Real men (& women) play Telecasters

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblueman, Feb 7, 2016.

1. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

I spent three hours last night playing my '64 AVRI as well as 2 1/2 hours the night before. Today, the knuckle of my index finger is sore as hell & my fretting hand in general feels like it's been through some kind of bizarre crossfit workout:p
    Never experienced this issue after playing my Les Paul for any extended period of time.
    Is this the "fight" everyone talks about with Telecaster's? Difference's in fretboard radius's (12 vs 7.25) Or, is it possible I'm just getting old:eek:

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Might need a little set up work to suit your playing. They most all do.

None of my Teles play any harder than any of my Strats.
    They will be different than Les Pauls because of longer scale length.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I can play either of my two Teles for hours on end and not have any fatigue. Both have modern C necks.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pain is nothing more than weakness leaving the body.

5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm possibly more to do with different feel / longer scale on strings.
    I know if I play my LP Jr for a while and then jump to the Tele there is an adjustment period.
    I'm also of the mind you can get use to anything so if you play the Tele for a while you my go back to the LP and over comp at first

back many years one of my first guitars was a Tele.
    Try as I might I could not get any "sustain" high up the neck
    It sounded plinky and thin
    Friends of mine and better guitarists could get more out of the guitar but was not doing well.
    I happened to buy a LP Jr
    You could plu it into a vacume cleaner and it would sustain
    All though I didn't know why at the time the shorter scale made the Jr easier to play
    After using the Jr for a while, learning to control the tone etc etc I needed a guitar with a neck pu soI broke out the good old Tele.
    Well don't you know that my training on the LP Jr taught me how to get sustain and now going back onto the Tele I could get sustain on the bridge pu, ..... up the neck.

The neck pu was even easier.

It was not as easy as it was with the Jr

And I'm not saying that the Tele was singing like the Jr

It was different but none the less I could now get sustained ( Tele ) tones

Hope this helps

Gary

6. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

It's part of aging. I finally put 9's on my 52 hot rod after using 10's that came on it. To keep on playing you have to make adjustments. The Hod Rod is also the lightest guitar I own, another adjustment to be made.

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Different scale length on Gibsons and Fenders means I go one gauge lighter strings on Fenders. For me 9-42 Fender 10-46 Gibson.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Or injury occurring...

9. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Thanks for the insightful replies. The Tele is set up properly. My guess is that because the Les Paul has a pretty chunky neck, combined with a flatter radius, shorter scale length, & my big hands just makes it more ergonomically appropriate to play for hours on end with minimal effort.
    The Telecaster on the other hand, has a 7.25in. radius, comparatively smaller neck, combined with "vintage" tiny frets and greater scale length. So, essentially the fretting hand has to press harder against greater string tension & smaller frets ????

I believe the remedy is just to man up & play the Tele more :D

10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The remedy is to get another neck for your tele, or a different tele, so it will have at least a 9" radius and a fatter/deeper neck profile and at least medium jumbo frets. Your hands will be happier.

11. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Keith Richards often talks about how people tend to overplay their guitars. Recently i've been trying to really play lightly - it's made a big difference in how I interact with my Tele (doesn't work so well on my acoustic....)

12. barker

barker Tele-Meister

It's the scale length, it's longer on the tele. On top of that, there's no strat tremolo which allows a little "give". It's good excercize ☺️

13. MHtele

MHtele TDPRI Member

I prefer the slightly higher tension of the strings on a 25.5 inch scale as I do. The shorter 24.75 scale guitars I've tried makes the strings seem a bit too loose or slinky to me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Tele's have some fight in them! (I actually heard Robben Ford say that in an interview)

I think it's partly the scale length, as someone else mentioned, combined with the string through body, bridge configuration. Strats don't seem as bad although they are harder than a Les Paul.

Real men play whatever the hell they want to play.

15. Citrus Monolith

Citrus Monolith TDPRI Member

There's definitely something different about a tele, even compared with other hard tail 25.5" guitars I've played. They always seem less forgiving somehow which is part of the charm for me. I'm no Les Paul hater though. I love my Les Paul Custom. There's something funny about how totally different the two most famous single cuts are from each other, yet how they perfectly compliment one another. Get a good Les Paul and Tele and you're set IMO.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes the small frets are the culprit,get the neck refreted with nice jumbo or medium jumbo frets and you will be in heaven.6150 are my absolute favorites these days especially on a vintage radius neck.By installing medium jumbo frets on a vintage radius neck you get both of best worlds: easy chording because of the tight radius and increased bendability because of the large frets.

17. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

That is my problem; I grip too hard and as a consequence my hand is burning. It's a habit that is hard to break, maybe impossible, after decades of doing so.

Thank you. Exactly what I think too.

18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Something like a Baja (50s) neck would suit your hands a lot better, from the sound of it. I use one a lot in performance, along with a Gibson, with a 50s profile neck. Very compatible.

19. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

+1 on using a Baja 50's neck. I have one on my Tele Custom partscaster...the bigger frets, 9" radius and beefy profile make it really a joy to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.