1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reaction Videos

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 12, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

These videos have apparently become very popular on YouTube, with a lot of different young people reacting to the music that we loved as teens. I find this very encouraging, because I seriously doubt that these kids are making these videos for their grandparents, but for others their age. So, I guess some of these young people are growing tired of the current pop and hip hop music and are exploring great music from the past. This, and all the great young electric guitar players, both female and male, that I see, gives me great hope for the future of guitar, and guitar music.
    And, these videos with Deep Purple just remind me how Ian and Roger were the most underrated rhythm section of all time. And, in Child in Time, Ritchie is actually smiling and having fun, instead of being the brooding, moody, and irritable scamp that he became.
    Finally, this live performance of The Immigrant Song is the very best live video I've ever seen from them, with Page as great as the two times I saw them, before he got sloppy and the drugs had taken their toll.

I know that all 3 videos I've posted here are from the same girl, but there are tons of similar ones from a lot of others too. Under the videos above the comments section she always says- If you don't agree with the classic rock music, then we're going to have a problem. Let's fight!
    She finds really good live performances too. I've never seen any of these before. Even the most overplayed song ever has a new fresh take here, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    pixeljammer and richiek65 like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I love your positive take on reaction videos. Perhaps I’ll try and take that attitude forward.

I always thought about them mostly being folks just needing you to know what they think. Self importance given a free social media platform kind of thing.
    Or vainly attempting to become famous without having actually done anything to deserve it.

uriah1, GGardner, 1955 and 8 others like this.
  3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I find those to be moronic. Here's why.

I feel like They are expecting the user to walk in thinking oh, here's a person that doesn't look like me listening to this and LIKING it. Showing off that the viewer had mis conceptions.

I'm not buying it.

Where are the videos of people listening to something and actually hating it?

My son listens to crap music. He played it for me in the car. Every song used the same drum loop. It was all crap. Wanna see my reaction video? LOL.

I saw one did I like. A young new orleans (?) Jazz drummer. Listens to Enter Sandman for this first time (not buying it). Actively listens and makes mental notes. Then plays the drums on the song and gets like 80% there. It was cool and not just making faces and agog of the songs. (Who has never heard enter sandman???)

Edits:typos fixed

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm just gonna stay grumpy.

1955, bender66, 985plowboy and 3 others like this.
  5. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

My guess is that these types of video are mostly fake.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

These videos remind me of what my generation took for granted.

I have no time for Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin and would never choose to listen to them.

But I can see how a generation raised on the Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran would be blown away by them.

BTW I have nothing against Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran - good luck to them - but in terms of what's underpinning the music, there is no comparison.

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Here we are taking about our opinions on a web forum. Circle of life.

985plowboy and SonicMustang like this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

And even if real, still a waste of time and clickbait.

mindlobster and Mr powers like this.
  9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Time in this thread is way more productive? Good grief. We’re all just online killing time.

10. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

When they pop up on YouTube i block then. It's like yeah this is good but I'll still stick with Cardi B.

11. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yup. Certain type of video becomes popular by big name YouTubers doing that type of video.

Then every wanna be YouTuber does a zillion of them to try to capitalize on that success for their own channel.

It’s a copycat world. It’s equally as insufferable as clickbait videos and “Here’s FIVE reasons why....” videos.

1955 likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Reaction videos are no different from "unboxing" videos, where the person gets all excited about the dang packaging. Really? Packaging?

This sorta stuff just reinforces anti-social habits like voyeurism.

To my way of thinking.

Your mileage, however, may vary. "Entertainment" appears in many different forms.

1955, Chiogtr4x, SRHmusic and 2 others like this.
  13. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

I'd prefer to see your reaction video to your son's music...sounds much more enjoyable and relatable...:D
    As someone else said, I believe the reaction videos in general are people trying to get youtube clicks and a following which leads to some monetizing of the channel .... :cool:

1955, SRHmusic and Flat6Driver like this.
  14. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Young people on Youtube realized how preachy their elders are about music from their generation, and have decided to capitalize on it. It's young people looking for money for video views, and old people looking for validation of their generation's music.

1955 likes this.
  15. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I would bet most people watching these videos are fans of the songs that the youtuber is "reacting to". Someone earlier brought up the point that the person reacting almost never dislikes what they are reacting to.

These types of videos are put out specifically so that the person watching experiences confirmation bias. "Oh, this young person who somehow hasn't heard my favorite song in the world happens to like it to??? I knew it had to be good".

Jhengsman, 1955, Flat6Driver and 2 others like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I don't care for reaction videos at all. I usually flag them as "Don't Recommend This Channel" or at the very least "Not Interested".

But, they seem to have a significant audience so that's why people keep making them I suppose.

SRHmusic likes this.
  17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In this age and into the future of the selfie schtick and unboxing videos and such,

Reaction videos are an Eminence Front, it's a put-on.

Anytime you put a camera in front of someone knowingly, it changes their behavior.

My 2-€-£-¢

18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Personally, I just don’t really care about those videos. Total indifference. I certainly don’t seek them out, and I almost never click on a video that is “recommended” or “suggested” other than by someone I know. I am glad that some people have a positive take-away from them; if you don’t, then don’t watch them.

Me. I mean, it might have been playing in the background at some point in my life, but I wouldn’t know a Metallica tune (I had to google it to see who recorded it) if it came up and bit me in the... Nothing is as ubiquitous as you think it is.

DougM likes this.
  19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Touche.

Manual Slim likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Good point. I gotta get back to practice. Thanks.

Manual Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.