Rats VS My 5E3 Deluxe........ ugh

dhodgeh

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I store a good bit of gear in one of those climate controlled storage units. The outfit I rent from is considered one of the better companies in town.

I was last in my unit in mid-April. I went yesterday to retrieve a guitar and as soon as I walked into the building I was almost knocked down by a horrible stench. Opened my unit and immediately notice rat turds all over the place.

Ran down management, who just happened to be in the building accessing the situation at that time. Was informed that the infestation was discovered in the past few weeks, and they had just completed notification to the tenants with the outside non climate units. I reported what I had found and they asked for a key so the exterminator could set a trap in my unit.

Told Wifey what was going on, and she wanted to check a second unit we have there that contains her Mom's stuff (in another building on the other side of the compound). All clear there, so we went to check my unit again.

After visiting my unit, we decided to ask if we could move to another building. They had a same size unit in the same building as the one with wifey's mom's stuff, so I spent the day re-boxing everything and decided to take my amps (three vintage Fenders, one boutique DR clone, and three tweed homebrews) apart to check for any damage. My amps all looked good until I pulled my Mission 5E3 from the wall, and this is what I found:

52147352281_b43378bbd0_c.jpg

(I have no clue where they pulled those blue ribbons from)

Not only did they chew up a bit of the cab and speaker, plus chewing through the power chord, the buggers used the cab for their toilet, so the cab stinks to high heaven. Was not going to take it the new unit to stink it up and wifey was not letting it into the house as well. So the cab and what is left of the speaker it sitting in the green house, and the chassis (minus the power chord) is in the garage.

During the day, the manager came up to me to inform they had found a bag of dog food in one of units, and they figure that is what had drawn the rats in.

I had found one of the ultrasonic pest repellers that is battery powered and does a pretty good job. Just ordered a couple to put into our two units (just in case).

Even though the 5E3 cab is not really damaged that much, I don't think I will ever get that smell out of it. So, it's time to shop for a new cab and speaker and get that sucker back in the game.

D

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Rats and mice love the soy based "rubber" coating on cords they use now!
Mice have gotten into my closed truck and made a nest in the glove box.
Go figure...
They have destroyed the lining in two of my pedalboard soft cases and many cords in the cord case.
Wrap those amps in thick garbage bags and tape them shut . "out of sight out of mouse mind"

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
Even though the 5E3 cab is not really damaged that much, I don't think I will ever get that smell out of it. So, it's time to shop for a new cab and speaker and get that sucker back in the game.

D

And you're giving them the bill?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Honda Automotive Division doesn't advertise this--but they use a rodent deterrent (hot pepper) in the plastic insulation of their wire looms. It works.
Wow! Good for them for being in touch. I remember I knew a guy with a Cadillac that the mice got under the hood and pretty much destroyed the car via eating up the wiring...

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow! Good for them for being in touch. I remember I knew a guy with a Cadillac that the mice got under the hood and pretty much destroyed the car via eating up the wiring...

I have a Toyota truck that uses a 14" length of plastic tubing to connect the fuel pump on the fuel tank to the steel fuel line. Squirrels chewed on it and put several pin holes in it, and when pressurized by the pump it dripped gasoline. Friggin' tree rats! I wrapped the replacement part with several layers of aluminum tape to deter the critters. It has worked thus far. Fingers crossed...

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I thank God every now and again that we have an actual government run department we call the Rat Patrol to keep my area rat free. They take it pretty serious here
Screenshot_20220615-090719_Chrome.jpg

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Happened to me earlier this year. The squirrels did $5k of damage to the wiring in my new car.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's

You might try hitting it with odo-ban and letting it sit in the sun - get some nice vintaging going on it. It will help - not sure it will completely eliminate it. Best of luck there. Had mice eat through the ignition wiring of my old Mercedes 300D - insurance handled it so not so bad, except for all the trouble.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Happened to me earlier this year. The squirrels did $5k of damage to the wiring in my new car.
Seems like a class action suit against wire makers and car makers is in order. You dont HAVE to cover wire with a soy based product...