1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

real odd sn - please help identify

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tng2206, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tng2206

tng2206 TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to the tdpri.. Hi everybody.

A few weeks ago I got a nice player tele in CA. It's a used white blond tele with a Maple/Rosewood neck, vintage style tuners and a vintage style bridge with 3 brass saddles. The bridge plate seems to have been changed.

The shop assistent told me it's a "Fender FSR Am Dlx 57 Player Tele". Wow! I can't get any trace on such an instrument...
    And I definitively can't figure out the serial number as there is no sn on the neck nor on the bridge plate. But there is a sticker on the neck (see the pics) that says a pretty odd number '50630a'. Do you have any idea what model the tele could be?
    I'm sure it's a 2005 (at least neck an body say that..).

Thanks so much.
    Cheers,
    Tng2206

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I can't help ...

But - welcome to the forum and congratulations on a very nice looking telecaster.:D

L_N_A

3. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I am no expert but it may be a Highway One not a deluxe.

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Where are you reading that serial number? I see it on the white sticker on the neck. Fender does not hand write a serial number on a white sticker and put it on the neck. That number could possibly be an inventory number from the store that originally sold it.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

It doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with from the Factory...maybe a Parts guitar w/ all Fender parts...which sure wouldn't bother me, as long as you like it ?...but I've been known to be wrong before......;)

6. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    While its a great looking guitar, nothing about it rings true with what you've been told that it is.

Sorry.

Welcome to the TDPRI by the way.

7. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

The shop was correct - FSR 57 Tele. I don't know who ordered this model, or how many, but it was FSR #8 in 2005.

The photos and specs you list are correct, including the bridge & saddles. This model was only available in one color option - white blonde on ash, 1-ply whiteguard, rosewood fretboard, with tweed case. The neck+pickups+controls were from the Am Dlx Tele, with a vintage style body and hardware.

You will probably have to disassemble it to find the official s/n markings.

Well there you go, that should be worth the price of admission, welcome aboard.

8. tng2206

tng2206 TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for your quick replies.
    @Tdot: Where did you get this information?

All I can find is this - pretty hard to read - does that still fit the FSR theory?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am just curious.. it's a good playing tele whatever model it is.

Cheers,
    tng2206

9. Post Toastie

Why does this have a rosewood neck?Fender made all Teles with maple until mid 1959.How can Fender call this a 57 reissue if it is different from the original models?

10. Post Toastie

Is there anything on the neck plate(that chrome cover)It looks blank in the pic.Fender USA made have a F or Corona,ca on them except the HWY 1 is blank.

11. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Notched bridge and intonated saddles original from Fender????
    What a cool Tele.

12. tng2206

tng2206 TDPRI Member

Haha. That's what I thought too.. You are right (at least as far nobody discovers anything else...)

The neck plate is blank. But I don't think only the HWY1 comes with a blank plate - afaik the 52 RI has a blank one too.

13. Tdot

One was available near here a couple years ago and I loved it. A lot of web surfing came up with the little info I found.

It's not a reissue, it's an FSR. Just means somebody made a special order with their own specs.

Early Hwy1 had Corona neck plates too.

14. Jack Wells

I for one would also like Tdot to explain how a '57 reissue could have a rosewood fretboard................. and a skunk stripe.

And when did Fender start printing neck dates upside down?

Then let's call it a FSR ........... not a 57 FSR.

Another point ............... a '57 would have a 5-hole pickguard and a body mounted neck pickup.

The string guide although the correct type is in the wrong position for a '57.

Truss rod adjustment is at the headstock and appears to be a Bi-Flex truss rod.

What's with the slot head pickup screw?

It's starting to look more and more like a partscaster.

15. mellecaster

Sept 14 !!...That's my Dang Birthday!....I'll give you $20,000 dollars for it...;)

2832655028_3af765a0de.jpg

16. Tdot

I pointed out before - it is NOT a REISSUE model. It is NOT a 57 REISSUE. It is NOT an American Deluxe. It is NOT a STOCK model. It is a customer spec'd FSR. Which pretty much is a "factory" partscaster.:) A special order in limited numbers.

Don't call it a 57... don't call it an American Deluxe... call it what you want. I don't know if the customer gets to choose the name or if it's decided by Fender, but like it or not, Fender did designate it as the "Deluxe Vintage 57 Telecaster".

The guitar itself is simply a 57 body (whatever that is... small radius?) with the rest being a mix of Am Dlx and vintage style parts. Simple as that, it is what it is, and it is a great Tele. I wish I had the cash at the time to grab the one that I saw. If I got to name it, I would've called it something like the '59 Deluxe Players Tele.

Here is the original pic from "Fender".

[​IMG]

Now, one correction. Looking closer at photos, this guitar was spec'd with a vintage bridge (but not cut) and brass saddles (but not compensated). The real s/n may have been on the bridge, I don't remember.

And for trivia, 2005 FSR #9 was labeled as the 67 version, likely ordered by the same group as the 57. It was only available in red with white double binding and rosewood neck. I'm sure it had many features that were not 1967.

17. mellecaster

Tdot....do you have any idea where I might find some info on a Designer Edition 52 Tele, that I think was a FSR for Guitar Center ?...very much like a AVR 52...but w/ a Figured Maple Top ?....can't find much about them...I think they also had a Dble. bound 62 version.

18. Tdot

I haven't seen or heard of that one. There was an FSR Deluxe 52 a couple years back. It was butterscotch, black pg, black top binding, belly cut back. Don't know any details.

I did a lot of web surfing to figure what that mysterious 57 was supposed to be, when I wanted to buy it. Only found the info above, and one shop that was German? or Austrian? they had it listed in stock, but I couldn't read the language.

Fender was a bit secretive about info the FSR's in general.:rolleyes:

19. Post Toastie

Tdot that picture is worth a 1000 words.It appears that the bridge and saddles were replaced.The bridge has part of the flange on the sides cut away.Is that want you meant with(but not cut)?

20. Jack Wells

Tdot ............. that's what you called it.

Your Quote:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.