Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by rcole_sooner, Mar 13, 2012.
That is one beautiful tele! Outstanding!
That is such a cool top, I always do a double take when I see it. The figuring makes it look arched or carved. Very nice.
Thanks for the wonderful compliments.
Today was all bailing wire and duct tape. I took the pile o' parts, and started puttin' 'em together in a fashion to resemble a guitar.
I skipped pics of fret levelin' and crowning. Once I got started I was done, and realized I didn't shoot any pics.
Next I tackled the problem of using a Gibson tune-a-matic bridge on a tele, with a flat neck pocket route. I thought, "How tall could they really be? All that everyone is sayin' about needin' an angled neck pocket can't be true.". Well, it is true. You will need an angled neck pocket, or a shim. I decided on a shim.
I started with a piece of aluminum (on the left) it was too big. The piece of tin (on the right), was just right.
Here is the neck pocket gap with the shim installed. Not too bad. (I guess I could've filled the pockets under the fret wires. If it weren't for these pics I'd never notice that stuff.)
And it got everything lined up, with a tiny bit of height adjustment left.
Tomorrow is going to be soldering up the electronics.
It is gettin' close.
Wow, really nice!
Nice TO job, RCole. Also glad to hear your sore throat's in check. I'm still hacking and wheezing--been on steroids for 5 days now, have had enuff of this spring cold crap!
I almost went with spalted maple instead of koa for my build. That's a beautiful finish!
Thanks for the kind words. I am likin' this one quite a bit.
R. Stratenstein, I am just now gettin' over the cold thing. What is this, the 3rd week? A lot of people have it, but think it is allergies. In fact, it may be a mix of things. I'm not sure it was one single bug. It had like 3 distinct phases. I'm hoping this is it, and I can get back to normal.
I got off work, mowed the lawn (2.5 acres), and weedeated the ditches, since they are too wet to mow. Cleaned my fish tank, which is a Monday activity. And finally, after all my chores, I got to work on the guitar.
I got the wiring in. I am gonna have to double check the wiring or my pot types. The volume is all or nothing. Other than that it worked good enough, for a test drive. I didn't check intonation, but it tuned up and sounded decent.
Here is a parting shot, for now. I found some control knobs with abalone to match the fret markers, and I thought they were subtle enough. I still gotta get some control cavity covers made up.
Oooooooh, love the spalt!
Love it. Great looking guitar - the grain looks excellent.
Gorgeous! I really like the black hardware with the spalt.
Looks great !
Came out nice despite your best efforts..
LOL! This is the most true comment yet.
Looking lovely....now it's "video time" (cue "Hammer Time" music)
Yeah, I'm wanting to work it into the Rocksmith thing, but I don't want the simulated-processed-sound be a distraction. I'm thinking I can do 2 videos, and split the output. One video will be me playing along to a Rocksmith song. The other will be the same playing, but ran into a relatively clean amp setup.
In the end, I'll probably just strum some chords, and say, "This is the bridge pickup...This is the neck pickup.". We shall see.
This weeks Rocksmith challenge song, is a finger-fumbler for me. It is actually a pretty clean sound guitar, and a catchy song, the Cribs - We Share the Same Skies. That is what I will shoot for, but we got a few weeks, so it may be another challenge song. Either way, I'm looking to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Great job. I love naked tele's (w/o pickguards) when the wood has soul. Yours definitely does.