Rattling in the neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nosuch, Oct 11, 2019.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I hope I can post his here though the guitar is not a tele.
    I received an Ibanez GB10 on monday. I had to mailorder because no local shop carries these – and I got a very good price.
    Overall a great guitar and it came set up perfectly – but after some playing I noticed a rattle when playing certain intervalls and notes. Thought it was my amp but it's there when played without an amp. I also noticed that tapping the back of the neck reveals that something seems to be loose.

I contacted the shop and they adviced me to tighten the truss rod a bit. I tried but to no avail, even if I force the neck into a convex bow.

I made a recording just the guitar, no amp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1udy5262f2c9nq0/Ibanez_GB10_neck_rattle.mp3?dl=0

Maybe you have an idea what could be the problem?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  2. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

I was going to suggest the truss rod. I've had it before when the nut on the top has worked it's was loose and causes a sort of fuzz.

Have you gone around everything with a screwdriver/spanner. The nuts on the machine heads may have worked a little loose?

nosuch and Greggorios like this.
  3. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I listened to you sample recording. It’s hard to tell. I hear a thin and high pitch sound with each note, is that it? Reminds me of a snare drum. Are you positive it is not a buzz from a high fret (or low action)?

The guitar is an acoustic (or semi?) so something may be rattling against the top or back. It may be a wire from the electronic wiring just touching the top from the inside, try to have a look inside (through the f-hole) and see if you can gently move the cables with a stick (don’t drop it inside).

Then you have to check every part of the guitar. Move your finger on every part and try to locate the one that is rattling. It may be a switch or pot, the pickup , pickguard, tailpiece, headstock too (tuners, nut)..;

Hopefully you find something that is not well tightened and can be fixed easily.

If that inspection/setup gives no result, return the guitar.

nosuch and Greggorios like this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I agree with Lowcaster... also check the nut slot on the offending strings .. the slot should slope back and down away from the fingerboard so the string rests on a sharp front edge as it exits on the way to the bridge...and this may sound stupid but check the fret clearances... it doesn't take much... and one high spot can impact several strings. a fret leveling is probably in order... it always is on new guitars... unless it is specified as done already..

r

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    ale.istotle, Ron R, 1bad914 and 2 others like this.
  5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I took the guitar to a local shop today I visited to take care of the rattles of my ES330 (which I bought) – the technician told me (about the 330) that rattles and vibrations are immanent in this kind of guitars (WTF?) – but will have a detailed look at the Gibson (so I left it there). He took a quick look at the Ibanez too but couldn't figure out the problem. So I send it back to the shop I bought it from for a fix or refund.

Until the expensive guitars return I'll enjoy my cheap and rattle-free Ibanez Artcore! Damn!

Arch Stanton likes this.
  6. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I'm no expert, but I can't help think that if I bought an Ibanez, I'd probably want a bridge upgrade. If you've got rattle, it's gotta be either the nut, the bridge, or the trussrod adjustment. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...) The cheaper guitars are gonna have crappy Bridges with finicky saddles that buzz no matter what you do. But twenty dollars on a new bridge may solve the problem.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Yes that's it

Yes, I am.

It's an archtop, overbuilt to be a solid tool and reduce feedback.
    I have tightened every screw on the guitar, tightened and released the trussrod, showed it to the local store's technician. The rattle (or snare) wouldn't disappear. So I send it back. I hope they can either repair or replace it – I love the tone of these GB models.

8. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Well, it's an ebony bridge and cheap it ain't – maybe the GB is even the most expensive Ibanez?
    But btw. I have the cheapest Ibanez archtop too, and there is no problem with rattles, neither with stock adjustable bridge nor with the wooden bridge I fitted to give it a more acoustic tone.

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

The rattle (snare, buzz?) is most pronounced when playing the third with f# (3rd string, 11th fret) and a (2nd string, 10th fret) – but none of these notes alone. To me it sounds like a sympathetic vibration (LowCaster listened to the recording I provided and said it reminds him of a snare). Tapping the neck I hear something vibrating inside (also in the recording).
    Would I have the bad luck to get the only dog in a 1000 of Ibanez guitars?

Anyway I sent it back to the shop – after all I bought it new – so they have to figure it out (I hope they can)

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

This right here is what I'd consider an expert opinion.

11. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

Maybe the tailpiece? You have a split tailpiece (from the GB10 image on Ibanez' site), the two halves sit very close and you say 2nd and 3rd string is most pronounced so that is two notes on adjacent strings on one side of the tailpiece. Is it possible the buzz is against the other tailpiece section or where the tailpiece parts come together?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Return it, it's got a bad truss rod. I had a bad one on a higher end Fender Strat I bought new. Often a truss rod rattle is something you feel more than can hear. Weave paper or cloth in the strings behind the bridge & above the nut to make sure you aren't hearing strings.

ale.istotle likes this.
  13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

This mistery buzz thing is a real pain. Once it took me half an hour to find out that it was the clip-on tuner on the headstock that was rattling! :rolleyes:

14. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

Agreed! I had one that was caused by loose hex nut on a tuner. I kept checking string clearance, fret level, bridge hardware - found the hex nut when restringing.

15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I see it's more common than I expected.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.