Ray Charles thoughts on Elvis Presley

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marquee Moon, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

I really like Ray Charles and grew up listening to him. I remember we used to listen to his album Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music all the time in the kitchen. I understand why he feels the way he does, but imo rock n roll and all american music is about different cultures and groups influencing each other.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

It would be interesting to hear his take on open mic blooze.

I always liked Elvis and Ray Charles but I can understand and respect where he's coming from. It's kind of like if someone were to ask Blind Dogg Fulton what he thought about Joe "Bonna" Massa.

SnidelyWhiplash and String Tree like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked Ray Charles, but man, I grew up with Elvis he was the KING! I wish I hadn't heard Ray bagging on Elvis, cause now I gotta clean out any old Ray Charles stuff I might have around here, and just throw it on the ground.

Good by Ray.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And that is the thing about music....individual tastes vary.

I always felt that Elvis was over-rated and never really liked the Beetles for that matter. Saying that often gets people to light torches and start building a gallows, but it is the truth...to me. Elvis did come along at the right time, but his impact can't be denied nor his showmanship. I give him his props for all of that, but he is not a favorite of mine.

I think we have to give credibility to Ray here as he is closer to the truth than most of us. Those that are more aware of what goes on behind the curtain likely know better. Take Robin Williams for a moment. To many, he was one of the most creative and brilliant comics ever to hit the scene. To a lot of his contemporaries, Robin was considered a hack and a thief who stole nearly all of his acts from others. When I was on the comedy circuit back in '89 I heard it all the time from the veteran comics and some, like Gallagher, was not hesitant to speak out about it publicly.

5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

He didn't seem to say anything so terrible to me. I took it like asking someone from the original punk scene to talk about Green Day or Blink 182. How can it not be kind of lame?

I also wanted to address this idea of turning our backs on others because we disagree. I assumed that you will no longer like Ray Charles and will get rid of his stuff because Ray does not hold Elvis in high regard.

I briefly turned my back on Josh Homme from Queens of the Stoneage like this but, that was because he kicked a (sanctioned) female photographer in the face during a performance.

wulfenganck and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Aw gee I was only funnin'. Besides I'm thinking them old boys don't much care one way or the other.

7. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I wonder what he would say about the Ray Charles singers, hey hey hey ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I understand where he's coming from, but he is a blind man, after all, and he might not have truly understood how pretty Elvis was. That was certainly part of the equation. And he could only be told about his moves. Also, it's probably not right to call "Jailhouse Rock" "black music" since it was written by a pair of Jewish guys, and I believe that Elvis was the first to perform it. There was also more than a little country in his music, as there was in Chuck Berry's. That reminds me of a recent incident at my daughter's junior high show choir when a pair of parents literally cried "cultural appropriation" when some white kids sang "Georgia," which was written not by Ray Charles but by a pair of white guys.

Dave W, El Tele Lobo, drf64 and 5 others like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I kinda wish he hadn't been quite as blunt or harsh as he was, but Ray was basically right about everything. I probably appreciate Elvis a LITTLE more today than I did in the fifties, he already seemed a bit passe' to me even then, and I definitely love Ray Charles more today than I did then, so maybe it all evens out. One man's musical assimilation is another's musical theft. It's just there sure was a lot of "assimilation" going on back then.

Tonemaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah.....there's plenty of ignorance to go around.

El Tele Lobo and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Good point that he was blind, never really though of that.

A MASSIVE portion of Elvis's appeal was visual IMO.

12. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

I see what you did there!

(Said Ray Charles never.)

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think Ray was not Elvis' audience... like so many artists who speak to listeners that may not be us. My kids love Post Malone... and he is a nice kid (like Elvis was) but, I do not hear anything of interest TO ME.

But, I don't think he sucks, I think I don't understand it and it isn't for me. Ray ripping on Elvis is not a good look for Ray, but, he is just kind of being a grouchy old man.

Stubee, String Tree and Skully like this.
  14. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

you know why Ray Charles can't see his friends...............cause he's married.............and yes not living either

That woulda worked better if this was a Stevey Wonder thread

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I'm sure Ray was happy to cash the royalty check;)

16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

d4f78dd65b18913d0a30128f074e9d9c.jpg

stevemc, Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Ray Charles on Bro Country, I'd Love to hear that!

18. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I don't understand where Ray is coming from at all. Elvis did not steal music from black people. Just like blacks did not steal country from whites. The history of country music and blues is not white and black.

The first blues songs was wrote and published by a white man called The Dallas Blues in 1912. And blacks were already recording music so it's not like they couldn't have been first. Sylvester Weaver recorded a song in 1923 called The Guitar Rag which went on to be a huge influence on country guitar and he was a black man.

Country music and blues music is so old that the origins of either one is not perfectly known. Both were created and played by whites and blacks over generations and are both truly American roots music. And the blues did not come from Africa like a lot of people believe. It is American roots music. The banjo did however come from Africa and was first popular among blacks, then whites & blacks. Then became a primarily white instrument.

When things began to really separate was around 1923 when records companies, radio stations, and governments said hey we can't have blacks and whites being marketed doing the same type songs. Even though both races helped create both. So they created race labels for blacks and hillbilly for whites. Take a song like In The Pines by Lead Belly. Probably a song passed down for generations. What a great old blues (race) song. Then take a song like In The Pines by Bill Monroe. What a great old hillbilly (country) song. One was pushed towards one race and vice versa. It really was the powers that be that tried to separate the music.

Take Jimmy Rogers and Robert Johnson. One the father of country and one the father of the blues. They did a lot of similar sounding stuff. 12 bars blues, more country stuff, jump rhythm type stuff. Of course they we're also unique just like artist today.

Also Ray Charles seemed to forget that many radio stations wouldn't play Elvis songs and TV stations would only film him from the waist up. Is he the only guy that ever happened to?

It's just a long history that has been separated when in reality white didn't invent country and blacks didn't invent the blues. Both helped create each, and both are American Roots music.

jonnyfez, tonytrout, Jerry J and 3 others like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I stood not six feet from Ann Margertte one time in Las Vegas. I was working at the Desert Inn she was playing two hands of Chemin de fer at a time for big markers, more than I would have made in a year. If she had touched me, I would have died right there, and not have lived to tell this tale. Most beautiful woman I ever saw in person. Elvis Pressley has my admiration, if only for his time with her.

warrent and nojazzhere like this.
  20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it might be a “black thing.” My guitar instructor who’s still a good friend, is a professional musician, played with Parliment-Funkadelic, did the Monterey Pop Festival with Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth, and backed up about every 50’s and 60’s act around. He can’t stand Elvis and I couldn’t even bring him up in discussion. He just didn’t want to hear it. He too believed Elvis got the credit for music that wasn’t his, and that the blacks didn’t get the credit (and money) they deserved. I grew up loving Elvis and accordingly believe there’s a middle ground to be sought on the subject.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.