1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real Nature - Hawk Kill On Our Patio

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by slauson slim, Feb 27, 2021.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were reading and having a coffee in our living room. There was a thump, we looked up and a bird had struck the glass patio sliding door and was holding on by its claws to the screen. There was a flash of dark wings, and in an instant the bird was gone, yanked off the screen and carried off by a hawk. It was quick - a blink of an eye.

Props to the hawk for some good flying - into and out of the covered patio, and a grab. Not the usual drop down.

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Wow they are amazingly quick! Pretty bold and or desperate to take a bird in a covered area.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I was walking through our local park the other day: a small bird, perhaps a wren or a sparrow, rose up out of the undergrowth and whack a crow swooped in and snatched it straight out of the air, and went off with it for a snack. Nature red in tooth and claw...

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

We have attacks like this quite often at our bird feeders. It's amazing how agile they are in flight.

GFrank likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I had an experience a while back when a raptor (probably a Perigrine) snagged a lizard just feet from me
    Nature is a wonderful thing

6. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Birds are ruthless. Even some of the baby ones who can barely move will push other chicks off the nest so they can have all the food.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

We were watching a robin's hatchlings falling out of the nest perched on a log beam outside of our cabin and each learning how to fly one morning.

All of a sudden a goshawk swooped down and grabbed one of them. My wife has hated goshawks ever since.:rolleyes:

The food chain continues.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was but a young man, I was lured into a dark place and unmercifully attacked by a very agile cougar. Fortunately I escaped but barely, and was in a very weakened state for some time. A lesson learned about the wilds, be weary of this sign:

[​IMG]

middy, 39martind18 and stxrus like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m sorry for your unfortunate escape. I never looked for one but occasionally one would show up. Like a rabbit in a prey’s grip I would just give up and accept my fate. However the wonderful outcome was. Wink, wink, say no more

Viking_Hillbilly and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Bird nerd moment: the New World “sparrow hawk” is more accurately the American Kestrel. The only reason that really matters is that it is a falcon, not a hawk. When I worked a at goose sanctuary, we had a Visitor’s Centre with a huge glass structure facing the pond. There were enough large insects out there that I often saw a kestrel hover and swoop to grab one. Raptors that hover? Be thankful they’re small

11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I once heard a woman phone in to a gardening show on the radio where they were answering Your Questions. She wanted to know what to do about the hawks that were taking the songbirds that came to feed at her feeders. The Answer Guy paused for a moment, then said delicately, “think of it as putting out food for the songbirds AND the hawks.” The slam of the phone startled me, but he was absolutely right.

Related: when I was on a tundra buggy in Churchill, there was a brief period in which there were no polar bears to look at. The driver tried to entertain the tourists by pointing out that there was a silver fox outside. People moved to that side of the vehicle, pointed cameras, and WHAM!!! A golden eagle in a vertical stoop nailed that fox to the tundra. Since the fox was too big to carry off, he just started ripping pieces off and eating them in plain view of tourist cameras. I was thrilled. The driver was thrilled. The tourists... not so much. (Come on, you get to see a golden eagle eat a silver fox, and you aren’t gobsmacked by the sheer awesomeness of nature? Get a life)

Viking_Hillbilly and boneyguy like this.
  12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

When I was a teenager I was watching a wild rabbit in our backyard. In the blink of an eye, something came came down and hit the rabbit and took off again. It was so fast I couldn’t tell how big or what color it was. When I went out to look, the only thing left was some fur and blood.

13. Toto'sDad

It's strange, after the whole ordeal is over, you get a good nights sleep, some breakfast, a hot cup of coffee or two, and it's like it never happened.

14. Toto'sDad

The hawks that hang out at golf courses where coots thrive on the ponds are very particular. They will swoop down on the pond, grab a coot, then take him to the nearby shore and devour him while his mates look on interestedly. The hawk will only pull out the breast, consume it, and leave the rest of the poor fellow for the coyotes who come by later during the night. It's a system.

15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I was in NYC a couple years ago and saw a hawk in Central Park pulling it’s prey to sinew on the bough of a tree. Quite fitting, as I had just completely bombed a gig and the old monster ate me for lunch.

16. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Many years ago I lived in rural Oklahoma. I was chilling out on my back porch one morning with a cup of coffee listening to some birds rustle around in the bushes next to me. Suddenly a hawk silently swooped down past me, totally ignoring me, and nabbed a bird from the bush. The hawk flew off (with its catch) right past me, so close I could feel the air from its flapping wings. Quite an experience.

17. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

My spirit animal is the hawk.

CJM3309 likes this.
  18. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Looking out the living window a few years ago, I heard a bunch of crows raising hell. I got out the binoculars and saw what the fuss was about. A bald eagle was casually tearing apart the carcus of a blue heron. Our property was adjacent to a heron habitat area. I don't know if the eagle left anything for the crows. Crows and raptors don't get along.

19. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I was at work one day and a bird shot under a parked vehicle, just behind it was a hawk but it was too big to get under the car so the bird lived for another day.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

someone told me once that there are 50 birds for each human...

that.. is a lot of birds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.