1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ray Price style shuffle tele tunes???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ward, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

I'm really into Ray Price style shuffle tunes right now, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas for sample tunes I can listen to steal a few licks.

Thanks, Ward

2. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Crazy Arms? I think most of what you'll be copying are steel licks. i never really thought of RP when I thought of songs with a lot of guitar playing in them.

3. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

I just mean the general shuffle style. I saw Johnny Hiland a few years ago do a cover of Crazy Arms that was amazing, with pedal steel licks, volume swells, etc. I guess I'm just looking for similar recordings. Even if it was 6 different versions of Crazy Arms, as long as there's some good guitar in it.

Ward

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to listen to our local heros here like Redd, Bill Hullet and so on. They might even go in their studios and whip you up 6 version of Crazy Arms! I know Redd has some CDs for sale and Bill might as well.

5. Flannel Pat

Flannel Pat Tele-Holic

Bill Kirchen does a sick version of Crazy Arms. Try to track down a bootleg that was in about 1992 or so, somewhere in DC with Tom Principato and Danny Gatton on the same bill, it's awesome. It was some kind of benefit show for Dave Elliot.

6. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

I found a good version here in case anyone's interested. It's Redd Volkaert, Bill Kirchen and Cindy Cashdollar.

Crazy Arms

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

How about Larrybill's version of "The Other Woman"?:D

8. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

man, that's always been my favorite Ray Price song! Ray's version ain't exactly a Tele song, but it can be adapted into a swingin' kickass bar song. when we were starting the Stragglers, i wanted to get that one on the list and suggested to the bassman that he sing it. he said, oh no, you sing it! ... tough song to sing if your wife's in the audience, unless she can view it as transcendental art, which mine can't (nor his, judging from his reaction)!

9. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'm waiting for "Take off Country Shuffle Guitar". :lol:

10. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

One of my favorites as well. A band I was in a few years ago used to play it. The bass player sang it. He was divorced.

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

How could I forget "Maiden's Prayer"?

12. Freedom Fries

Freedom Fries Former Member

City Lights, Heartaches by the Number, The Wild Side of Life, Lonely Street, Are You Sure, etc.

13. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Search around for any Johnny Bush stuff. He has some great versions of RP songs, and many of his own songs out there that are great swing shuffles, usually with a tele at the lead. At least when I've seen him live.

14. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Transcendental art...yeah right woodman. She'll go for it. Good one!

"....and more important, I feel wanted again. I can't give up the other woman in my life"

I worked with a guy who sang that song and he used "...and more important, I feel..ahh...what the hell is that I feel?":)

I can't say much for Tele applications but some more of my favorites are "April's Fool" and "Somewhere in Texas". The "Greatest Hits Vol 4, By Request" is a good collection.

When Ray is not on the road I get the honor of working with his guitar player Glenn Fleming and one of his fiddlers Dale Morris Jr. Ray's band is not lacking in talent for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.