Re-wiring a speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by consumnfire1229, Dec 30, 2016.

1. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

In a previous thread, I asked questions which speaker cabinet would be best for a Peavey Classic 30. The classic 30 requires a minimum impedance of 16 ohms. 16 ohms is not as common as 4 and 8 ohm cabinets, so I am having trouble finding an affordable option. Understanding I get what I pay for, at this time in my life, I'm just trying to save some money. I'm pondering the idea of purchasing a used 410 or 412 cabinet and re-wire the speakers in series to obtain the minimum impedance of 16 ohms. Has anyone had experience doing this very thing or would you recommend against this idea? Thanks!

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

The wiring depends on the impedance of the speakers. I have two 8ohm speakers in my AC30 wired in parallel for a 16ohm load. I also have a 2x12 extension with two 16ohm speakers wired in series also for a 16ohm load. I prefer 16ohms with Vox amps.

Unadan likes this.
  3. consumnfire1229

From what I have researched, it appears to me that I could take 4, 4 ohm speakers wired in series to obtain 16 ohms total impedance. Or 2, 8 ohm speakers in series. Is this not accurate?

4. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

Yes, thats correct. The inexpensive way to do it would just be a single 12 inch speaker. You could build that cabinet.
    The way a 4x12 or 4x10 cabinet is typically wired is "Series/Parallel"
    Marshall 4x12's are usually wired this way. 4 16 ohm speakers with each pair wired in series (32 ohm load) and the two pairs wired in parallel (two 32 ohm loads in parallel presents a 16 ohm total load)

moosie likes this.
  5. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Yes that's accurate. You left out the third option: one 16 ohm speaker.

You don't have to buy any particular format because of impedance. You can do single speaker, two speaker, or four speaker - in 10", 12", 15"... whatever you want.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Unadan likes this.
  7. consumnfire1229

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

This and bicycle gearing ratio spread sheets are a must for me. ;) Spoke length calculators too, but I use online ones for that. Data bases of parts is always more updated. ;)

I have a 210/212 4 speaker cab I put 2)4 ohms and 2)16s in. Could never have done that without making a mistake without that spread sheet.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Two eight ohm speakers in parallel is four ohms, and two sixteen ohm speakers wired in series would be 32 ohms.

moosie and Deaf Eddie like this.
  10. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

HAIRSPLITTER ;)

moosie likes this.
  11. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I have a 2x12 Avatar cab with two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel (4 ohm cab). The cab just uses the clip on connectors attached to the +/- of the speaker tabs. Would it be very easy to rewire the cab to series and turn it into a 16ohm cab?

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Go to Celestion or one of the other speaker manufacturer websites and most have wiring diagrams showing what you can and can't get based on the impedance of the speakers. Your question will be answered AND you can print a drawing of the wiring.

13. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

"I have a 2x12 Avatar cab with two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel (4 ohm cab). The cab just uses the clip on connectors attached to the +/- of the speaker tabs. Would it be very easy to rewire the cab to series and turn it into a 16ohm cab?"

YES. Disconnect the two jumpers between the two speakers, and you should have ONE speaker connected to the output jack, the other disconnected.

Disconnect the clip that is connected to ground on the output jack from the connected speaker, and connect it instead to the ground of the of the disconnected speaker. Use one of the jumpers you removed to connect the HOT of that speaker to the ground of the other speaker.

series.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.