1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Read any good music related Books lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lost_N_Austin, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a Book "Diary of a Player" by Brad Paisley at the Amigo's Guitar Show in Fort Worth.
    I found it pretty entertaining maybe because I've meet him briefly and we both call Redd Volkaert a friend. Of course Redd didn't play at my wedding like he did for Brad and Kimberly.

Anybody read a good book about the music business or musicians that you recommend?
    Here is a picture of a few I've either read or that I am reading.

upload_2019-10-25_12-16-21.jpeg

I think my favorite has been the Pattie Boyd book and the Andy Summers book. I'm trying to get through the Bruce Springsteen book but its a monster of detail but amazingly crafted. I really gave up on the Janice Joplin books before finishing them. The Merle Haggard book was more fiction with the way he talked about some of his habits.

Lost_N_Austin

idjster and DonM like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

“Killing Yourself to Live” by Chuck Klosterman

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The one about Joni Mitchell "reckless daughter" is the best so far for me.

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't read it, but Flea's autobiography that just came out got a favorable review in the New York Times.

I'm not a big fan of the Smiths, though I don't dislike them, either, but I have tremendous respect for Johnny Marr, especially after reading this
    autobiography. Prior to reading it I had no idea how many different and successful projects he's been involved with.
    Not just involved, but a leading force---

A fair case can be made that Johnny Marr and The Edge are two huge influences on electric guitar to this day-- favoring more ambient sounds
    and more delicate rhythms over power chords. I suppose Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp are potential innovators in this camp as well....

If it weren't for these guys all of these bizarro boutique effects pedals might not exist today...

upload_2019-10-25_10-51-7.png

Sev112 and Lawdawg like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've read This Wheel's On Fire (Levon Helm), No One Here Gets Out Alive (Doors), I, Me, Mine (George Harrison) Hammer of the Gods (Led Zep) A good one (which may be out of print) is Rock, From the Beginning by Nik Cohn...from 1969. I also have Testimony by Robbie Robertson to read soon.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lately I've read :

Does The Noise in My Head Bother You? - Steven Tyler
    Bowie, The Biography
    Boys in the Trees, a Memoir - Carly Simon (really better than I thought it would be).
    Prince, A Man and His Music
    To Feel The Music - Neil Young
    Rod, The Autobiography - Rod Stewart (again, much better than I ever thought it would be).

This was good if you remember the 50s/60s :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6303704-does-the-noise-in-my-head-bother-you

DonM likes this.
  7. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

These are some of my favourites:

20191025_145527.jpg

8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

This is a great book. Really great.

[​IMG]

teleteej, pixeljammer and richiek65 like this.
  9. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

I just finished the Jorma Kaukonen autobiography Too Many Years. I am a big fan of Hot Tuna, so I really enjoyed it.

black_doug likes this.
  10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I also enjoyed this. Got it from the library.

11. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

12. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Trouble Boys, about the Replacements, is one of the best books about music I've ever read.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Can't recommend Jeff Tweedy's memoir enough -- Let's Go (So We Can Get Back). While obviously of most interest to Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/Tweedy fans, Tweedy is a fantastic writer and his book is full of humor, warmth, and insights on family and creativity.

clayville likes this.
  14. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

My GF got me this for my birthday last year; have already read it twice. I had actually met Greg & Carl Palmer under unusual circumstances about 45 years ago, and he actually mentioned the circumstances of that meeting in this book, which I thought was pretty cool.
    ELP has been my favorite band since '73, & will likely be until I die. No other band has ever come close to their live performances & songwriting. 001.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Jim622, nojazzhere and Moriarty like this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Published books printed on real paper? No. But I keep going back to this website. I guess it counts as sort of a book.

http://www.beatlesebooks.com/

Straydogger, dswo and nojazzhere like this.
  16. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I thought it was a genuinely good read, certainly recommended if you have an interest in British punk ( Viv was bezzie friends with Sid Vicious, she was the guitarist in The Slits and is the muse for Train in Vain by The Clash).

More recently I’ve read The Miami Showband Massacre. Irish showbands are one of the odder offshoots of pop music and the deaths of most of the members of the Miami pretty much brought the era to an end.

I did eventually get through Escaping the Delta by Elijah Wald. Essentially many of our notions of blues and authenticity are based on nonsense, just not sure I need to have been told it so many times in one book but if you are interested in pre war blues there’s a lot of information.

Quite a few pop/ rock memoirs although not many stand out. I did watch the Netflix version of The Dirt this week and haven’t read the book, assuming the film stays at all close to it that would be a wild read.

rze99 and fendertx like this.
  17. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I'll second this. Great read. It does help if you're a fan though.

Lawdawg likes this.
  18. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Biographies don’t interest me at all.
    However I can highly recommend Songwriting Secrets Of The Beatles by Dominic Pedler (as mentioned in another thread recently!).

Jerry_Mountains and DonM like this.
  19. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Rocks Off: 50 Songs that Tell the Story of The Rolling Stones by Bill Janovitz. He's the guitarist for Boston's own Buffalo Tom. He speaks your language. He can really write. Great stuff.

And it's the perfect companion to Keith Richards: Life - which is one of the best memoirs I've ever read, musician or non-musician.

+1 for Trouble Boys (The Replacements) and Jeff Tweedy's Let's Go. Both are outstanding, imho.

20. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Waiting to get my hands on the new Bloomfield book.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.