1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real or Fake? Fender Custom Shop DLX Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rokasjmusic, Nov 25, 2020.

1. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Hello, Guys!

I need your quick opinion. An add popped up today in my area about Fender Custom Shop DLX Telecaster being sold. The asking price is only 890 euros (which is around 1000$). Seems like a foolish price for a custom shop guitar although sellers explanation in the comments by the add was that he "needs quick cash". Guitar is about an hour drive away. I have never heard of "Custom Shop DLX". And the other thing that seems sketchy is black truss rod hole on the headstock like MIM telecasters have. I'll add few pictures for you so you can let me know is this legit or a scam?

Attached Files:

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Waiting to see what people say. That's a beautiful guitar there. I love the sparkly red.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Am Std style bridge, with a 21 fret neck, with a headstock truss rod access and that weird plastic truss rod hole surround? Logo on the back of the headstock looks wrong. And the decal on the front of the headstock is tickling my Spidey sense. I don’t like any of it. It all looks wrong to me.

That said, I don’t know everything, and haven’t seen everything. But I wouldn’t buy it.

mojek and SheldonP like this.
  4. losador

losador TDPRI Member

I don't know much either so probably shouldn't comment.. but regarding the decal should it start further down the headstock, towards the nut? Wonder if that's what's set off your spidey sense..

EDIT - perhaps this is normal for the 'spaghetti' style logo.. see, I said I probably shouldn't have posted..!

mojek and Jakedog like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Based on those pics - fakey mcfakeface.

Looks like a Squier.

Case is wrong for CS, too.

cravenmonket, Jakedog and ftbtx like this.
  6. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Save your money and fuel and keep looking.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Would anyone fake a CS Cert and guitar and then market it in Lithuania? Perhaps so, reckoning on it being a ‘safe’ market with no one to ask its authenticity.

Looks a nice guitar but not as advertised. What could it have started life as? Is / was there a MIM in that finish with those specs, or can it only be a knockoff?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  8. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

Squier Bullet LE... $180 new...

boris bubbanov and Jakedog like this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

mojek likes this.
  11. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Case closed. Thnx

mojek and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

There is no such thing as a 890 Euro Fender Custom Shop Telecaster. New or used. Maybe stolen, but no one would steal this guitar. Run away, run away!

teletail likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, this is a Cortek Plastic truss rod hole insert - not any form of MIM.

This is why I hate to see FCS packages "exploded" for profit. Unscrupulous people buy the COA and case candy, install an American Series string tree, headstock decal and fakey neck plate and pawn the thing off in places where a player may not have ever seen the real thing. Don't assist people in their quest to go low!

15. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

it is kind of crazy to me how that shoddy of a headstock decal ("TELECASTER") can even make this a question. i mean, it's practically arial out of an inkjet printer. fender doesn't even do that cheap looking of a job on the squiers.

McGlamRock likes this.
  16. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

First of all - thanks guys for a quick response. I always look up stuff here because you are a recourse - full bunch!

Well, I figured this guy is local and it is not the first time he has done something similar. I did contact him asking for a serial number and got no response. After Squier link showed up I posted it in a couple local groups on Facebook to alert musicians. I did contact seller of the guitar again from a different account pretending that I am interested. He did reply that guitar was sold and the add was taken down soon

Lastly I will write a quick response here to both of the quotes I have included in this post. Lithuania might not be big or famous (apart from basketball) country but you have no idea how cool it actually is:
    Everyone loves NY, right? So the weather here is pretty much the same. Maybe a bit more rainy days. Just no skyscrapers that high. We have no mountains, but there are a lot of forests. Landscape resembles of Canada a lot. I will not elaborate on the country itself but for me personally - I never had to pay for my education. I got degree and never had any student loans. I had free health care until I was 26. And that included couple major operations that did not cost me anything. If you call an ambulance there is no bill if you have basic health care. If you live in a smaller town most likely you own a house. And if you live in the Capital - apartments gets as pricey as in the States. But the rent is very affordable. If you want to live alone you can get a renovated studio apartment for a couple hundred dollars for a month. How about that? I graduated 7 years ago and I never had to have a proper job - I was gigging, teaching and working on TV. That made me a sufficient living. Kind of doing the same now. Except the live performances due to Covid. Currently I own Suhr Classic Antique strat and Gibson Les Paul Custom. I had a Fender Danny Gatton CS tele rented on a fly gig in Germany few years ago. On the same trip I had visited one of the largest guitar stores in Europe called Session - I am sure you had watched gear demos done on Youtube by them. I have visited 50 countries while touring the Europe and working on cruise ships in US. Of course me might not be everyone in Lithuania. And "average Joe" might be interested in a more affordable range guitars. But gigging guys here know and own good gear. You'd be surprised

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Was not, in anyway, dissing what I know to be a beautiful country or it’s people. I once worked with a couple of guys from there, genuinely decent people. They were here to improve life for their families back home by working hard and earning money. What I didn’t know was that there is a thriving music scene and guitar market. It now seems very likely that a fake CS would find its way there! Please accept my apologies if I offended in any way, it was borne of ignorance not intention!

PS, I’d steer clear of the sparkly Tele unless it’s a good example of a MIM at a MIM price!

18. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

NOBODY, I mean NOBODY sells a custom shop guitar that cheap. You don't need to know anything else about it.

He'd get more than that at a pawn shop.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Fake!

it’s a poorly done fake.

The bridge, the fretboard, the headstock, Custom Shop decal.

Run away.

BTW, it’s a FAKE!

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was born in New York State, and went to enough amazing public school there to have a fair idea about Lithuania. Upstate New York without those high taxes would be very cool - but then the students there wouldn't know a thing about Lithuania (this is what you would find in Arkansas).

Mountains would help a lot, but what Lithuania has that I couldn't handle, are extremely large, historically aggressive neighbors. I've taken a pounding down in New Orleans from all the storms in the last 20 years, so I have had a taste of Uncertainty. I think I've burnt out on Uncertainty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.