Ready Steve uh-huh...Andy yeah...Mick okay

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The original is great, but I always preferred the Surf Punks' version. Dennis Dragon KILLS on the drums here:

pi

Tele-Holic
I love the Replacements, and their Live at Maxwell's is killer. They "cover" Sweet's Fox on the Run.

I put cover in quotes because the song peters out just as it's starting up. Always wondered what happened there--were they being ironic? just messed up and dropped it? forgot how the song goes?

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
I liked "Fox On The Run" better than "Ballroom Blitz" as a kid. Also "Little Willy", which one of my aunts delighted in using as a reference to a neighbor child who wouldn't go home.
To be honest, I never thought much about the band Sweet (or is The Sweet?) at all. Perhaps I should have.

Double Stop

Tele-Afflicted
I love the Replacements, and their Live at Maxwell's is killer. They "cover" Sweet's Fox on the Run.

I put cover in quotes because the song peters out just as it's starting up. Always wondered what happened there--were they being ironic? just messed up and dropped it? forgot how the song goes?

“were they being ironic? just messed up and dropped it? forgot how the song goes?”

All of the above! Love the Mats! Great post.

Reactions: pi

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
alright fellas...let's go!

Ballroom Blitz, Fox On The Run, Little Willy... Maybe I didn't dig deep enough beyond those, but IMO every one of those songs was horrid crap. Maybe they had better songs, but the hits didn't compel me to listen to any more.

Cesspit

Tele-Afflicted
Sweet were a rock band. And I mean rock as Deep Purple. My sister brought their first single Cocoa I think it was called. A horrible, commercial chart topper. One day she went to play the single and put on the B side. Oh my God, out of the speaker came some butt kicking rock, really great stuff.

They were clearly being pushed in the chart direction by the record company, and it worked but underneath it all they were a rock band. Their live shows were reported to be really kicking, though I never got to see them.