1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real budget set-up

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kiwi_Neil, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

I play at home nearly all the time, just to amuse myself and to learn. I do have a couple of friends that come over, and we have some fun. I don't want to make a massive amount of noise, but I do want the sound to be really nice. Similarly, I don't want to spend a lot of money buying all sorts of amp related stuff so I started with Guitar Rig 5 Amp sim software.....which is really good. Playing through the computer is ok, but the speakers, although quite good, are small and they sound accordingly...small!!

I was given a NUX MG-200 Guitar Modelling Processor that my friend who bought online it via Ali Express. It arrived just fine, but the looper function didn't work properly so he told the supplier, who sent a replacement and also told him to keep the first one sent. So my friend gave me the one with the faulty looper! I also used that through the computer speakers.

At a garage sale I picked up a pair of Panasonic home stereo speakers for $5 for no other reason than they were just $5. The speakers are of course passive speakers so I went looking online (Ali Express) for an amp that would power the speakers. I picked up the Kinter MA-170 2 channel amp for $31 (NZ$) including shipping, and also including the power supply and the 3.5mm to RCA cable!!

SO I plug in the guitar to the NUX MG-200 and also into the NUX I plug in my MP3 player for backing tracks etc. I then take a line out from NUX via the headphone jack to the Kinter amp, and from the amp to the speakers. I do a similar setup from the computer when I use Guitar Rig 5.

The end result is very, very nice. On both the NUX and Guitar Rig 5 I have all the 'tone controls' that I could wish for, plus the amp has it's own volume, bass and treble pots. If I crank up the sound to 100% on the amp, and on NUX, it's way too loud. If I have NUX at 50% and amp at 75% I can get some really excellent sounds that's still loud enough to annoy others in the house, but not the people next door.

I'm currently screwing the 2 speaker cabs together and making a frame on top to securely hold NUX and the amp in place, then I will attach a car seatbelt to use as a strap to carry the whole setup around as needed. SO I'm portable with the whole amp setup in one hand, MP3 player in my pocket, and guitar over my shoulder to go to friends houses or garages or whatever, and the complete cost of the amp, speakers, and NUX MG-200 (which was free), $42 (NZ$).

The specs of the amp are below, and I'm really pleased with the whole setup....it's perfect for me :)

Input Voltage----------------- DC9V-14.4V
    Rated Power----------------- 20W*2(P.O.P.M)
    Load Impedance------------ 4-16ohms
    SNR---------------------------- more than 70db
    Distortion Rate-------------- 0.1%
    Channel---------------------- 2 channel

Please excuse the pollen in the pics that is everywhere in the house at the moment!

SAM_3095.JPG

SAM_3096.JPG

SAM_3100.jpg

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like your approach...

Cheap is more fun ....

Kiwi_Neil and PhredE like this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I'm a chronic tinkerer.
    I have been known to work one level down -- so to speak. Here you go: about 15WRMS [x2] into 8ohms (TDA7377, class AB Solid state). Power supply is 105W (7amp) at 15vdc: $16; stereo audio amp: $12
    ..Just for fun

-- stick a Joyo American Sound in front of it, and it actually sounds pretty decent.
    Most won't believe (or maybe not understand it). I am a rebel at heart apparently..

Attached Files:

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  4. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Excellent!!!

PhredE likes this.
  5. rangercaster

I used to get Hendrix tone out of my Mom's am/fm radio ... a Panasonic I believe ...

That thing wailed....

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Rustic. I like it!
    It puts off the eventual spending which realistically will be inevitable in the future - but this rig could last for a long time if taken care of, like twenty years long.:D:D

Kiwi_Neil and PhredE like this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

That Kinter amp has very similar specs to a similar amp I have -- same power, voltage, etc. specs. I'll bet it is a "Class T" (Class D variant). If so, you can bump up the PS voltage from the default 12vdc to about 13.5 or possibly 14 and bump up the performance a bit. A little extra power for some of the newer/smaller Class D amps can often give a noticeable output boost. ;) ('Been there, done that').

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  8. rangercaster

Les Paul stuck the phonograph needle from his mother's record player into his guitar for some volume...

9. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

And if I blow it up, it's easy and cheap to replace!!

rangercaster, stormsedge and PhredE like this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Well, yeah. But, I don't want you to go burning up electronics unnecessarily! You should be able to scan through owner's manual and look it up online. Most of that class of audio amp has onboard overvoltage protection (auto-shutdown usually). But, if you're handy with a power supply (or can find a wallwort of appropriate voltage / amp rating), you might try it ... ever so carefully.

Since the PS rating for that amp is about 14VDC, @ 2, or 2.5amps, so you'll be lucky to get 30watts output.
    Not huge, but pumped into an efficient speaker (I build my own as you can see over << there in my sig pic) that can be loud.

Those Class T Tripath audio amps are pretty amazing. They aren't huge on output, but the ones I've played with are robust and clean. Use a GOOD power supply to get the best sounding output.

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  11. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

That's great, thank you. The friend who gave me the NUX is pretty handy in the electronics dept. He is a ham radio enthusiast as well as guitar player and he builds all sorts of electronic stuff that I don't understand. He would be just the very chap to guide me along. I'll show him your post and see what we can come up with. The Kinter is a tidy little unit, I may even get another just to keep in it's box...just in case!!

stantheman and PhredE like this.
  12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Cool. Good luck. Post back sometime and let me know how things turn out.

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  13. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Budget club unite! Using an old $25 Vox ToneLab TT (table top) routed via a loop switch in to a tube buffered pedal board and then routed through a cheap used behringer mixer out to head phones or some $2 (garage sale) tiny powered Bose computer spkrs works great. However recently discovered the cats meow. Which is routing the tonelab through the mixer "twice". So what's going on. Mixer: Channel 1 is the aux input for noodling along youtube vids/cd/mp3/whatever. Channel 2 handles input from the tube buffered pedal board (which may or may not include the tonelab switched/looped-in). And channel 3 is stereo from the tonelab's headphone output.

Anyway running the tonelab twice through the mixer is HUGE, has depth, swirl and ambience. Using the channels allows all kinds of tweaking. Love that I can get a big clean with great pick attack nuance (especially using headphones)...it very addictive. One of these days when the Mrs is out of the house, I'll try routing it through the tube amps.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    PhredE, rangercaster and Kiwi_Neil like this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I have used a VOX DA5 for years as travel amp... it costed me 50€

It ticks all the boxes, amp, effects (if you want them), speaker sim line out, aux in, light, battery/cord, good tone, even nice as it was a Classic with the Vox looks

PhredE and rangercaster like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very cool...I do have some idle biggish stereo speakers ;).

PhredE and Kiwi_Neil like this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Was a guy @ a mine I worked at who played a Ibanez to a battery powered Line 6 Pocket Pod, line in to a Makita 18v work radio supplied b the mine workshop & nailed it.
    He could play though!

PhredE and Kiwi_Neil like this.
  17. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

hahaha...THAT was EXACTLY me in 1983...

(first) e-guitar into a ghettoblaster (aux in) and there it was, this crazy dense fuzzy tone that sounded similar to the Digitech Grunge into the mixer... without speaker sim..

Basically it was a "guitar workstation" because I could record on tape :)

like EVH once said: you have to eat sh** in order to know how good a steak tastes

that was 3 years before my first amp... a "holy grail" Marshall Lead12

18. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

That's great!!!!

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Cool setup.

20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

my most effective/best sounding micro set up would be:

Guitar-Atomic Amplifire (+aux in IPod) and active Tannoys or AKG K701 (late night)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.