REAL newbie semi-hollow body question

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Having been an S&T (Strat and Tele) guy for the last 20 years or so, I've just bought an EART 335 with a mahogany set neck. Having LOTS of fun, will write about it later. Question is, is it "normal" that when you pull back on the neck a little, you hear the effect of stretching the strings? Would this happen, for instance, on a big-name semi-hollow guitar?

I ask because, with my Fender guitars and their stout necks, this doesn't happen. With this semi-hollow guitar, I feel as if I could pull the neck right out of its pocket, or snap it. I'm not talking about pulling back hard, but just a bit.

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
I can get a nice "whammy" effect with all my guitars. The wood will flex a little. Depends on the force exerted. People like Bill Frisell use this with their Teles all the time.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I can get a nice "whammy" effect with all my guitars. The wood will flex a little. Depends on the force exerted. People like Bill Frisell use this with their Teles all the time.
This is reassuring. I can just see myself trying the "whammy" effect and breaking the neck off my new guitar. :D