RE: Pedalboard pics post and the use of DL4's

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bobbyk, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

Looking through the pics of your pedal boards I see quite a few Line 6 DL4's. I've had a love/hate relationship with this particular pedal for a long time (presently I don't have one.) I loved what it could do and having the option of 4 easily accessible delay settings. I hated what it did to my tone. It seem to "thin out" my sound dramatically. DId I have two bad DL4's? Do you DL4 users not have the same problem?

2. manfesto

manfesto Tele-Meister

Well, the DL-4 can be set to be true-bypass or buffered-bypass (so that when you step off of it, your delays trail off). How was yours set?

3. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

For live playing, its just a great tool that gets the job done.
    I never cared if the drunks thought my tone was thinner.

4. modernartmuseum

modernartmuseum TDPRI Member

I love my DL4

Auto Volume is siiicccckkkk

5. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

I own a DL-4. I got it for Christmas 1999. It seemed so great. However, I was always tweaking it, trying to figure out a way to get it to sound right. After a while, I realized that I just wasn't using it. Plus it was so big.

I pulled the pedal and got a DD-3, which is what I had before. I was surprised at how nice it worked. Of course, I missed the looper, and I missed the modulated delay, and I missed a few other things. I put the DL-4 back in the chain. After a while, the DD-3 seemed redundant. Even though it was a better single use unit, the DL-4 just did a lot more.

So yeah, not perfect, but convenient. This is the eternal quest of us guitarists...

6. blkhrs7

blkhrs7 Tele-Meister

When I set up at home and/or record, my rig sounds great with the DL4. I have only gigged with it once and at the gig, it seemed like I couldn't quite get the tone set right . It did seem to be too bright and thin. I got the impression that I just needed to spend a little more time with the bass/treble settings. It's too nice of a piece for me to get rid of it.

7. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

The other thing is that it seems like the mix knob is a bit off. By the time I've gotten the repeat level up high enough, it seems like the dry level has gone down too much.

Ben

8. rondillonmusic

rondillonmusic Tele-Meister

I hated my DL4. Much happier when I sold it and got a DD20.....then I was even happier when I sold that for a Nova Delay

9. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Get it modded by Keeley.
    Will improve the audio side of things quite a bit.

10. 1charger69

1charger69 Tele-Meister

i liked the pedal a lot ..till it shi!t the bed at a gig.....its VERY finiky to voltage fluctuations..any variance and the whole pedal goes bananas..useless...im sure you guys know that some these clubs we play dont have the best electrical capabitities...it can be the BEST sounding pedal in the world..but if dont pull its weight..its no good to me...I took it back and im back to my DD6 and Carbon Copy..great como!......now im waitin for Way Huge to RI that Aqua Puss and im all set!!:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.