1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Real 1951 Les Paul Fender Nocaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Knightforce, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightforce

Knightforce TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Real 1951 Fender Nocaster. Vintage Guitar With History; Signed TG

Found This On E-Bay:
    Price:
    US $34,999.00

1951 Fender Nocaster. Condition is Used.

I added a picture showing the date and initials and a picture of my young dad (2nd from left) with a young Conway Twitty (middle).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My father was a local musician in a 60s band called the Jokers best known from Rick Derringers hit Rock’n’Roll Hoochie Koo as the band really laying it down.

One of the members of that band Dickey Betts went on to play guitar for the Alman Brothers and my dad turned down Loretta Lynn to stay and open a construction company and raise his kids.

My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March and died quickly on the 4th of July before he could do anything with his collection.

Two of his guitars seem to be rare, one is a 59 Stratocaster (Dakota Red) and the other a 51 Nocaster (Blonde)

So that is the history of the original owner, now for some more information about this rare guitar. Serial number 0851 is die stamped on the metal bridge plate. The body date is 5/10/51 and initial T.G. in the neck pocket is consistent with the serial number for this guitar being originally assembled in the year 1951.This guitar was professionally refinished at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan during November-December 1995. The present finish appears to be in fine condition but the body finish does not replicate the correct original historic "butterscotch blond" appearance. The body edges have been recontoured due to sanding during refinishing, the original fingerboard radius is distorted due to sanding from refinishing. The original fingerboard has been re-fretted, the spaghetti logo peghead decal has been removed, the string nut has been shimmed, the original brass string saddles have been replaced, the original Broadcaster style bridge pickup has been replaced with a staggered polepiece Telecaster pickup from the 1970s (but is non-functional due to a shortened coil). The original selector switch, potentiometers, capacitors and wiring harness have been replaced (the original potentiometers and selector switch are retained with the instrument). The pick guard has been replaced. In other respects, this guitar conforms to the specifications of the model for the period in which it was made with typical Telecaster shaped ash body, metal bridge plate with die-stamped serial number, removable metal bridge cover (ashtray), four bolt metal neck attachment plate, maple neck with adjustable truss rod, round metal string tree, metal control plate, and two knurled metal control knobs. The guitar is housed in a replacement rectangular Fender hard shell case from early 60s with black Tolex exterior covering and red plush interior lining.

I just had one of the best Professional Set Up this guitar. Includes the following:

Adjust Nut slots for proper height, width and pitch.

Adjust Saddle height and profile to match the fingerboard radius.

Truss rod adjustment for correct neck relief provides for best possible playability,

Intonation, Tuners and Pickup heights adjusted.

Body cleaned and polished. Re-strung

Hope You Enjoyed Seeing This Awesome Tele!

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Really cool. Sorry about your daddy. Sounds like a cool guy who did some awesome things. I believe Charlie Archer played guitar for Loretta Lynn, in the 60's/70's. He also played guitar for Conway Twitty. If you look up Conway Twitty Rolling In My Sweet Baby's Arm on youtube and watch the Hee Haw version you can see him playing a cool solo on an ES-335. Kind of cool to think that could have possibly been your dad. :)

Also that finish is interesting and looks closer to natural than the standard blonde of the area. Even the standard blondes aged don't usually look that natural. Awesome guitar man, and thank you for sharing.

Edit: That version is no longer on youtube but he plays the same solo on the record version, but obviously you can't watch it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Lots of questions.

What's a Les Paul Tele?
    Who found/who sold it on ebay?
    Who owns it now?
    Who tells this tale about his father etc.
    etc.

A lot of ????

Crobbins, Jared Purdy and Lockback like this.
  4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Wasn't it tuned?
    What kind of set up is this?

5. Knightforce

Knightforce TDPRI Member

I'm not sure if there is a name or kind associated with the setup. It just sounds to me like a tweaking. Here's the URL to the Guitar: CLICK HERE

6. Knightforce

Knightforce TDPRI Member

1951 Les Paul FenderNoCaster
    The 1951 FenderNoCaster” is an electric guitar with an interesting history. The NoCaster is the precursor to Fender's Telecaster, the most popular solid body electric guitar in history. These rare electric guitars were initially called “Broadcaster” during the initial run in 1950.

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Still that funny smell...

...and those questions.

howardlo and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Knightforce

Knightforce TDPRI Member

Google:

People also ask
    What is the rarest Fender guitar?

1951 Les Paul Fender “NoCaster”

These rare electric guitars were initially called “Broadcaster” during the initial run in 1950.

It is #8 on the
    9 Rarest Electric Guitars in the World

9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Since you're new here, I want to be nice to you.
    We don't say : google! here. That's not the way we discuss.
    And I guess we all here know very well what a "nocaster" is.
    But that was not the question. Please re-read the questions, if you seriously want to discuss here.
    It would appreciated if you would clear up this mess.

10. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Why Les Paul? Was he linked to this guitar?

Cadillac_Mike and CCK1 like this.
  11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

'Adjust Nut slots for proper height, width and pitch. Adjust Saddle height and profile to match the fingerboard radius. Truss rod adjustment for correct neck relief provides for best possible playability, Intonation, Tuners and Pickup heights adjusted. Body cleaned and polished. Re-strung.'

Verbose guitar tech language to cover a large fee for what is essentially a fairly basic setup.

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Especially these two are special...

(I had my tuners adjusted today, too. Now the guitar is much better in tune. Hope this holds a while.)

CCK1 and nojazzhere like this.
  13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Adjusted nut slots and no headstock decal.

14. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Shipping is only $700!

Knightforce are you the seller or just calling attention to the strange listing for a "Les Paul Nocaster?" The seller is in Celina Ohio and knightforce is in Cahttanooga, 7.5 hours away

The ebay listing has been cleaned up and it no longer says "les paul fender nocaster." The listing seems honest about what's been changed, but the price seems nuts to me. The TG signature looks fake, but personally I regard the vintage guitar market as a minefield and usually stay far way. "les Paul fender nocaster" is a phrase indicating that the seller has no idea what they are talking about, but whoever listed the changes does know

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    howardlo, Cadillac_Mike, CCK1 and 3 others like this.
  15. adamp824

adamp824 Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure this is the reason TDPRI is getting a bad rep on other forums. There's no need to be rude. No need to reprimand someone on their first day of joining. Or ridicule.

I'm guessing the OP got a lot of their information from a certain website that has incorrect information on it (https://rarest.org/music/electric-guitars). Honest mistake.

To the OP: Welcome.

Drew617, phart and MickM like this.
  16. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Mr. Les Paul owned a Fender Nocaster. There are some google links about that, could be part of confusion.

Regardless, power to anyone who will drop $35k on an eBay guitar that was refinished and had a pickup replaced. Braver than I am.

17. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Sorry if it came as rude. This was not intended.
    I just wanted that very dubious 1st posting to be cleared up, and I'm still waiting.

howardlo, ArcticWhite, CCK1 and 4 others like this.
  18. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

I don’t think people are necessarily being rude, but definitely confused.

I would expect the same if someone posted a link for a “real Stratocaster Gibson Explorer”

Crobbins, howardlo, CCK1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have two thoughts.

a. I mourn the loss of the OP's father, and send my sincere condolences to the whole family.

and,

b. The title of this thread makes no sense whatsoever.

:(

20. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I like that finish too. It reminds me of Roy Buchanan’s 53 Nancy that seemed to have a blonde finish that looked almost « natural » on pics and videos:
    upload_2021-4-13_12-54-21.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.