1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Razors!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jackal, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

How in the world did we get suckered into 2,3,4, and even 5 blade razors? I had a rare attack of nostalgia recently and bought a double sided safety razor, shaving mug and brush. Faster, blades last longer, smoother, the razor will actually clean up after trimming sideburns and beard. Why did I ever change?

2. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

I just saw a commercial for a single blade safety razor and it did peak my interest. Gillette's are god awful expensive but I only shave once a week so I'm not too overwhelmed about it.

3. brownshoe

brownshoe Tele-Afflicted

I went back to DE's about a year ago and get a much better shave than the cartridge's, plus I save a ton of money.

To be fair, the old non-swiveling trac II's worked quite well when they were around...

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

im using a schick quattro...it has four blades...when i shaved with shaving cream the blade lasted me a week...i now use liquid soap (turns out one day i had to shave and there wasnt any shaving cream)

i shave 3 days a week...im using the same blade for close to a year if not more than a year...i dont get cut...i used to when the week was ending after i used shaving cream

sometimes there is three days of growth when i shave using the year old blade with liquid soap...and my beard is thick and coarse...i used to tear up blades...but not with liquid soap...give it a try and see if it makes a difference

background...with out a job i grew a beard because buying razors was expensive...one day i messed up trimming the beard and shaved it off only leaving hair on my chin...thats when i found out i was out of shaving cream and had to use liquid soap because it was the only thing available

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went back to wet shaving with a DE razor about a year ago. Use a brush and mug.
    I got this razor for my son on his birthday.
    From WW1.

Attached Files:

6. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

You should really try straight razor shaving
    Is amazing

7. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I've been using bar soap on my bald head and face for over three years and a BIC disposable. Since I have a beard, I only shave my neck area and my head. There is no doubt the blades last longer and the shave is closer than with shaving cream. You can also use hair conditioner. I tried that for a while on my head and it worked well. A lot of ladies use it to shave their legs.Went back to soap because it's easier. I can make a razor last for weeks and still get a close shave.

8. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's bold talk for a LITTLE fat man! Cute photo though.:cool:

10. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

When I went in the Army in 1960 they issued me a shaving brush. I never used it, but I still have it.

11. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Here's a video of me shaving with a 180 year old straight razor. Still works fine after all these years and no replaceable blades!

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I'm a satisfied Merkur owner.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ever since they started selling bags of disposable, double bladed razors I buy a bag of em' once a year and a couple cans of the cheapest shaving cream they got...maybe $20 a year or so? To be honest I don't even think about shaving till I read one of these threads...LOL!

14. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

5 blade razors.....anything to make a buck now days.
    They'd be hawking weed whackers as 'electric razors', if they thought the buying public was dumb enough?

15. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Just picked one up for myself a few months back. I'll never go back to closed comb DEs again.

Attached Files:

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That's my style nailed in one. I wouldn't use any other shaving method. ;)

17. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

The amazing thing about the single and double edge safety razors by Gem, Gillette and the like from about 1901 to 1970 is that they work so well. Why did people switch? Before I started shaving with straight razors, I used a circa 1905 Gem Bar Junior single edge safety razor that is still in my rotation and works like a dream.

18. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Just add me to the list of satisfied users of the safety razor.

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Because Gillette perfected the business model it started with DE razors - cheap handle, large pool of repeat business with patented blades. There wasn't massive profit in single steel blades, and others started making blades that could fit their razors.

Two pivoting blades was actually a good innovation. Then they threw millions at advertising. Then they got greedy and stupid and kept adding more, selling the story more was better. For them, yes.

Once you've tried a DE, you realise what a massive scam cartridges are.

20. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

+1 I started shaving with a straight razor because I thought it would just be a cool thing to learn how to do. I spent about $400 to get into it and it takes a bit longer with the prep time but besides the shave, there is something about it that is just so cool. My girlfriend likes to watch so there must be some Zen-Manhood thing about it. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.