1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

rcole_sooner's 2012 Challenge Build Thread-- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by rcole_sooner, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Man, that is one gorgeous guitar! I am definately a fan of Spalt. GREAT JOB!

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Guitar Parts Resource sells complete wiring kits, CTS pots, orange drop caps, switches & jacks for 54$, so I ain't buying some of these prices. Here is the pots page LINK. They've never done me wrong yet (no affiliation) and the freight is reasonable ;)

Dave

Damn nice build BTW :)

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, BR06623 and CrazyDave911.

I decided to hold off on messing with the wiring until next week. I got a source for some reasonably priced CTS 500K TVT (True Volume Taper?) pots. I should have 'em in a few days. I'm going to wait until I get them to mess with the wiring again.

RS Super Pots and Jensen or Bumblebee caps might be worth a little more that $50, but I can't justify $100+. Last year I grabbed 2 sets off ebay, for $100 total. I put one set in last years TDPRI build. I sounded good and the volume controls were smooth. I ain't sure the ones I got had the Super Pots, but they dang sure are better than these Allparts CTS pots.

I used to just buy $25 alpha pot and ceramic cap wiring kits. Heck, they worked pretty good. The problem is I've been reading forum posts and wanted to get the "good" stuff.

Now I've heard about 10% and 20% audio taper, stacked taper, bourn pots, and a whole bunch of new info to process.

We'll see what is up with these TVT pots I'm getting. They are quite a bit less than the RS Super Pots.

4. rcole_sooner

While playing the guitar, I've noticed a low fret. I leveled the frets, but I must have over crowned one. I did not want to level all the others down, so I decided to replace the one fret.

Here is a blurry pic of the pulled fret wire. Nice clear pic of the carpet. Those filed down snippers are the way to pull frets. It popped right out.
    [​IMG]

Here is the new fretwire all radiused and ready. The old wire came out easy (no glue used), and the slot is clean.
    [​IMG]

I pressed in the new wire, and it seems to hold well. I checked it with a credit card (the ol' rocker trick) and it was good to go as is.
    [​IMG]

All trimmed, filed, and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

I'm still waiting on the new electronics, but I will post an update about them, when they get here.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  5. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

That fingerboard looks so comfortable and the inlays really complement the board.

6. rcole_sooner

Oh, I almost forgot. While I had the neck off, I also decided since I already had one shim, that another one would be even better. :D

Since the bridge was slightly off, figured I'd put that aluminum shim I did not use under the neck, at the end of the neck. This brings it into almost perfect intonation. I didn't even need to drill new holes in the neck. And the over hang fretboard hides it nicely.
    [​IMG]

7. rcole_sooner

Thanks, and it really is comfortable. The neck building keeps getting better and better. This is probably the best one yet.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk TDPRI Member

Just thought I'd drop in here and say "hi!"

It's a real fine looking build you've got going here, Russell. I love that top, and I've always wanted a Tele with an ABR, myself.

9. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

Great looking build. The spalted is top notch!

10. rcole_sooner

I got the final coats of Tru Oil put on.
    [​IMG]

Wait!!! What???!!!!!?????

:lol:

Here is the story.

I was thinking about it while waiting for the new pots to arrive, and I decided I need to work on the finish a little. So, while I had the guts unsoldered I would take it all apart and ... well more on that, in a little bit.

11. rcole_sooner

Here is what came in the mail. A nice package from ReWind Electric. Good prices, good products, and a great guy to deal with. These should solve my audio taper issue. Oh, yeah, I only need 2 of these, for this project, but I've got plans for the others.
    [​IMG]

While changing electronics, why not make a pup change? I used Gibson 490T/490R pups, but I have other choices. I was saving these, for a "real" guitar, but this one is turning out pretty nice, so I'm gonna pop one of these sets in. So, which will it be SD JB/Jazz combo or the Slash pups? I am leaning towards the JB/Jazz combo.
    [​IMG]

Next, more on the finish re-work.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  12. rcole_sooner

I didn't really know what to do with the TO finish. I chickened out on the wet sanding with TO, as I thought I might need way more time, than I had.

I decided to quickly wet sand and polish the TO like lacquer. I did some very light wet sanding with 500 and 1000 grit. And while I was on the back of the headstock. Ooops, I started sanding away the decal.
    [​IMG]

I noticed some other places were very thin and maybe sanded through. So, I put on 2 more thin coats of TO. The decal was not too far gone, so I just left it. That pic is with the first 2 TO re-coats. I did 2 more (4 total) on the back of the headstock and the top.

It is a lot smoother than it was.

I also did one final leveling of the fretboard. While doing so, I notice that the TO had worn away from playing already. So, I removed all the TO, from the front of the fretboard and applied a Teak Oil finish.

Reassembly will begin tomorrow. That is the plan.

13. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

mmmm, I say jb/jazz combo. Great classic sound

14. rcole_sooner

The JB/Jazz combo it is.

[​IMG]

But it was not a great night. The fact I am posting at 12:30, is a testament to the troubles I've had.

First problem was with the switch. I guess some TO got in the control holes and shrunk them. The switch would not go all the way in. When I tried to pull it back out, I only got half a switch. Not having another one handy, I "fixed" that one. Basically just peened the top back on.

Second problem was my pedalboard. It took me a while to figure that one out. I thought the SD pups were bad (it couldn't be the wiring again, and it was not). I tried another guitar with the same results. So I bypassed my pedalboard, and straight into the amp sounded great. I'll worry about the pedalboard later.

Third problem was I pushed the back of a pot out putting a knob on. I didn't push hard, or so I thought. I fixed that. Just put it back together and bent the tabs back down. Then I squeezed that split shaft together slightly and the knob fit much easier.

In the end it seems to be working, and have a smoother volume taper. But I am beat, and it is late. I'll get back on it in a day or 2. I got golf tomorrow and going out with the wife on Friday (dinner and a movie).

Oh, yeah, here is the new wiring.

[​IMG]

15. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Great choice on the Jazz/JB set. Nice clean and neat wiring job. I'm curious did you add that braided shielding or did they come stock that way? Hope ya have some nice weather for golf have fun! Really beautiful guitar rcole!

16. joaopazguitar

joaopazguitar Tele-Holic

RCole this is one superb looking guitar!
    One of the most classy guitars I've ever seen - I'm tempted to say the classiest! :)

You should do this for a living (or do you?)!

17. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good work. I had wiring problems with mine too, at least I thought I did. I would play, but the signal was terribly weak. I was at almost full volume and barely got anything. I thought it was the wiring, so I redid everything. Second go around, same thing. Then I realized that I had my BBE SonicStomp plugged in to my effects loop on my amp, but I didn't have any power going to the pedal. I unplugged it, and Voila!

Your wiring job looks nice and clean. Mine is more if a minefield of solder globs and trip wires :eek:

18. rcole_sooner

Thanks. I am hoping to get to crank them up after golf tonight.

The braided wire is from the switch.

The weather is looking sunny, but windy, which is normal, for OK.

Thank you, very much. I do not do it for a living, and if I stay lucky (i.e. stay employed) I won't have to. ;)

That is exactly what it turned out to be, something with my pedal board.

I've been trying to clean up my wiring. Some people's wiring is a work of art. I don't know if I can ever get there, but I am trying to at least get smooth lumps of solder. :lol:

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

lookin' really good rcole. great job. :)

20. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Gorgeous guitar! The wiring looks very good to me. Can't wait to hear this beauty!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.