1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rate my fret job

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SammyC, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

HOSCO crowning files. Excellent at what they do. I have a couple, and recently levelled and crowned the frets on my new player telecaster.

2. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

Ah great, thanks. I see they do two types one with a handle and one without. Any suggestions?

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

+1 to all of this. That curved end lets you file a little bit more at a particular spot, without having to worry about a long straight file cutting too much on either side. Don't get the cheaper files, just get this one.

And if we're being honest, most of our first attempts to level and file frets didn't look very great. It's something that will get better with practice. But it's reassuring when even your first job improves the playability of a guitar!

Peegoo likes this.
  4. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

Yeah, the advice here illustrated what I should be focusing on (crown shape) and really helped me when I went back again today.

Much happier with the result now and it's made a previously unplayable guitar half decent! It won't fix the bridge being too close and not being able to intonate the G string properly but the frets are now great and the action is pretty good too :)

But it's also shown me that I don't want to do this to the beautiful new neck I have for my current build and so I need to invest in a proper crowning file!

5. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

A fret crowning file would go a long way for you. I bought a used stewmac diamond file with lots of life left in it and it's fabulous.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

My first fret job--I butchered a garage-sale beater and ended up having to preplace the frets. It was great practice, but I was disgusted with my hamfistedness. Every time you do a fret job you learn something new or different. And each job gets you better results.

Fretwork is just like nut work: precision and small dimensions (i.e., one or two thousandths of an inch) can make the difference between a good job and a really great job. You have to sneak up on perfection and know when to stop when you get there. You'll get there :cool:

7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

8. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

9. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

Ok, bought a diamond crowning file and a selection of high grit papers.

What do you think:

These are stainless frets, so pretty hard.

It took quite some time as the file is a 300 grit one so pretty slow. It's not perfect I'm sure but personally I think it looks great and so much better than my previous efforts!

Hopefully that's me done with fret maintenance for a while anyway :)

2manyteles likes this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Much better!! BTW, which diamond file did you end up with?

11. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

I used this one, a small hand made file in the UK:

https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/...itar-Fret-Crowning-File-with-Oak-Handle-TF085

For the price I didn't think it would matter if it didn't work.

I tested on another guitar before using it on the neck above. Really nice little pack of file and fine grit paper for polishing.

I don't know if more mainstream files would be better or faster but it worked and gave me the result I was looking for! One more job ticked off the list

12. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

BTW, thank you all for the help and advice, this was one job I was really worried about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.