re Quilter 101 Reverb

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I played with some friends outside Sat, just having some fun, first time in front of some real people since you know what started. The weather was perfect.
I have a Quilter 101 Reverb amp, a homemade 1-12 semi open back cabinet with a WGS ET65 (also have another same size cab with an Eminence 10" Ragin Cajun that I leave at our rehearsal space, it sounds great too, one day I'll have to try using both cabs)
I had the gain about noon, limiter about 3, mids boosted a bit , a touch of reverb. I started out with the output at noon which is labeled 10 watts and it was too loud! So I backed that down a bit.
I do have a Greenchild boost pedal that I leave on all the time.
It sounded great, my buddy has a Quilter Pro Block with the Block Dock 1-12 cab, not sure which speaker, that's a 200 watt amp, he didn't have his up much at all, my 101 R kept up just fine, he really liked how it sounded.

I LOVE tube amps but this little 2 lb amp is pretty amazing, it works so good with pedals, so easy to transport, I put the head in my bag with my cables, and it just sounds consistently good at any volume.
Will I have a tube amp again? maybe but I don't NEED to really. And tube prices for new stuff are getting up there,I was looking at an email from a retailer today $25 a pop for 12AX7 or 12AT7s, power tubes are a lot more.
(I still have a stash of older tubes)

My buddy has been gigging with his Quilter amps MicroPro or Problock for years now and he has like me owned a lot of really nice tube amps, the Quilters just work and are easy and consistent.
Sometimes he goes direct into the PA for small quiet gigs and it still sounds great.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have some very foo-foo tube amps; some of which are real-deal vintage gems.

But the amp I drag out to jams and open mics is the Quilter Aviator Gold 8. It's a small amp, between the sizes of a Fender Champ and a Princeton. It makes killer clean and filthy tones, it gets ear-bleeding loud, and at 25 lbs and 200 watts, it's the ideal portable amp for me.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd like to hear / play through an Aviator sometime, you don't see too many of them around or for sale, guess the owners like them and keep them.
I had a Quilter MP combo, it had a lot of good sounds but really was more than I needed. I also played through a Quilter Interblock 45 which is a very cool small pedal size amp. And I had a Tone Block 202, which is also a great amp, I just didn't need that much power. The 101 Reverb is great for my needs. I am thinking about building a 1-15 cabinet at some point.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
That ET65 speaker is rated at about 99.5db, but I think that might be underrated.
Mine *seems* louder than that.

Go with what works and don't look back.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I’m in, but with the non-reverb 101. I use the Fender SC112 (1x12) cab and it sounds pretty good to me.
39AA1F78-4199-4955-94BD-79BC6DA6D2F0.jpeg

I had a ProBlock 200 but found I like the sound of the 101 better. Not sure what it was.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
That ET65 speaker is rated at about 99.5db, but I think that might be underrated.
Mine *seems* louder than that.

Go with what works and don't look back.
The ET65 sounds great as does my other cabinet with an Eminence Ragin Cajun 10", which is also a loud efficient speaker.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m in, but with the non-reverb 101. I use the Fender SC112 (1x12) cab and it sounds pretty good to me.
View attachment 981937
I had a ProBlock 200 but found I like the sound of the 101 better. Not sure what it was.
Those sound good too but I just prefer the more conventional style EQ controls and I believe that Quilter voiced the 101R to be more like a BF Fender tone but with more available mids. I haven't heard a bad sounding Quilter amp yet!

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I gigged a Quilter Interbass and a Flint (in its loop) direct to the PA. Worked just fine.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have some very foo-foo tube amps; some of which are real-deal vintage gems.

But the amp I drag out to jams and open mics is the Quilter Aviator Gold 8. It's a small amp, between the sizes of a Fender Champ and a Princeton. It makes killer clean and filthy tones, it gets ear-bleeding loud, and at 25 lbs and 200 watts, it's the ideal portable amp for me.
That’s where I’m at, but I’m completely tubeless as of 3 months ago when I sold my Z-Lux, and I don’t really miss it because I never gigged with it anyway.

I’m the OP’s buddy (Hey Ringo) and can tell you that both our amps sounded phenomenal last Saturday. I’m getting together with him again and I’m gonna compare our cabs. I have the 12” Quilter HD 300 watt cab which sounds great, but his homemade cab sounded killer! Maybe it was the amp? A/B-ing those gems is the only way to know for sure. I have a MicroPro as well but it stays at a rehearsal studio about 20 miles away. I usually take the Pro Bock to gigs. Sounds consistently great to me.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
They’re great to have, if for nothing else as a lightweight backup that fits in your gig bag.

I’m living dangerously without a backup right now, but I liked my 101 and I could see myself getting one again. Just plain good affordable and easily transportable tone.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My "go-to" is a Tone Block 201 through a large 1x12 with a Celestion BN12-300S and a DV Mark Jazz 2x8. An excellent (and pedal friendly) rig.

I have a number of tube amps I flirt with (and swapped two for two different ones this week), but I always end up back at the Quilter. My plan is to lay in tubes for one tube change in each of these amps...and when the tubes are gone, the amps go out for sale/trade.

In the meantime, I'm looking hard at the Aviator Mach III as the end all.

WireLine

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah man…I’ve been using an original US made 101 pushing a ET90, and have been so pleased as to leave custom built heads and such at home. Put it on surf mode, tweak the knobs slightly for whatever guitar I’m using, and go.

It’s odd, but I really don’t miss having reverb…got it on the various pedal boards but rarely use it with this amp

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Picked up a Micro Block 45 a week or so ago, with an eye toward setting up a backup for my Vibrolux Reverb. If the VR craps out, I'll plug the Micro Block into the VR's speakers. To get more control over the bass and treble, and to get reverb and tremolo, I'm running a Boss FDR-1 pedal in front of the Micro Block. I ran it through a 2x10 cab loaded with JBL K110s, and the sound was, to put it mildly, superb. It all fits into a pistol case, which will reside in my gig suitcase that holds my mixer, guitar synth, harmonizer, mic case and cables. I'll probably never have to use it, but it's there if necessary.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Not a 101 but saw a cool Quilter incident last night.

Went to see Covet (Yvette Young). Mid way through their set, her AC30 died. She called to an opening act to borrow an amp. They brought up a Quilter ToneBlock (yellow stripes on top) and some homemade lookin cab, and she was back in business. Whole swap took probably 5 min. She just went with whatever random settings. It sounded great. Different from the AC30 but after a song, ya could not recall that.

Before with the AC30:
FF71AC8A-539E-4F70-B0BE-549FBB045FA3.jpeg

After with the Quilter:
6F6C3160-658D-48C4-8BCC-D1A64924D306.jpeg

The Quilter sounded really good. The sound in that place was awesome too, we could hear everything well.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Picked up a Micro Block 45 a week or so ago, with an eye toward setting up a backup for my Vibrolux Reverb. If the VR craps out, I'll plug the Micro Block into the VR's speakers. To get more control over the bass and treble, and to get reverb and tremolo, I'm running a Boss FDR-1 pedal in front of the Micro Block. I ran it through a 2x10 cab loaded with JBL K110s, and the sound was, to put it mildly, superb. It all fits into a pistol case, which will reside in my gig suitcase that holds my mixer, guitar synth, harmonizer, mic case and cables. I'll probably never have to use it, but it's there if necessary.

I did some testing by putting both my Joyo AC Tone and AS (separately) with a separate reverb pedal directly in front of the MB45. I was surprised at how good it sounded (when dialed in well) and how quiet it was. I tend toward clean tones, so that might not work for anyone else..