Rattle can TV yellow

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jim Sams, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

I am working on my second TV yellow finish and have a question...
    Is Mohawk Blond toner a path to success?
    Reran has is too banana yellow and Gracys sprays on horribly.
    Any better products?

Mr Green Genes and nojazzhere like this.
  2. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

i got some pretty nice results with reranch amber tint cuz i wanted lotsa grain reveal... if you don't want the grain reveal, perhaps play with some light colored undercoats before amber tinting ? i am by no means a finish maven tho, just for fun

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

I've always thought reranch yellow was really popular for tv yellow.

howardlo likes this.
  5. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

The pic below (if it shows up) is Mohawk Blonde toner in an attempt at TV yellow. It is over pine if you can't tell by the knot hole, so it wasn't going to be perfect, but I bet you could get a very convincing TV Yellow on mahogany if you did a white/pickling stain then applied a dark grain filler and followed with Mohawk Blonde.
    [​IMG]

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

Blue Bill, zippofan and Telekarster like this.
  7. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Like Butterscotch Blonde, if TV Yellow is done the traditional way, the base is "white" and the yellow is put on with the clear. That's why all the pre-mixed TV Yellows are more '70s/'80s style.

The original way... "Limed" finish from White/Milk White/Pickling White/White Wash/Mary Kaye/Blonde; then grain fill; then spray tinted clear.

BTW, I'm currently spraying Gracey's Mary Kaye right now (still needs a another coat). I tested Mohawk White Wash toner but found it too bright. I always swap out the tips with ArtPrimo calligraphy tips and it has been spraying on really well (will add one more coat). The Art Primo fit Stewmac, Mohawk, Gracey's and (IIRC) Reranch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Mr Green Genes and urbandefault like this.
  8. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I’ll try to warm up the graceys can and try it on a sample again. Otherwise I might give the whitewash a shot maybe topped with amber tint lacquer

9. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Dan Erlewine goes into detail about this in the Stewmac finishing book (recommended!).

The trend in the '50s was light color furniture, often made with lighter woods like ash, birch, etc. "Liming" was the process of making dark woods like mahogany and walnut look like lighter wood. They would white wash the wood to hide the natural color, then grain fill afterwards to bring back the "wood" appearance so that it didn't just look painted. This was a little before my time, but I'm old enough to remember these pieces around some households and used furniture shops.

Mr Green Genes and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Maybe I need to read that book.
    Tried the gracies again and it was awful. I’ll change the spray nozzle and try one last time.

11. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Sorry the pic did not show up. Can you retry please?

12. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Trying to attach them rather than paste. With the two bodies sitting on the table, they are both knotty pine with Mohawk blonde sprayed on them - the one with more visible knots I stained the pine before putting the toner on, just to bring out the grain a bit. The one with less knots showing I did the same but sprayed some white shellac over the stain, sanding most of the way through the white until the grain showed, and then did the Toner - there is a bit more toner on that one. The light from my flash makes them look a bit more pale, so the second pic shows it in a different light. In real life it is not quite as pale as the first picture and not quite as yellow as the second. Blonde 1.jpg Blonde 2.jpg

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Bloody hell that's a massive difference between photos!!

14. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Here is another shot of Mohawk Blond Toner -

[​IMG]

Colors can vary so much depending on things like the viewing monitor and the type off lighting used when taking the picture.

The finish on the guitar above was about as simple as it gets.

The sequence -

Sanding sealer

Neutral grain filler

Sanding sealer

Blond toner

Finish coat

The Mohawk blond toner is real nice to work with.

The color is diluted enough to enable you to creep up on level of transparency or opacity that you want.

You can get any effect you want, from just a hint of blond, all the way to a solid blond color.

Despres, Wallaby and Mr Green Genes like this.
  15. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Thanks. I should have the Mohawk today.
    I’m thinking whitewash, grainfill, blond toner, clear

Mr Green Genes and old wrench like this.
  16. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Do a test spray with the toner so you can gauge it's coverage, even if it's just on a piece of cardboard :)

With light coats sprayed from the right distance, it's pretty easy to get a nice and even uniform coverage even if you are going for a lighter shade of blond.

17. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Moe- Larry- Cheese! wub wub wub....

Be careful of what you read on the internet, and I wouldn't be so quick to cite ReRanch as a resource (at least when it comes to TV yellow):

Mm. If this were the case, they'd be using the finish on their high end instruments, the ones most likely to be featured on television. Instead, it was only offered on the Les Paul Jr, their inexpensive student-grade model.

The Les Paul and Les Paul Custom were only available in gold, burst, or black. No "TV Yellow" (which was never called "TV Yellow", it was "limed Mahogany", which was only available on the Les Paul Jr TV Model).

Les Paul preferred black guitars. They were supposedly fixing a problem that didn't exist. Les Pauls weren't even available in white until the 1970s.

Lime green?!

Enough. The "official" name for the color was "Limed Mahogany", which was a very popular blonde wood furniture finish in the 1950s. It was called limed mahogany because the wood was treated with calcium hydroxide, also known as lime. Lime is white, and has absolutely nothing to do with citrus fruits. Nothing.

Limed Mahogany was the finish available on the LP JR TV model.

Great. More with the fruit. Research? Reliable sources?!

That must be it. They couldn't get the finish to work, but they decided to use it on their instruments anyway, rather than use any of the readily available finishes that do work. C'mon, guys. When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Okay, enough.

In the 1950s, Gibson came out with the Les Paul, an expensive, carved-top, bound solid body guitar, available in gold, burst, or black. They weren't selling very many.

At the same time, Fender was selling lots and lots of Telecasters, which were relatively inexpensive unbound solid slab-bodied guitars, available in one color: blonde.

In an attempt at capturing some of the market share that Fender was dominating, Gibson decided to come out with an inexpensive, unbound, solid slab bodied guitar that could compete with the telecaster.

During development, it was referred to as the "Les Paul Jr, Telecaster Version". For obvious reasons, they couldn't market it as such, instead referring to it as the "Les Paul Jr, TV Model". Nothing to do with television sets.

With that in mind, take another look at the Les Paul JR TV Model and see if the body and pickguard colors look familiar:

Gibson57LPTV_5AUG2015_22.jpg

See why doing a Telecaster in "TV Yellow" seems a bit perverse?

Limed Mahogany was Gibson's imitation of Fender Blonde (now known as "vintage blonde").

It's a semi-translucent white with a nitrocellulose lacquer topcoat. Just as with the Fender Blonde finish, the yellow comes from the lacquer topcoat ambering over time. If it's on ash or alder, it's Fender Blonde. If it's on mahogany, it's Limed Mahogany. Same finish, same color.

The monkey chased the weasel.

gerhard_k likes this.
  18. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

There you go. Post some pics along the way!

19. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

After posting that, I tried taking about 10 different photos - it is like if I am closer than 4 feet it is really pale like the first one and further than that it shows up as safety yellow. I guess my photo skills aren't really that great, but I thought I could get at least one half-way between to show what it 'really' looks like.

This is the best I can do - the one on the left is the one with some white shellac under it, the one on the right just blond toner over stained pine.
    PXL_20210405_203841136.jpg

Mad Kiwi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.