1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reaction Videos

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

My pleasure.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

That was sort of my point. In the last 30 years (jeez I'm old I recall when it came out...) it's probbaly been in movies, sports arenas, etc. A young person HAD to have heard it. I know I have heard Pitbull and DMX even if I haven't sought it out. I wouldn't expect a 70 year old church going granny to have heard it. Then again, this same person would have been a 40 year old when or came out, so entirely possible.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

young people now are no more or less ignorant than people born in the 50s, 60s, etc.

i was a teen in jazz programs during the early 00s. so i saw part of the "boomer jazz renaissance," around the time of the ken burns doc. suddenly jazz became the cool thing for upwardly mobile boomers around 40-60, no longer corny old man music or stuff for nerds. it became a middle class status symbol for the people who wouldn't be caught dead listening to it when they were in their 20s or 30s.

my father is a long time jazz fan, he was at a party of some couple friends of his. some miles record was playing and he goes "oh hey, i didn't know you were into miles." host of the party goes "oh i don't know, i just like to put the jazz station on at dinnertime these days."

Flat6Driver likes this.
  4. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think a big pretty cool if someone had an unboxing video of a casket.

5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I guess I'm the odd one here. I love those reaction vids and have seen dozens of them and I have posted them here on tdpri! Some of those hosts are making thousands of dollars doing their "shows." Some of the hosts critique the music very well and others are rather boring. The good ones excel at their show and have humor and schtick.

Who can forget Yetro Tool....

And these guys are FAH

DougM likes this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

These videos tried to overcome my cynicism, but alas, it was too strong for them.

7. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Everyone acts differently when they know they're being recorded. EVERYONE.

1955, Greggorios and SRHmusic like this.
  8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Almost certainly true, as long as "fake" is meant in the same way that pro wrestling and reality TV are fake - meaning they are performances for entertainment. The people making these videos are trying to build up an audience and amass views. Get enough viewers and you'll make money. It's no different from any other type of entertainment. I enjoy them from time to time when I need to make myself feel better with some lighthearted self-validation.

mindlobster likes this.
  9. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Some of them are pretty cool to watch. I find myself watching some of them far too often.....

dented likes this.
  10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Half of the threads on TDPRI are "reaction" threads. Y'all are just mad 'cause you can't figure out your video editing software.

11. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love this idea. We can all get together and start a channel of reaction videos to EDM for a start.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm amazed that people take the time and effort to set up and film this kind of behavior. I have no interest in that kind of self indulgence. The unboxing vids are a waste of time. I want specs mostly to things I'm interested in.

Now, as far as reaction vids, the Omegle vids (similar to chat roulette in the 00's) are entertaining. Completely random and sometimes dark and creepy.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The idea in general has potential, but 99 percent of them are boring as hell. There are some that are absolutely hilarious, however.

This guy does "War Pigs" and "Fairies Wear Boots." I am rolling on the floor very time I watch them.

duzie and gitlvr like this.
  14. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I've watched a few of these as they've popped up on my Youtube algorithm. They can be entertaining if done right. But it makes a difference if the people are reacting to the music you care about. I don't watch the ones where millennials react to Pink Floyd or Deep Purple or whatever. But show me a video with older people reacting to brutal death/slam? Christians reacting to Deicide or Cannibal Corpse? Yes please.

15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

But will you be as obsequious and cloying to the zoomers as the zoomers are to the boomers?

Most of these reaction videos feel a lot like this to me:

Flat6Driver likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You are all the most cynical and pessimistic bunch of people I've ever encountered. I feel sorry for you. You must really hate life, and the world, deep down inside. It's quite sad.

1955 and dented like this.
  17. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like to watch them sometimes, but yeah, the reactions can be a bit over the top.

Jo Jo is a young guy who does a pretty good job on these, and there's a couple of other ones too.

One of my favorites (there are several versions) is watching the reaction to the original Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.

Anyways, to each his own. If you don't like them, don't watch them. It's not like there's nothing else on the internet to waste your time. :D

Cheers,
    Doug

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

LOL, doesn't it get ya sometimes! :) Just roll with it.

19. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Can you make this into a reactionary YT so I can watch it and video myself reacting to your reaction?
    :eek::D

20. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

BCFC4974-F8D6-42D1-9190-AC0A6513CC4E.jpeg This is a more realistic “reaction” of (people not on camera) to anything that might possibly be of imminent value or importance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.