Re-fret from Original Frets on 1953 Esquire

teleboli

Tele-Meister
Hi all.

I've just aquired a '53 blackguard Esquire. All original except the refin and one tuner.

The original frets are playable but in need of replacement.

I don't want to change the sound of the guitar too much because it's great.

I'm thinking something narrow and tall. Maybe Jescar 47095 ?

Any experience with this with good results.

Thanks

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
If you don't want to change it request frets are worked with the same profile on top. Some frets have an aggressive U/V shape, others (often old Gibsons) have a flatter profile. IMO, changing that can change the feel of a guitar. Some people are stubborn and only do it the way Stew Mac said to do in an old book which is a surface with little contact. There's a theory that it improves intonation but I've pitch mapped many guitars and found that to be totally false, flatter frets when done properly give more surface contact and that's how frets were for ages...no plinkiness.

An old esquire is probably going to have flatter frets so just tell the tech "I want the same exact fret/profile but a bit taller."

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’d agree narrow tall.
I can’t say which wire is what width but you really want to fit the new frets right into the unlacquered strip of board so no sanding or spraying is needed and it’s visually undetectable.

Some would say duplicate the wire, I just like taller and it will last more years too.

teleboli

Tele-Meister
Well, I've officially bonded with this guitar and will be keeping it.

In fact I'm investing in a refinish and an era correct neck pickup.

If anyone knows of a 52,53,54 real neck pickup please advise.

Sorry, I tried to upload a pic but can't do it.

Cjteleforum

TDPRI Member
Back then Fender had a special way of installing frets, which was to slide them in sideways with a specially designed machine, instead of hammering them in from the top, which is usual. With an instrument that valuable it might be worth it to find a luthier who knows about that process and can replicate it.

teleboli

Tele-Meister
Back then Fender had a special way of installing frets, which was to slide them in sideways with a specially designed machine, instead of hammering them in from the top, which is usual. With an instrument that valuable it might be worth it to find a luthier who knows about that process and can replicate it.
Yes, actually Gord Miller just mentioned that to me yesterday as we discussed a refin and frets. The guy he has do his vintage Fender re-frets removes and installs from the side so as to not disturb the wood.

I ordered a set of Gotoh vintage style tuners for the guitar last night just for optimal tuning.

The only other thing is a neck pickup. The original bridge pickup is soooooo authoritative it just makes the neck position sound weak and muddy. It's going to take something with extreme clarity and volume to balance anywhere near close to that original bridge pickup.

Cjteleforum

TDPRI Member
Yes, actually Gord Miller just mentioned that to me yesterday as we discussed a refin and frets. The guy he has do his vintage Fender re-frets removes and installs from the side so as to not disturb the wood.

I ordered a set of Gotoh vintage style tuners for the guitar last night just for optimal tuning.

The only other thing is a neck pickup. The original bridge pickup is soooooo authoritative it just makes the neck position sound weak and muddy. It's going to take something with extreme clarity and volume to balance anywhere near close to that original bridge pickup.

Well, phenolic Esquire style pickguards are available...

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
and an era correct neck pickup.

First of all, congrats on your aquisition! Wow man. Would love to see some pics! As to this statement, I'm confused. We are talking about an Esquire correct? Was it modded at some point to accept a neck pickup?

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted

That is why I would not install a period correct neck pickup with a traditional brass cover.

teleboli

Tele-Meister
First of all, congrats on your aquisition! Wow man. Would love to see some pics! As to this statement, I'm confused. We are talking about an Esquire correct? Was it modded at some point to accept a neck pickup?
Thank you.
Yes I was not thrilled with the Esquire wiring options (just me) and had my tech tele it. I had a real 1951 Nocaster wiring harness I'd been saving and we installed that as well as a modern neck pickup. It was already routed from factory with a neck route so I don't consider it a mod as such, just far more usable (for me).

I'd love to post a pic but can't figure out how.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you.
Yes I was not thrilled with the Esquire wiring options (just me) and had my tech tele it. I had a real 1951 Nocaster wiring harness I'd been saving and we installed that as well as a modern neck pickup. It was already routed from factory with a neck route so I don't consider it a mod as such, just far more usable (for me).

Have the pics on your device.
When writing a post click "Upload a File" to the lower right.
Select the file(s).
Add them to your post.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

At the bottom of the screen you'll see "Upload file". If you have pics on your PC etc. when you click that button it will pop up the explorer window and then you can upload a pic. You can then choose whether to upload it as a thumbnail (my personal choice cause it's smaller on the screen and people can click on it to blow it up) or you can full image it. Hope this helps! Kinda cool that it came factory with the neck route!

teleboli

Tele-Meister
That is why I would not install a period correct neck pickup with a traditional brass cover.
I agree. After some additional thought and consultation with others I think I'll be ultimately disappointed with a period correct neck pickup.

If it sounded like this example I'd be quite pleased. Although they point out it's the original bridge pickup they make no mention of the neck pickup, which has me thinking it's not original. But what is it. I might call them and see if they remember lol

TONE CHECK: Vintage 1953 Fender Telecaster Demo | No Talking - YouTube

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

If you haven't already, I would suggest spending more time balancing the pickups you have. If raising the neck doesn't help, try lowering the bridge. Also you may want to consider hitting your switch with some contact cleaner and inspecting the solder joints.

teleboli

Tele-Meister
IMG_3252.jpg

Here we go.

Thanks to Telekarster's help here she is in all her naked gloryness.