Ready to build an amp. Which Kit?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by maxvintage, Dec 13, 2017.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

After many years of hemming and hawing, I'm ready to build an amp, and I've settled on the 5E3 deluxe. I've decided to go with a kit and a premade chassis for my first build, rather than sourcing all the parts from Mouser.

I've read Rob Robinette's pages--thank you, Robrob.

I want a straight up no mods right-out-of-rudy-van-gelder's-studio 50s tweed deluxe. Mods are great, fine, but I want to start with the original.

I can build my own cab

Any suggestion for a kit? I'm looking at the Boothill kit, which seems well priced and lets me order the transformers separately. Should i care about boutique caps and resisters? Or will Boothill get the job done?

Any feedback welcome

2. kneedeepinit

kneedeepinit TDPRI Member

I like the sound from my Boothills Champ. The instructions were good but not as good as Mojotone's kit I built. A little research and you would probably be fine.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I've recently finished building a 5f2a from a Mojotone kit. I like the parts that come with the Mojotone kits, but I've also looked at Boothill as I've considered building a 5e3 soon. Boothill kits will definitely get the job done, and I don't think you'll find a better price on a kit anywhere. I have recently heard some complaints about the type of wire sent with the kit being a bit unruly, but many have built a Boothill 5e3 and have loved them. Plus, Dave will offer guidance here on TDPRI as you build.

Also: your idea of building stock first is a good one. I say go for Boothill!

4. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

my boothill 5e3 went together without issue.
    nice chassis too - good chrome and stenciling.

5. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I have done 2 kits from Boothill, great customer service and Dave - Hackworth, the owner, monitors this site. He will review your build photos and comment as needed.

6. dunner84

dunner84 Tele-Meister

+1 on boothill. I have a truly fantastic amp, and the price can't be beat! I did have issues with the wire, but it's so negligible. With the money you save on the kit, you can pick up some fancy wire if you're worried..
    I also got transformers from him, and some nice NOS tubes. Doesn't hurt to ask what he has in stock...

7. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

Just finished boothill 5E3 - great kit and Dave is super great guy to deal with. I am building a 5F2A from boothill next.

8. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

You can't go wrong with a Mojotone kit. You can delete the tubes, cabinet, and speaker. $377 plus shipping. All the parts in one shipment. The other advantage is mojo uses cloth push back wire, which in my opinion, is easier to deal with in tight spaces. There's a ton of info out there on the 5e3, get your soldering skills up to snuff if they aren't already, and go for it. I would suggest using robrob's split grounding scheme, I used it, and my 5e3 has zero hum. I agree with your going with the stock circuit, it sounds really great.

9. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Boothill, no question. FWIW, even after you factor in the cost of transformers mojotone is still nearly $100 more than BH. I wouldn't worry too much about the wire, a lot of people (myself included) like solid core, but stranded is fine too. Really its just a matter of personal preference, it won't make any difference in how your amp sounds as lead dress can be done well with either.

IMO, boutique caps are snake oil and boutique resistors are even worse. If you want to burn money on fancy parts do it on the transformers or tubes (my vote is for tubes). Good call on building your own cab, that is by far the best way to lower the cost of a build.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Boutique caps and resistors are ass. A lot of them are replicating earlier inferior tech and a lot is it is just a cosmetic outer - why would you want paper in Oil or wax? Really?

Use mylar or polypropylene caps, electros only where you must. I would use metal film resistors for things like bias resistors, and personally in the tone path of a new build. Use quality high temp caps but there's no need to get 2kv ratings unless that's all there is.

Cloth covered wire is nice for the aesthetic but high temp insulation is better IMO.

Nickfl likes this.
  11. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have gotten probably 1/3 of my parts from Boothill over the past 4 or 5 years. Everything worked out great. Even for builds that were more custom, and not “kits”. Just ask Dave what he has in stock. You may be surprised. Great guy with a company that is honest and thoughtful.

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

+5 or so now for me, using Boothill. No complaints only praise.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Thank you all very much for the replies. Since Christmas is coming, I forwarded links to Mojotone and Boothill to my wife and daughter, and they can make the call!

14. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

My son built a Mojotone 5e3 (his 2017 high school grad present). All the parts worked and fit perfectly, the cab is super nice, finished amp sounds great and he loves it.

Also, every Mojotone transaction I have done over the years was a nice experience. Zero complaints about them.

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All the kits are good my first build was a Boothill 5E3. Most kits have a pretty high failure rate if you don't post pic & ask question while your building it.

16. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

My first, and only, was a Hoffman Princeton Reverb kit. No problems, sounds great. el34world.com is Hoffman's Amp website, you'll get ton's of help if needed. The kit list can be a bit hard to find, so here it is:http://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perl...hispage=PartsListIndex.htm&ORDER_ID=454536620 ....or so I hope. You will have to source a cabinet, or build your own. A good quality soldering iron is very helpful!

I really enjoyed building one.

17. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My very first build (ca.2003) was a Mission 5E3. FWIW, I recommend getting a quality kit from a source that will provide some support for a newbie.. Bruce Collins was outstanding for that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.