1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Razors!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jackal, Feb 1, 2014.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I purchase a bag or two of disposable razors a year for $12 each. I use each razor for at least two weeks then snap the cover on the blade, pitch it and grab another. When I shave it's deliberate and hurried. I don't cut myself, I don't miss a thing, there is no burn and it's over in around 60 seconds or so.

So just because someone chooses a more modern and streamlined approach I don't think it's fair to say they never "learnt" to shave. And really, I must offer an :rolleyes: of my own.

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

And it doesn't mean it doesn't. Are you saying that shavers that employ cartridges (you call 'em "carts" -- that's so cute!) are popular simply because they've been heavily marketed and people are lazy? Could it be?... Could it be that these innovations are superior, hence their overwhelming popularity?

3. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Gents, use whatever makes your face happy--period. If you like the multi-blade gizmos, then fine. Do what makes you comfortable. But from my point of view, I don't think there's been a MEANINGFUL improvement since the safety razor. I buy bulk purchases of safety razors (200+ counts). I usually shave in the shower, and the steam softens my skin, even negating the need for lather. I rarely need to lather my face. The thing is, that it's getting more and more difficult to source more traditional shaving products. F*** Schick, Gilette, etc. Of course, those guys manufacture and sell the very products I prefer, but the marketing is devoted to the sexier turbo charged, jazzed up, muti-blade, PRICIER craze.

4. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I use the 5 blade fusions, also... I've used about all of the popular types of carts over the years and none of them came close to the value I get from the fusion. I don't know why... I don't care... They are expensive/unit but not overall, all least for me.

In the 1st place I don't shave that much, and in the second, I get far more shaves/cart from these than any other I've ever tried.

Moreover, I don't like to spend gobs of time shaving, and with the fusion, I don't have to get all zen in prepping and executing...

I can just grab the thing out of the cabinet, put soap, conditioner or shaving cream on my face depending upon what is at hand or what I feel like using, and get a good, comfortable and fast shave... and be done with it...

That's what I want and the fusion gives it to me better than anything else.

5. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

No need to put words in my mouth - I never said people were lazy. I said cart design removes the need to bother to learn a basic skill. If DE razors were marketed the same way, we'd have some comparison, wouldn't we? As it is most men simply don't know there is another option besides plastic multi's and electrics.

But it really doesn't matter what I suggest to you. You're one of those people who has to be right about everything, clearly.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have to be right. It's just that in this case the truth and I happen to be in alignment. :D

BTW, the "plastic" multis you refer to are often mostly metal like the Fusion I use. The most important thing is they all have metal blades -- you know, the things that do the actual cutting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I am sure that the "everything old is new again" fads will continue, and just like cigars went crazy a few years ago, the old school shaving has made a nice comeback.

I just started up a few weeks ago, and as of now, I am enjoying the prep, lather, brush and bowl, and the DE safety blades from Dorko.

What I do find troubling is that you can get great deals on everything from the razors, blades, soaps, creams, mugs, brushes (just scored a sweet Semogue 1305 for $19) and you can get everything on Amazon for pretty much the price theses things were back when they were the only game in town. Razor blades for .12 cents apiece, as compared to $15 for 4 blades from Schick?? Yes please.

The troubling part comes from the store that just popped up in my local mall The Art of Shaving. Which takes the new fad, jumps on the bandwagon, and attempts to charge someone $399 for a brush, mug and a razor, claiming it is Heritage quality and something to pass along to the next generation...

Yeah, okay. Target carries a badger brush, soap cake (which is pretty decent actually) shaving mug and a stand for $20

If you are thinking of trying it out, this might be a smarter direction, especially if you grow weary from the extra 15 minutes of shave time.

I am enjoying it so far, appreciate the fact that one must treat the DE Feathers like a very ornery ninja, and look forward to shaving, which not everyone can say.

Once you start dropping $500 on a badger brush, with silver-tipped hairs, cultivated from only the bellyhairs of the Eastern Manchurian High-Mountain female badgers, on overcast days, and from live, sleeping badgers only, so the follicles are not shrunken during extraction... then you start to tread into the hipster dou**e waters, from which there is no escape.

Give it a shot, and enjoy your shave!
    ~syf

8. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I just got my low end, budget, Gillette style TTO, Weishi 9306-F DE razor yesterday.... with it were the blades (Personna), Proraso pre-shave and Pacific Shaving cream.

Hot water face prep, apply pre-shave cream, then apply shaving cream, shave... never wiping the blade, just rinse in hot water.... post shave clean up. No nicks, no razor burn.... and the best shave I've had in years! Total investment?? ~$30.00

By the way, the Chinese box for the Weishi is hilarious! Quotes from box:

"Inimitable rotating handle, Needlessly load and unload shaver."

"Weishi attend entirely luster."

"Nobleness: Made of Noble Cuprum metal and apply advanced computer product line proceeding superficies plating disposal."

:lol:

9. stealyerface

For those new to the experience, the lather is the key. Just because it looks like lather, and is bubbly like lather, does not mean it will protect your face, or slide the razor across nice and easy...

If you are using soap (puck of great smelling shave soap), load your brush with soap, and then get a different bowl than the soap is in. Start swirling the brush, and you will see lather.. keep going. If you keep on swirling, like for two minutes, you will get lather that is a cross between whipped cream and Greek yogurt. If you get there, you are good to go. Too many bubbles, and it is too thin, you will look like Scarface's ugly brother trying to drag that razor across your face.

It takes a little while, but you can actually "hear" when the lather is perfect, and you'll get those really slippery puffy peaks, and the glide is perfect.

Also, with a brush load-up on the puck for about twenty seconds, you will get enough in there to lather 3-4 times. First with that grain, then sideways, then against, then opposite sideways. (if you have time). Amazing how close you can get when you figure out which direction your beard actually grows.

Good luck, and when in doubt, keep swirling the brush, the transformation happens right before your eyes.

~syf

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

And decent soap don't cost a lot and last a very long time. The bowl method is a bit of a performance for most, and for me falls into the ritual for its own sake category. Load brush well and go straight to the face to work it up. Time saved, and you get a better feel for when it's right.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sir, we're talking about shaving here! What is this nonsense about time saved?...:lol:

13. Shiro

Shiro Tele-Meister

I agree. I shave 6 days a week and one fusion blade will shave comfortably for over a month. No nicks, scrapes, bleeding. Well worth it to me.

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm the same way. To each their own, but I could shave my entire body in the amount of time it takes to perform some of these rituals. I really don't understand shaving as a hobby or "art".

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

In the same way others will never understand tube rolling with 60 year old tech. Some like the experience. I just like a good shave for next to nothing, and the art can be left to others.

16. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

I switched to DE about a year ago. No regrets.

17. stealyerface

I was about to amend my post, as I tried this last night, and I agree. The bowl actually does not get you to the same consistency as straight to face, and lathering against your whiskers. Load the soap on the brush and start the swirl right under your jaw, on the side of the neck, and you can feel when you get it perfect.

~syf

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i use a 1953 Gillette Superspeed, and Feather or Kai blades.

If youre getting razor burn or cuts youre just not used to using sharp blades. Some razors are more heavy handed than others. Match the right blade with the right razor for your face.

DE is a lot cheaper in the long run. I spend about $50 a year now compared to $20 a month on disposables.

19. BillB1960

BillB1960 Tele-Meister

I shave my face 5 times a week and my head 3 times a week. 1 Fusion cartridge lasts me a month and I buy them in packs of 8 for $29 unless they're on sale so that's roughly $3.60 a month. Seems pretty cheap to me.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

a month. I can't get mine to 7 days. mach3

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.