Rattlesnakes of Arizona - 9 species of venomous pit vipers from Sonoran desert

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Awesome video.
I was taught to catch snakes around 20 years ago, I went to many training days and got to handle the Eastern brown snake on various occasions and on one memorable day I handled a Western Taipan.
I've been bitten by red belly black snakes twice and did a few weeks in hospital for the last one and very nearly lost my left index finger which would have made guitar a tad difficult.
Never handled a rattle snake though which isn't surprising given they belong to a different continent.
Here's a pic of a redbelly for your viewing pleasure and definitely not mine.
rb sanke.jpg

Last edited:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Awesome video.
I was taught to catch snakes around 20 years ago, I went to many training days and got to handle the Eastern brown snake on various occasions and on one memorable day I handled a Western Taipan.
I've been bitten by red belly black snakes twice and did a few weeks in hospital for the last one and very nearly lost my left index finger which would have made guitar a tad difficult.
Never handled a rattle snake though which isn't surprising given they belong to a different continent.
Here's a pic of a redbelly for your viewing pleasure and definitely not mine.
View attachment 933299

Gutsy stuff!
I've been trained up as a snake catcher (thru my work) but we use an implement to herd them into a sack. I've yet to actually put the skills to use, and I'm not in a hurry to either! Snakes don't bother me as much as spiders do!

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Rattlesnakes fascinate me. Probably the worst snake to bit by in North America. (Particularly the Pacific Rattler). You get bit by a Copperhead, or even a Cottonmouth and you prob don't even need antivenom.

You get bit by a rattler, and chances are you are in for one hell of a ride...(if you make it.) As a guitarist, I steer clear of handling em.

If I lost a finger due to picking up a snake...I would probably end it all!

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
Rattlesnakes fascinate me. Probably the worst snake to bit by in North America. (Particularly the Pacific Rattler). You get bit by a Copperhead, or even a Cottonmouth and you prob don't even need antivenom.

You get bit by a rattler, and chances are you are in for one hell of a ride...(if you make it.) As a guitarist, I steer clear of handling em.

If I lost a finger due to picking up a snake...I would probably end it all!

Mojave Greens have both neurotoxic and hemotoxic venom, and are aggressive. I have heard of people being chased by one.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya. Mojave most dangerous and the eastern the biggest. I had no idea of all the different species in Arizona

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Gutsy stuff!
I've been trained up as a snake catcher (thru my work) but we use an implement to herd them into a sack. I've yet to actually put the skills to use, and I'm not in a hurry to either! Snakes don't bother me as much as spiders do!
I should have used my modified golf club to herd it into the bag but because I'd been doing it for years I got overconfident and made a mistake. Nowdays I just do tree snakes and carpet pythons...Black snakes make me super nervous now for some unfathomable reason.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Cottonmouth may not be as venomous, but I’ve never seen a mob of rattlesnakes swimming where I’m water-skiing! :eek:

Personally, I like rattlesnakes. What other dangerous animal tries to tell you you’re being stupid before you do something stupid? :D

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I kind of wanted to see a rattler from a safe distance when we were hiking around Sedona a few years ago. I didn’t which I guess is just as well.