Re-necked Cunetto.

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Ron Garson, May 17, 2015.

1. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm just putting this up out of interest to see what folks think...if anything.
    I have a Cunetto era Nocaster from 1998. I have owned it now for about 15 years, and it has been one of the best Teles I've owned. However, it came to pass that the original, very flamey, neck went south...and Fender Custom Shop made a new neck for it last year. The replacement neck is not exactly like the original, as it is chunkier, straight grained. The original was a little slimmer. The original had the etched logo on the back of the headstock, the new one a decal.
    The guitar still plays, and sounds, great, and is lovely to play, but I wonder if it would still be considered a "Cunetto."

Here's a recent pic with the new neck.

[​IMG]

2. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Good question. Stating the obvious it is a "Cunetto" with a replaced neck.As I recall many if not all original Cunetto necks were highly figured often being birdseye. Even though it's a great player seems it's lost a little bit of something with the replacement.

3. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

Looks like a nice guitar. Out of interest, what do you mean when you say the neck "went south"? Did it get an incurable twist or something, or get broken?

4. marivor58

marivor58 TDPRI Member

Trigger's Broom.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Without the wood stamp on the headstock it definitely reduces it's value it is what made them so unique, i would suggest keeping a eye out on ebay for a replacement although they are so rare to find a parted out Cunetto you would probably have more chance of finding hen's teeth

6. Ron Garson

The neck developed a ski-jump at the top end, and a bit of a hump around the third fret. I had it professionally re-fretted and the frets dressed to alleviate this and it was OK for a while, but then the problem arose again, so it was time to do something else.

Planing the neck, and another re-fret...and re-finishing "might" have fixed it, but there's no guarantee that it would...and the cost of that work is pretty expensive, plus you've then got a re-finished neck...

7. pdidy

pdidy NEW MEMBER!

I have heard that highly figured necks are not the way to go, or they are not as stable Very plain looking maple or even grained quarter sawn brazillian rosewood is what luthiers look for.

8. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Ron's wasn't the only one. I bought a Cunetto Nocaster minus the neck from a guy who's guitar did the same thing. I kept it a while waiting for a suitable neck but ten years ago they were hard to find, so I sold it on....got £900 for just the body and hardware...which was pretty good back then. There's a good reason why Tom Anderson doesn't do figured necks anymore!

9. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Still have the original neck?

10. Ron Garson

No, I don't have the original neck. If Fender replaces a neck, they keep the old one.

11. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

This is what stops me from paying the £3K they now want for a Cunetto Relic Nocaster.

In fact, these days, I'd opt for an early Time Machine Nocaster with a birdseye maple neck - historically more accurate than a Cunetto and that deeper U shape neck would be more stable.

Thanks,

12. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Trust me, they are good guitars but not worth the £3k plus you see hopeful ebayers asking form them...unless you are a collector who just has to have one. Sold mine off one by one....lord knows why I had seven of them...lol.

13. Ron Garson

Very interesting, Masterbuilt. I remember you were a keen supporter! :)

14. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

I still am Ron but not at the silly prices. Of the dozens I owned (Nocasters, Strats and a Tele) the most paid was £1800 for the 1995. The least was £1000 from a dealer who really didn't know what they had when the Dollar rate was more favourable. The ones I bought new were in the £1500 to £1700 price range. Thats where non masterbuilt Fender should be.

15. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I remember these Cunettos were £2,500 new in the UK in 1996.

The cheapest I've seen used was £1100 (I'm still kicking myself for NOT jumping on it!) from a guy who thought a Nocaster was a Nocaster, and the dearest was £4K.

Maybe one day I'll snag a Cunetto, but not at today's prices...

16. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

The first one I bought new was a 96 Nocaster from Peter Cooks at £1650. Then I found the actual Guitarist magazine review Strat for sale new at Sounds Great for £1600.

17. dimenjj

dimenjj Tele-Meister

I had an early Nocaster and the same thing happen to me. Except mine was a Fleming made one. I sold it as is and of course I informed the buyer that there was a neck problem. That's when I decided not to buy another CS Fender tele. I do have a CS Strat that is perfect. But I love teles and Esquires. So I got some photos of Jeff Becks famous Esquire, and built my own !!!!!!
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437776506.560042.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.