1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Re-amping Guitars

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by matman14, Feb 19, 2021.

1. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

One of my favorite things to do is re amping guitars. So much opportunity to get the perfect sound

Today I'm using this:
    [​IMG]

Into this:
    [​IMG]

Through this:
    [​IMG]

Captured by this:
    [​IMG]

Into this patched together "channel strip"
    [​IMG]

Time flies when you're having fun!

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

I use re-amping a lot. Great to put Software synths or Rhodes piano, and especially Hammond organs through a guitar amp.
    And then there's drums, and vocals ...

That's a cool-looking signal chain you've got there, @matman14 ;)

FortyEight and matman14 like this.
  3. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Yeah, that will really put some life into VST instruments that can be lacking. Nothing beats actual voltages, and real moving air.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    fretWalkr and Norris Vulcan like this.
  4. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Today's setup is a little different

Still using the champ clone. This time straight in with the volume cranked almost all the way up, to get it to roar.

Using the venerable SM57 about an inch below the speaker dust cap (that's where it sounded best)
    [​IMG]

Through an all GAP chain, with the LA3A just kissing about 2 dB of gain reduction and the EQ shelving about 3 dB cornered at 55Hz and a small cut centered at 280 Hz. That got the track to behave itself nicely with the rest of the session.[​IMG]

This time I wanted some room ambiance too so I put up an LDC about 8 feet out with some gobos so as not to get too much wall reflection.
    [​IMG]

Fun times!

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Can we hear the results any time soon?

Looks like a nice signal chain!

matman14 likes this.
  6. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Once the songs, albums, singles are released! Although by then, a lot of the demos we're working on will have been re-tracked in a bigger studio. But sometimes a few of my bits make it in, which is why it's worth taking the time to get it right even in the early stages.

It's not my music so the labels own the masters (or in one case the band does), the songwriters own the rights and my contracts preclude me from sharing any pre-release audio.

Oxidao likes this.
  7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Bummer!

drewg likes this.
  8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure if counts as full-on re-amping, as I'm using a Strymon Iridium rather than actual miked-up amp in a room, but there is a Radial Reamp box involved, at least!

[​IMG]

Close-up of the pedals:

[​IMG]

Everything is going out of, and back into the patchbay on the left-hand side of the desk, out of shot.

loopfinding, studio and matman14 like this.
  9. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

That's a nice setup and I'd call it reamping.
    How's the Iridium?

10. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I really like it. It adds an energy to the guitar parts that seems to be missing from amp modelling plugins like Overloud's TH-3 and TH-U. I've also run soft synths to it to give them a vibe. If you solo the Iridium with nothing playing, you'll hear a fair amount of amp hiss, but nobody listens to guitar amps soloed. Fortunately, that's all easy to clean up with DAW muting and/or gate plugins.

11. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Strymon make some good stuff. While it's still digital, they're throwing enough sharc DSP power to run about 20 Uad plugins to do just one thing in a lot of their pedals.
    I think it makes a difference.

12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

So keyboard /synths are OK in guitar amps? I just did one through my bass amp on the last song I did cuz I wasn't sure if it would hurt my guitar amp speaker. LOL. I was thinking a guitar amp would be a better thing though..... I was using the first setting on the "Electric Piano" on my cheap Casio. :)

13. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Sure,
    You may need a re-amp box to get the proper signal grounding in the amp, balanced low impedance out of a keyboard to what the amp is expecting and watch the gain staging because a keyboard is general putting out line level and above vs the levels a guitar typically gives, it all depends on what you want to do to the sound.
    But it can be a great way to liven up keyboard or created in the computer sounds.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, I figured going through bass amp would give it some more color. Well, there were two parts to my thinking.

First is the one time I tried going directly from the keyboard into the DAW, it gave me a lot of underlying junk. I actually had this happen on my little vox amp when using the 1/4" line out also. So right now my perspective of going out from a 1/4" to the interface has not been good. I mean it didn't like ruin the track but I'm not sure if that ever went completely away. I did the high pass and also the clean up thingy that audacity has. The next time I did keys I actually mic'd the little speakers on the casio and it was a cleaner better sound.

But then I figured if I go into my bass amp and use the XLR out into the interface that would work. And this is definitely cleaner. I still think there was some low level junk but nearly as much as going straight in. I might actually try to mic the amp next time instead of going direct from the XLR. I will have to mic if I use the guitar amp.

But yeah, the other thought is that I can put on more affects to the keys with a guitar amp. Or bass amp. But moreseo the guitar amp. And then there's less low end to high pass out. A little bit of gain on the 60's electric piano setting may sound cool. Or even just on the a clean piano. Or whatever effect I want to try..... It's like my mind went wowz. I already don't like going through all the different sounds on the keyboard but I've done it a few times to see.....

I'm not really a keyboard player but I can add some stuff to a song that I think makes it interesting. I actually did a line all the way through my last song. It's very simple and subdued but I think adds to the song. My guitars are very clean and trebly on that song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.