RC Booster BEFORE the amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by riachuelo, May 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

I play in a band in which the other guitarist has an RC booster pedal, by Xotic Effects. It always sounded good in terms of tone, but the boost itself seemed rather weak. Then one day someone suggested putting it after the amp, through the send / return. Amazing difference! It actually boosts with that setup! Any reason why it would work there but not between the guitar and the amp? As far as I know, there are no switches or anything on the pedal that would affect that.... Any advice much appreciated; we gig in various places and don't always have access to amps with a send / return capability. Thanks.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boost before the preamp means more gain, boost after the preamp means more volume. If the amp is squeaky clean, boost should increase volume in either scenario. If the amp is overdriving, boost will increase saturation rather than volume.

3. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Makes sense. But the difference is vast. Was wondering if there were more to it than that. Thanks!

4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Big faucet is always louder than Little faucet.

Before the preamp
    = #1 Big faucet into #2 Little faucet.

After the preamp
    = #1 Little faucet into #2 Big faucet.

The #2 faucet determines how loud it's going to be.

No matter how loud Big faucet is, it's going to limited by Little faucet.

Big faucet is always louder than Little faucet.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    riachuelo likes this.
  5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

What amp are using for this?
    Different amps are going to behave differently - both on the front end AND in the effects loop.

(plus what was already said above)

riachuelo likes this.
  6. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Thanks. Normally it's a pretty powerful Marshall head, but I don't exactly know which one (he plays it... not me!). But that, of course, makes sense.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The earlier posts are correct. I bet the Marshall is running with a fair amount of gain already. If it were set to be running super clean (for a Marshall, anyway) then you would get a much bigger boost effect from the pedal even when plugged into the front of the amp. It also might be affected by the guitar pickups. If the guitar has weak pickups that don't hit the amp pre-amp very hard then a boost pedal would increase volume a fair bit before the pre-amp became fully saturated. But if the guitar has hot pickups in it that are already pushing out a strong signal and loading up the amp's pre-amp stages then the addition of a boost would primarily increase gain (saturation/dirt), not overall volume.

I was looking at Jon Herington's rig on Premier Guitar's Rig Rundown. He likes to use an RC Boost pedal near the front of his signal chain for a simple purpose- as a single coil "compensator". He turns it on when he uses his Tele or Strat, and turns it off when using his humbucker guitars. The RC booster strengthens and fattens his signal from the weaker single coil pickups just enough so that he can keep the rest of his signal chain the same and have it react similarly to all of his guitars.

riachuelo likes this.
  8. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Excellent. I will pass all of this on. Great help, so thanks everyone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.