Real '52 vs '52 RI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Teleterr, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

. This sounds like it has AlNiCo 5 pickups to me instead of the AlNiCo 3 which the supposedly authentic '12 to '17 has. What do y'all think ? Now he does have the bass and treble on 5 instead of 3 and 6 which is as near to flat as possible.But it's pretty bassy and full sounding instead of the high, sweet, slightly thin sound that I associate w 3.

Alter and heffus like this.
  2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Am I just mistaken, or is that guy a pretty OK player? :eek: Very skilled, yet still with a raw, sloppy, slap happy feel. I agree with the amp setting comments and might even go a tad more with the Treble at the amp and tame it at the guitar, if/when needed!:D Of course, I always enjoy having that little bit "extra" available at my fingertips.

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Teleterr likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

So difficult to hear that kind of nuances via a YT video, and also very difficult to generalize what "real 52 pickups" sound like. 70 years of aging under all kinds of conditions determine rather varying outcomes. That said, my (2011) AV 52 is pretty bassy as telecasters go.

teletail and Teleterr like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Teleterr likes this.
  5. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

In 2007 I bought an awesome 52 AVRI Tele at Guitar center and they had a 1953 one on the vintage wall.I was cool with the salesguys and since I just bought the 52 reissue they allowed me the unique opportunity to A/B them.I had both of them with me taking turns plugging them into the same amp and assessing the sonic differences.I was pleasantly surprised that overall my 52 reissue sounded very similar and just as nice...Fender did their homework in dialling in those pickups to capture that same sonic color and vibe.Any subtle tonal difference between the two guitars would be attributed to the particulars of the pieces of wood and setup differences.Of course the 1953 had more mojo being around for several decades and had that old world vibe and matured character but the reissue was really voiced to be what those early 1950s Tele were like.Sonically I couldn't say one was better than the other...they both sounded like what a great Telecaster should be like.Even the neck profiles were remarkably similar.That day was a good realisation that a properly designed and built reissue can perform just as well and faithfully to the original it is imitating.

scelestus, Teleterr and mimmo like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the magnets at that time were not categorised like that and that there was a generalised ALNICO.

Additionally there are wide differences in the winding of pickups in terms of turns etc that mean there are only individual guitars to compare with rather than a standard 52

Guitars all sound different. I have 3 ‘60s style 3 teles with precisely the same Pure Vintage 64 set control pots nitro finished alder bodies and rosewood fingerboards. And they all sound different in terms of brightness attack sustain and tone response. Yes there are many variables at play. These types of YT comparisons are essentially misleading.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

'11 would be AlNiCo 5.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Fender thinks otherwise, hense the AlNiCo 3 for the "totally faithful" '12-'17 s. But they do a good job confusing us w their variations within models, so maybe they ve confused themselves as well.

9. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I think Nacho's Blackguard book suggests Fender used both A3 & A5 magnets - most of the earliest Esquires, Broadcasters & Nocasters used A3 magnets before the switch to A5.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Are you 100% sure? I’d be really happy to see the specs of the Original Vintage pickups (98-2011 AV52) vs those of the Pure Vintage 52. Lots of members think it’s the same pickup, and in A/B tests they sounded pretty darn the same to my ears…

11. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Exactly. There isn’t “a” 1952 tele or “a” reissue tele. If you put 5 real 1952 teles on a shootout, they’d all sound different.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.