the decal is definitely fake.

Bassman8 and aadvark like this.
  7. Whatizitman

This is from a FBM listing. I haven’t seen it in person. No other pics are very helpful, which is usually a red flag to me. It’s red, maple neck. It does appear to have truss rod access at the headstock, which AFAIK would be inconsistent with an E7 MIJ. I could be wrong, though. Could easily be an 80s MIJ that someone scratched off the “made in Japan”(?).

8. Whatizitman

Fuzzy pic. No other close ups. All signs point to fake. The funny thing is, if it’s a MIJ Fender it’s not necessarily a bad bass. Not sure about price as it’s listed as a package deal. Total price does seem a little low for including a vintage looking USA p. Weird.

113BBF2D-FB8D-4A99-BD40-E6210B40797A.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Below the E tuner looks like some pretty horrific orange peel in the clear coat to me.

10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Just like the guitars used old 83-84 decals after the CBS sale to FMIC, so did the basses.

This is an 89 Precision that has an E 3 decal.

Screenshot_20210422-064956~2.png

11. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

made in THE USA??

not familiar.

emisilly likes this.
  12. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Note on the "E 3" above how the E appears to be more bold than the numbers and there is abspace between the E and the numbers. The OP is not like that. More evidence against it in my opinion.

13. Whatizitman

Right. Plus, Fender specifically does not list E7 in USA instruments, which would otherwise be an '87. According to Fender, After the CBS buyout they stayed on E4 from '85 to '88 when they changed to E8. An E3 decal would be more likely to show up on an '89 USA bass, than an E7 would show up on an '87 bass. The only SS with E7 were apparently MIJ, from (not coincidentally, IMO) '84-87.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...my-American-made-instrument-was-manufactured-

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...my-Japanese-made-instrument-was-manufactured-

Apart from the SS mismatch, the lettering all seems off. The ad is sketchy, too. Everything points to fake and/or altered, poorly. It could be a MIJ. But the SS lettering just looks weird. Certainly doesn't match up with my real MIJ E series PBass.

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

As far as I know there were no E 7 Fender instruments made.

Fender instruments used the left over E4 necks when they resumed production in '87.

I have an '87 Fender Sunburst Strat with an E4 serial number.

That bass is a fake and I'd stay away from it.

Bassman8 and emisilly like this.
  15. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

The font used on “Made In the USA” is comically wrong. Beyond fake!!! Run, don’t walk.

dan1952 and aadvark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.