Real butt cracks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Dan Estock, Jun 25, 2020.

1. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Overtighting screws is always a bad idea...:cry:
    The best and professional way is drilling the screwholes out, let thin superglue rin in the cracks, dowel and drill new holes. Get a finish on the neck.

2. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Deeve and dogmeat like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yet you opened it anyway. I couldn't look away either...

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Wick in some water-thin CA and let it set up for an hour before reassembly if it bothers you.

There's really nothing to be too concerned about; the two neck screws closest to the headstock are the ones that resist the majority of the string pull on the neck.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

perhaps the neck screws were too long and the wood split when the screw went into the new wood without a pilot hole...?...

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's not a crack, this is a crack...

crack.jpg

7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is superglue better than PVA or warm hide glue for this type of crack repair? I always presumed (although not sure the exact basis) they were always better for wood repair so curious.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am going to think that those screws holes were drilled too small for the screws, and the screw is what forced thise cr@cks to occur. One might want to screw the screws in and watch as those cracks open up. If this happens, then one would want to run some slightly thinned wood glue into those cracks. Then as the screws are taken out, you will see the excess glue squeeze out. Run the screws in and out a few times to ‘work’ the glue into the full depth of the crack. Remove the screws, wipe the excess, and clamp the neck from side to side....wipe excess again. When the glue is properly dried...don’t rush things....then drill appropriately sized holes and reattach the neck to the guitar.

9. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

Just like Wally said it spread when I started putting a screw in, I will follow your suggestion for working in some glue, thanks all

John Owen, telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that looks like a problem crack - how much more, before you say "cannot repair"?

11. Wally

well, if I wanted to try to assure that the cracks never open up again, I would insert some hard rock maple splines at an angle across that cracks. Done properly, that would assure that the problem will never come back.

Deeve likes this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's been completely stable since 1983. It was glued and clamped

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The OP's neck cracks will act as vents to allow the guitar to breathe more easily. Something we know to be very important .... at least in marketing circles.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I stayed away for days!
    OK only half a day.

So I've been a woodworker and guitar fixer for 40 years, and seen a lot of bad repairs.
    Some bad repairs get repeated so many times that players seeing them over and over start calling them good repairs andf suggesting them in situations that do not need such stuff.

IME drilling a big hole, gluing in a dowel, and drilling screwing into the end grain of the generally softer dowel material is a bad "repair".
    Yet popular.
    Crazy glue is not wood glue.
    Woodworkers and the wood industry do not glue up wood with crazy glue.
    It's good for certain kinds of guitar repair, but not as a wood glue substitute.

The most important thing is probably opening the crack to force in some glue if you choose to glue those cracks.
    I agree it was likely holes drilled too small, not screws over tightened, and if it was me I'd not only screw in the screws to open the cracks, but gently bend them back and forth during the wicking process, plus put a dab of glue in the hole before driving the screw, to pressurize it into the bottom of the crack. Smear it in with fingertips too, which is a hydraulic pressure process, as opposed to the atmospheric pressure forcing in the glue when opening the crack creates a theoretical vacuum.
    Of course clamp securely and wipe off excess wood glue.

Titebond I, the old original stuff is probably best, the II and III are for wet applications and harder to clean up off the finish where it will drip when you clamp.
    Hide glue is the right stuff when you know you or the next tech will need to heat and remove the glued part.
    Here you won't be taking it apart later...we hope...

After the glue repair, as @Wally said, drill the holes to the correct size, taking care to not drill through the board!
    Just to be safe, I might leave the clamp on when I drill and drive the screws the first time, to support the load bearing job the glue is doing while cutting new threads in the hard maple.
    Little end cracks at stress points tend to open again.
    Using too little or the wrong glue worsens that.
    Too,little meaning not deep enough into the crack.
    The glue that runs down the sides doesn't count.
    Hence the need for a wicking or forcing in process, which really only works well if you open and close the crack repeatedly.

A real luthier will often break a crack further apart to ensure a good glue up.
    A very short glue joint in a high stress spot, like this?
    More strength from the screw than from the joint, in terms of the two being arm wrestlers.
    Later on if it cracks again it might be from smacking the headstock into your amp and shifting it in the pocket.

beagle and Wally like this.
  15. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Wicking thin cyanocralate in there will stabilize the cracks. I looks like they didn't use a large enough pilot drill before cranking it down.

16. Wally

The problem with super glue types of glue is that IF the crack opens back up, the next repair is more likely to be of no avail. Super glues coat and seal the surfaces. Wood glues soak into the wood and creates a bond that is stronger than the wood was before the break. If the repair fails, the break is able to be repaired again.
    for this repair, I would strongly suggest gluing the cracks, let the repair sit for 24 hours or so, and then open up some channels at a 45 degree angle to and across the crack and glue in maple splines...make the channels about 1/2 deep and perhaps 3/16” wide. This repair will never fail.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    boris bubbanov and beagle like this.
  17. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

^^^ that would definitely be doing it right!^^^ I would drill the correct size pilot hole which should prevent any further opening.

18. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

What diameter bit for the standard neck screw?

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Jed, Ellie Mae, Granma?

John Owen likes this.
  20. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

heat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.