Rattle Can finish - polly

Missing Link

Tele-Meister
Hey folks, this post is just to pass on a possible polyurethane finish that you may want to use in a pinch.
For starts I usually use a nice wipe on polyurethane finish (5-10 coats) or my compressor with a spray gun but my compressor is elsewhere and I am out of wipe on polly.
So went shopping for more wipe on polly and while checking out the products I came across a rattle can of polyurethane made by Varathane called Tripe Thick polyurethane saying three coats in one. This pecked my interest as most pollys in a spray can are thin and almost dry while being sprayed due to the thinning agents they use, like in Min Wax polly spray, hate that stuff.
Now some of you may be one up on me about this product but it is new to me so I am passing on the results from today's finishing project to maybe others that may want to give this a try for a finish.
First I am a lover of Ash wood and it's natural grain lines so most all my guitars I build now are Ash wood and with the grain to were you can feel it on the surface, that natural feel. I like the gran valleys to appear smooth when viewed and I always darken the grain before hand.
Well this Varathane spray just blew me away with just the one coat that I applied. I comes out of the can in a spray pattern almost as good as my spray gun so do not go slow or you risk runs. Practice as I did with some of the same wood type to get a feel of the spray and it pattern. The guitars body should be horizontal to work on for spraying in my opinion no matter how you apply your finish. This stuff is defiantly a self leveling finish (wet) so it needs to go on at a cans distance from the surface and at maybe 45 degree angle, and overlapping each side. Outside temp here today was 98 degrees and a humidity of 19%, perfect for shooting a finish. It is clear gloss but says nothing about the possibility of yellowing latter but that okay with me anyway if it does.
At first I believed I had fish eye in the finished after spraying but it leveled out nicely and diapered, smooth and glossy as it should be. The pictures really do not show how good it turned out but for me I would use this again over any other polly spray can product. One coat and it does look like at least two. I have the protection I wanted and a good looking surface with the grain lines.
Again just passing what I think on so for $10 if you can find in in your neck of the woods I recommend you at least test it out.
Comes in satin, and clear far as I no.
Was shot over 4 coats of Min Wax fake tung oil, lightly sanded with 2000 grit then one coat of Triple Thick.

Attachments

• DL287946.jpg
    DL287946.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DL287947.jpg
    DL287947.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DL287948.jpg
    DL287948.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DL287949.jpg
    DL287949.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DL287942.jpg
    DL287942.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 74

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Really accentuates the unfilled grain for those who may want that effect. The look reminds me of all those stripped and poly-refinned. Strats from the 70s -- and Fender's own "Natural" thick finish that they used in response to the trend.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry, but I can't share your enthusiasm with the finished product. Looks like it was applied with a roller.

Missing Link

Tele-Meister
I don't think I would use this a lot on my work but this was a trial and if if failed it would be a simple sand it off and start again.
It did look like it was rolled on probably due to it was still wet in the picture, it actuly self leveled and laid fairly flat. End result was very nice.
I personally like to see the wood gain on the surface ( to a point) compared to the two part polyurethane thick coats that are used on most all production guitars. Kind of looks like wood in-cased in plastic. Anyway it's a keeper and the stuff is not to bad. just passing it on
Cheers guys

Attachments

• DL147962.jpg
    DL147962.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 35
  • DL147963.jpg
    DL147963.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 35

Missing Link

Tele-Meister
Yesterday I had some time to use some 400 wet and dry to level the surface and micro pads to give this a final wet sand to a glass finish and it truly worked well. The walnut pick guard is with some imperfections as in not as flat but its walnut. Good stuff.

Attachments

• DL187968.jpg
    DL187968.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 24